Wakerz' fleet

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Machine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Wakerz' fleet

Post by Machine »

As Doogie12 said, don't use saturated colors with shiny style sprites. Shape wise it does look better, also you should increase the contrast between top and bottom sections, specially since ingame, having gradients on, the difference becomes less noticeable IMO.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

this is my final attempt at shading, if it doesn't work im just going to build the rest of the fleet and worry about it later. also included the files in case you want to have a crack at it and prove i'm colorblind
Attachments
Apocalypse.shp
(15.9 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Apocalypse.sb4
(18.16 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
SMscreen010.png
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

continuing to experiment with different sprite, weapon and ship styles i give you the ethereal experimental reasearch ship. did this as a break from the capitol ship which is proving to be a major brain drain
Attachments
SMscreen015.png
SMscreen015.png (15.83 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

It is done. blech I think ill stick to small ships for now. Next to a hestia for size reference
Last edited by Wakerz on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LongcatX
Commander
Commander
Location: behind you, oh wait, im behind you again ...watching you...

Post by LongcatX »

thats maybe a little TOO big, anyways keep posting its good to see some more life in the fourms.
i am 93.6665% pure randomness.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

Well this ship is supposed to be able to combat any fleet entirely on its own, regardless of the enemy, its supposed to dwarf even flagships, i'm intentionally making it massive. btw I must give credit to Anna for inspiring me to make something this massive i was looking at his really old stuff and was like "wow if you can do that with stock sections imagine what we can do now". so thanks Anna! :D
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

I really don't like that last one. It's just a big block of section spam.
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

which one the Ethereal or the End of days?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

You didn't leave names for either, but I believe he means the last ship you posted a picture of in this thread. It's basically just a random pile of sections with little in the way or external or internal detail or shape.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Wakerz, three things:
1) to do something like this you need to rely heavily on shading to group sections into the 'parts' you talk about. I'm talking heavy shading, or perhaps coloring an 'engine' cluster separately from a 'reactor' cluster. Look at smaller ships, like Doogies most recent or something, that use really dark sections as internals with brighter sections over as the armor/outer hull. Do that on a larger scale and it will almost certainly look better.

2) to do that, I wouldn't suggest using shiny. It doesn't layer or group into larger 'parts' very easily because each piece has its own heavy shading. As awesome as they are, this is one of their weaknesses except maybe in the hands of the masters.

3) I know you built one section of the ship at a time but I would work on giving each a more unique shape. An 'engine' pod shouldn't necessarily blend in smoothly to the internals below or around it. Make each part stand out and have an obvious function. If you looked at Anna's older ships, you'll see what I mean even with just the stock sections. I would venture to say assemble them separately then just move them together and see what you get. But have a general shape in mind of course. Maybe even sketch out a shape and put it as the background so you keep relative scale.

Good luck!
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

BLAST! to the scrapyards with it then. any recomendations on which sprites to use then?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I pick out a few from most packs and almost all from others. Its really surprising which ones by different artists will fit together, but sometimes the sprites designed by one person won't work together. Just fool with stuff and see where it fits together...
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

hmmm, ill see what i can do, and i did notice that it was cluttered but me and my friends (who havent signed up yet but will do so eventually) are having a contest and this was going to be my entry so I figure ill finish it then store it away as an example of what not to do.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

I got shading right hurray! and I think this ship is one of my best yet. the Undertaker light patrol craft.
Attachments
BFscreen00.png
Machine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Machine »

Looks quite nice :wink:. Just two things, you might want to cover the core, and also try to crop your screenshots so they aren't composed of mostly blank space.