A Tournament for Rookies and Veterans alike.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

mato9020
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A Tournament for Rookies and Veterans alike.

Post by mato9020 »

lol take it easy on my ship ists new and not the best probly won't do good against the bettership builders:)
FULL SPEED AHEAD
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Kiltric wrote:Yes, you can use more than six if you really want to.

Practically speaking, it would be better to just use six and alter the damage and reload to affect the volume of fire, but I don't think there's any other reason to use more than six. I leave it up to you though.
Sure there is. Each gun lost is a loss of overall DPS. Spreading things over more guns total can mitigate your losses and keep you in the fight for longer. Plus you can set them up for better coverage without sacrificing too much power in a particular area.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

That said wouldn't it be smartest, for 1v1 fights at least, to use 1 blaster placed on or near the core? Since both ships have the same stats flanking is nigh impossible and having one blaster would mean fewer missed shots. With no railguns or anything with splash, there's no worry of the weapon being destroyed before the section it's on. Also, every two or three shots would kill a section, cutting through a ship more quickly rather than spreading the damage around and wearing it down slowly.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Normally I would agree but I believe the idea is that you can only double a weapon by sacrificing another, not combine all of them. There are certainly designs that would be optimal for 1 on 1 fights but what if thats not all we have to face?
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

ok not sure if this is considered necroing so im entirely prepared for rage posts then again theres no results, but if this isnt over id like to join, one more thing by basic blaster you mean the most standard gun right?

"hides behind a tree"
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
E-Swat
Ensign
Ensign

Post by E-Swat »

Ya that's what I was thinking Arcalane, that and I don't like having only a few guns on the ship since it makes it look blank.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Wakerz wrote:ok not sure if this is considered necroing so im entirely prepared for rage posts then again theres no results, but if this isnt over id like to join, one more thing by basic blaster you mean the most standard gun right
This isn't necroing. On these forums, the rule for necroing is posting in a thread that has been inactive for more than a month.

Also, yes, by basic blaster, I mean the most standard gun. In the shipmaker it is called a blaster.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Bad Boy wrote:That said wouldn't it be smartest, for 1v1 fights at least, to use 1 blaster placed on or near the core? Since both ships have the same stats flanking is nigh impossible and having one blaster would mean fewer missed shots. With no railguns or anything with splash, there's no worry of the weapon being destroyed before the section it's on. Also, every two or three shots would kill a section, cutting through a ship more quickly rather than spreading the damage around and wearing it down slowly.
Depends on build use. If you're not using a meta build, then more guns will work out better and flanking AI will be the order of the day. If you are, then one gun is perfectly viable because of target prediction/leading, and battles will be fairly even.

Even if being outflanked is impossible, if both ships are flanking they could spend the entire match going in circles around each other. Without leading, it's very possible that a lot of their shots will miss.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Arcalane wrote:
Bad Boy wrote:That said wouldn't it be smartest, for 1v1 fights at least, to use 1 blaster placed on or near the core? Since both ships have the same stats flanking is nigh impossible and having one blaster would mean fewer missed shots. With no railguns or anything with splash, there's no worry of the weapon being destroyed before the section it's on. Also, every two or three shots would kill a section, cutting through a ship more quickly rather than spreading the damage around and wearing it down slowly.
Depends on build use. If you're not using a meta build, then more guns will work out better and flanking AI will be the order of the day. If you are, then one gun is perfectly viable because of target prediction/leading, and battles will be fairly even.

Even if being outflanked is impossible, if both ships are flanking they could spend the entire match going in circles around each other. Without leading, it's very possible that a lot of their shots will miss.
That is true, I completely forgot about the infinite circle ai thing - it's been ages since I've actually done 1v1 ship battles (or any ship battles for that matter). A low ai range might stop that from happening, though I recall it doing little when I tried it, mainly because the ai could never seem to figure out how to move sideways And obey its ai range. Otherwise yeah, more guns are probably more useful since it'll allow you to actually shoot while infinite circling.

@jwa - Yeah, but if you sacrifice all of the other 5 guns you'd get just the 1 right?
This doesn't really matter though since arc gave a good reason for why this isn't definitively the best tactic (unless this is being fought in meta builds).
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

@badboy Good point...

I'm done with my ship such as it is; I'm just fooling with weapon and hp combos. Gotta leave for work though, but tomorrow I will pm it. Just to make sure, are drivers allowed so long as they are not able to fire?
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Do you mean for a turret or something? Sure. The more creative people get, the better this tournament will be, I think.

As long as it doesn't break the rule in half, I'm all for it.
Wakerz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Wakerz »

alright my ships done an here's a pic of it FTW! TO VICTORY...n' stuff
edit: fixed my ship so heres the Blockade V.3
Attachments
SMscreen013.png
SMscreen013.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 8356 times
Last edited by Wakerz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
being a true soldier isn't about bravery or courage, it's about being in mortal terror constantly but fighting on regardless for your country and cause. Only in death does duty end.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Kiltric wrote:Do you mean for a turret or something? Sure. The more creative people get, the better this tournament will be, I think.

As long as it doesn't break the rule in half, I'm all for it.
Too bad you mentioned that bit because otherwise I can think of what may be a pretty decent way to get a full 360 turret without editing arc range at all.
Edit: Tested my way, doesn't work perfectly because the enemy needs to be in the arc range of the first gun first. However, it works pretty decently after that and works flawlessly (though slowly) in DC mode.
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

Wakerz wrote:alright my ships done an here's a pic of it FTW! TO VICTORY...n' stuff
Don't forget, you can change the sprites of the guns if you so desire.
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I would like to know, which version of the game will you be using to simulate these battles?
naysayers will be shot