various tournament proposals

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

various tournament proposals

Post by jwa8402 »

I’ve been contemplating trying my hand at a tournament for a while now so here goes. This will be a combination of things thrown together to hopefully produce something fun.

Phase 1 will be the chain ship build. It will be passed between all the players till it reaches a certain size or is mutually agreed to be finished. The goal here is to build a powerful Titan that we can attack in the final phase.

Phase 2 will be the individual ship contest. The goal here is to come up with approximately ten ships to team up against the chain ship we built in phase 1. It gets more complex than that because players have to build their ships through competition. Each player starts off with 3 sections and a weapon. Two players will face each other and the winner gets the sections and weapons from the loser’s ship. Only those sections, thrusters and weapons. Ships will also be limited by size on how many weapons they can carry. Yet the more sections you add, the slower your ship will get. In this way a small but well built ship can still beat a cobbled together giant. If your ship loses you may enter another ship but could face much more powerful opponents. *depending on how things go, players may be allowed to enter more than one ship at a time, potentially facing their own ships, but with a penalty to the salvage. If you are confused, go play shellcore command for a few hou-I mean minutes and you’ll get the idea.

Phase 3 will really depend on how many ships are entered. Assuming more than ten are submitted and make it through the ladder tournament, we will have a vote to pick the top ten.

Phase 4 will be the culmination, pitting a team of battle hardened cruisers against an enormous Titan.

Phase 5 will see the ships gain sentience as players direct their choices and pick evolutions to research. There will be a mysterious but unresolved plot with aliens overseeing this 'experiment' and an angry deity ranting about how unrealistic and doomed to failure it all is. And cake, there will definitely be cake. The management assures us of it. Just follow the rules and don't touch that butto...Yes that button but don't touch it agai...I can see we are going to have problems here, especially if you took this seriously.

Ok so here are the rules. All are subject to change with reasonable notice and discussion. Additional rules will be added to address problems as they arise. Balance stuff will be posted later on.

Phase 1 rules
-Before you make any changes to the ship, rename it. ie Chainship 1a, Chainship 1b, Chainship 1c.
-Players may add up to 5 sections, or add 3 sections but move/remove 2 previously placed sections. This is to prevent individual styles from being pursued as well as minimize turn length.
-Turns will be three days max. You’re only adding a few sections so it shouldn’t take very long at all to build then repost it.
-We are not using shiny for this build. If a majority of people prefer to use it say so and we can switch.
-As a general rule, we are going for a symmetrical ship. If you want to add random sensors or fuel rods that is fine but it should be towards the end of the build.
-No weapons may be added till I say so. If you want to leave a placeholder gun to show where a turret is supposed to go or something that’s fine but don’t expect it to definitely be used at the end of things.
-A player's additions may be vetoed with a majority vote or just mine if its really atrocious, but I think we have a pretty good group so far.
-When you repost the ship, please make sure to include any custom sections used. It may be assumed that players already have common sections such as Kaelis’s.
-As a courtesy, please pm the next player on the list when you repost the ship.

Phase 2 rules
-No floating sections.
-Rotating sections may be allowed but are subject to heavy moderation.
-Only the weapons, thrusters and sections gained from a defeated opponent may be added, and then only as size limit allows.
-We are not using shiny for this build. If a majority of people prefer to use it say so and we can switch.

Phase 3 rules
-No player may vote for their own ship.
-Each player gets one vote.

Phase 4 rules

Coming soon…

Turn list is as follows.
JWA8402
Wakerz
seiji09
Bad Boy
LactoseTolerant
Doogie12
Tetrarch
Kittenpillar100

This will almost certainly go less smoothly than I’d like it to but hopefully it will be a learning experience for future attempts. Please feel free to suggest anything you think of or I forgot. Any aspect is up for discussion or change. There ya go folks, thats all I can think of for now. Ship is linked below.
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
SMscreen08.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
Chainship 1a.sb4
Sb4 file
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Last edited by jwa8402 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: various tournament proposals

Post by Wakerz »

I'm game, these sound fun. As for the first game, I believe you are thinking of Shellcore Command.
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
seiji09
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiji09 »

Yeah! I wanna trash a super ship along with you guys! XD
My ships aren't overpowered, they're just... Extremely Efficient! XD
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Sure jwa, I could probably dust of sm and make something for this. The ideas are pretty interesting so you should get a decent amount of participation if you leave it open for long enough.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

If you can go for a Shellcore-style tournament, go for it. Sounds like alot of recordkeeping and battle recording. I'm up for it.

As for the mothership, i'm personally against chainship projects due to the general differences in builder styles, and stuff going pearshaped with arms, etc...
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

The first scenario makes me think of Void Hunters, which is a pretty crappy game made by the same morons that programmed Runescape.
I'm all for a chainship, and have been considering starting one for a little while.
I also came up with a similar one to Kiltric's (Is that still going? He hasn't made an appearance since so I have hope). In this version the player is limited to setting the core hp to a certain amount, and is given a number of sections to build with. Add some custom weapon stats in there. No modules. No shields. No resizing sections. Voila! We have, quite possibly, the most basic tournament of all time.
But yea go for it. I particularly like the first one.
Last edited by Doogie12 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

You guys are awesome! I'm happy a fair number of the people I was hoping would join seem interested. I'm going to give it till tomorrow(really I just want to go watch the new episode of walking dead) before I start posting details. Hopefully you guys can help me refine it because I really want it as simple as possible. This isn't primarily meant to create uber nice looking ships so much as a wank-fest slaughter of a mother ship.

And ya I agree about chainships but I think the player pool will be small and mature enough to police itself. If your really worried about it we could put up a general sketch or something so people don't build in totally random directions.

More later.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Well with the chainship, just keep someone (presumably you jwa) in charge of it and let him veto/put to a vote to veto anything he doesn't like. That way if someone does stupid shit we revert to the previous version and let the next person have at it. Pretty simple really and the worst it'll result in is bruised egos.
Tetrarch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tetrarch »

If you start a tournament, I'll sign up. The chainship idea sounds interesting.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ok just some rough ideas to see what you guys think.
-I'm looking for ships under size 150.
-We can have classes based on size if you like, of course speed and hp being affected, but primarily how many weapons you can add. In this situation I'll probably modify it to include number of sections.
-Weapons come in three flavors; beams, projectiles, and missiles. There are not different types of missiles etc though I'm certainly open to swapping/combining numbers though.
-SW uses shields on some ships but armor seems to work too without too much difficulty so we can use either or both.

-The chainship will be in a separate size category but is basically just a scaled up version of those stats.
-I'm thinking each player will be allowed to add like three to five sections per round. This way everyone will get lots of turns without being able to screw it up or make it too much their own style.

More later!
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

Post by kittenpillar100 »

This sounds great! I'm up for it.
I've seen previous chainships and they looked great, just imagine what we could do with the new sprites and such.
I think the induction of "LOL" "OMG" and "<3" into the Oxford English Dictionary is a sign of the End Times. Only, instead of a rider on a pale horse, it'll be a gibberish-spewing spastic in a monster truck named "The Dildozer".
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ok, gotta work early tomorrow but lets go ahead and get a list started. Unless anyone objects I'll just go in the order people posted, and add others as they join.
-Right now this is only for the chainship.
-Rounds will be three days max but thats being generous because each person is only adding 3 sections per turn. This is to prevent a individual styles being pursued and to keep the building time down. When its your turn it should literally take minutes to download, add a few sections, and upload.
-As a courtesy, please pm the next player on the list. If you don't, no harm because I'll try to as well but it makes it easier.

List is as follows, and will be posted in the op.
JWA8402
Wakerz
seiji09
Bad Boy
LactoseTolerant
Doogie12
Tetrarch
Kittenpillar100

I'll probably kick this off tomorrow just so I can finalize a few things. As always, any part of this is up for debate if something isn't working or you have a better idea. My only other question is whether we should use swa or shiny style, though I prefer swa, but its up to you guys so long as we don't mix.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I'm not sure if you've clarified but I assume this is planned to be symmetrical. If so, I'd recommend letting people build only on one side and mirroring. Most people would probably do that anyway but it might be good to make your stance on that clear.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Updated the op with a general plan, rules, and the ship download. Its Wakerz turn so unless I hear otherwise you've got three days. I'll go ahead and pm you to be sure.

If anyone sees anything that should be changed or added, do let me know.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I don't think you've touched on it, how are we going to do colouring? I'm of the opinion that leaving it all stock green makes it pretty difficult to build since you don't have shading or accent colours to work with but that's just how I build (or built). Assuming we do add it in at the end, are we going to vote for a colour scheme or put up our versions of it with a colour scheme or just get you to colour it?