Space Guard (Faction)

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

SpaceGuard
Ensign
Ensign

Space Guard (Faction)

Post by SpaceGuard »

Welcome to Space Guard! One of the higher military and police forces in the universe we strive to create a healthier safer universe for you to explore! What do we do? We work with the Space Navy and Space Police to make sure that justice IS served throughout the universe. We go beyond what the military restricts in size and firepower and create warships capable of taking down a Leviathan in less than a minute (this is actually true, it has been tested and proved). Space Guard has been around for a long time, dating back to when the wright brothers were born. Then we were a secret organization, decades past what the rest of the planet had discovered, when the wright brothers were testing flight, e were making hover crafts. By the time the first Russian space probe was launched we had already gone to the moon, but had erased all evidence we were ever there. By modern day we were still secret but were already protecting earth from alien invaders, and now, when the earths population has been able to make jump engines we have gone public (and have been for about ten years) and are now a sort of private military!

We would rather arrange peaceful negotiations than fight other factions and kill others, but if you want war we won't hesitate to raise guns if we need to.

We are now recruiting!! Here's some job opportunities:
---------------------------------------------------
Ship Builder (People who can make ships look badass and are pro at making ships)
Ambassador (People who can arrange peace offerings and negotiations)
Researcher (People who will work along side with Ship Builders to help arm them while not making them look like a pile of guns)
Ship Tester (If were gonna produce more ships were gonna need people who can test them and make sure they're worth requisitioning)
Soldier (someone who simply helps out in wars by commanding ships on there game)
EXPERIENCED Commanders (To get THIS position you need a reference who says that you ARE good at piloting fleets)
Scouts (people who report enemy's movements and what they are doing)
Spy (People who pretend to work with the enemy in order to get information on them [Works with Scout])
Adviser (Someone who tells me the best action to take against other factions or in situations)
-----------------------------------------------------
Yes there ARE A lot of positions open, this is because I'm just introducing this faction to the public! I hope to see some new people here, reply to this thread or you can email me for references and for what job you want.
-----------------------------------------------------
Heres some of our armory!
From left to right (top to bottom) we have: the mothership class Justice, the patrol ship class Interceptor, the patrol ship class Bolt, the Battleship class Lightsword, the Destroyer class Stork, the Battleship class Frontier, the patrol ship class Zeus (yes I know it looks like the Zelus or whatever, but there's a story behind it), and finally the Mobile Repair Station. If all goes well hopefully I will have to add MANY more ships to the list!

I am hoping to see a lot of more recruits and so on, thanks all who will help!
SpaceGuard
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Space Guard (Faction)

Post by SpaceGuard »

FYI All the ships except for the Lightsword and the Stork were made by me from scratch so don't claim I copied someone or some stupid thing like that.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

You'll want to turn of glows and gradients for your screenshots as they change how the ship looks, usually for the worse. Glows is in the colour changing bit in the options menu, just keep going til you see it and turn it to black. I'm sure someone will give proper criticism of your ships but it's not going to be me right now.

That said, what's the point of this idea. What are you trying to achieve here? It feels like an attempt at some sort of metagame but you've given little explanation.

Also I think this would be better placed in the custom ships area (and the ship descriptions and such hashed out a bit more), either way you should delete the duplicate thread.
SpaceGuard
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SpaceGuard »

I'm trying to make a faction, if you have any tips, much appreciated, and I'm going to look into that glow option, thanks! Also if I have to move this thread please tell me how and where to put it.
-Thanks!
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

A mod or admin would move the thread if needed/desired, you can't do it yourself. Let me know if you need better instructions with disabling glow, it's pretty easy.
SpaceGuard
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SpaceGuard »

Bad Boy wrote:A mod or admin would move the thread if needed/desired, you can't do it yourself. Let me know if you need better instructions with disabling glow, it's pretty easy.
Funny you say that I actually do need help, I'm searching the forums now but your response is much appreciated! (I did find the sliders for colors on Player Ship A, Player Ship B so on so forth, but they do not seem to work or do anything, only change the colors of my ships do a rusty red)
SpaceGuard
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SpaceGuard »

I would also like to know how to make ships such as this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5927 I know it takes BILLIONS of parts to make it look like that all together but how do I get that color? Is that what your telling me how to do? Or do I need some kind of custom sprites or something?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

You'd need custom sprites. I'd recommend using the repack: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5764
To change a section's colour you use the colour buttons on the left side (I hope that's where they are, I haven't opened shipmaker in ages).

For the most part everything in shipmaker is pretty self-explanatory or covered in a guide on the forums. You can probably solve a lot of potential problems by working on it yourself or looking through the guides.
SpaceGuard
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SpaceGuard »

Hey thanks! I think I understand a lot here, and I'm sorry if I'm asking you to many questions (if I am just ask and I'll ask someone else) but when I opened it the core was re-textured and all, it has the shadowy effect, it was gray and had a orange center...but all the other parts just seemed to be re-colored. On the page you sent me the re-pack maker had said he included some other packs but I'm not seeing much of that... Any help is appreciated!
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

This should explain things fairly well viewtopic.php?p=85897#85897
And don't worry about it, you're not being annoying about it or anything like that so I have no problems answering your questions. After all most of what I'm doing is posting links, I'll probably be a little slower to reply when it actually means work for me :D
SpaceGuard
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SpaceGuard »

Ok I took a look at that topic you sent me, and it didn't seem to answer my question.....(that is NOT to say it was not helpful) so how do I get those custom part graphics? Do I have to open something in Ship Maker? Or do I have to change some kind of directory? Also I was toying around with the new sprites and when I opened the Custom Sprites folder there were some weapon sprites for weapons I did not know existed, for example, an APC gun sprite...is that just for me to assign to any gun and give it the look of an APC or is there an actual APC gun that I can put on my ship? (also thanks for the help so far!)
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The custom weapon sprites are to visually replace the actual weapons. But they still perform the same. You can also replace the sprites used for bullets. This is done under the edit tabs once you have a weapon selected. At least I think thats what you were asking about. There is a alternate release/mod of the game that adds some weapons; not sure if you already got a link for that.

If I understand you correctly, and apologies to BB if you already answered this more clearly, you are trying to use the custom sprites? There is a folder in your BSF directory titled Custom sprites, which it sounds like you already found, which you put the sprite pack folders into. Be careful not to combine folders or rename any sprites since this changes the file path.

Once this is done you have several options. You can directly select one or more sprites and drag them into your shipmaker window, import individual sprites using the menu, or create/load what is called a .ini file. This is basically a collection of sprites that you load into the shipmaker window where your default sprites are. I recommend that, because you can put hundreds into it. You can switch between four catalogs which I assume you know how to do, plus its a single click to add a sprite, and right mouse button changes the currently selected sprite into the new one. Its not hard to create but I think there is at least one out there already. Hope that helps a bit.

Interestingly, I have almost 6,000 sprites! Some may be duplicates but wow, I didn't realize there were that many!
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Yeah, I assumed the same thing about him trying to use the custom sprites included in the repack which is why I tried to link him directly to the custom sprites import section there. Either way follow jwa's explanation since unlike mine it's an actual explanation and not just a link :)
And by the way jwa, are you still doing the Space Fleet Alpha thing? If not that's too bad, I was enjoying it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Oh yes, definitely am. Just have had some long hours at work so I haven't gotten all the pictures organized or finished writing the dialogue since I wanted to do longer chapters. Won't be long though ;)
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Good to hear on all counts, I look forward to it :)