A Tournament for Rookies and Veterans alike.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kiltric
Captain
Captain

A Tournament for Rookies and Veterans alike.

Post by Kiltric »

The forums seem to be in a stage of rejuvenation, so against my better judgment, I am starting a tournament. The key flaws in past ones were the complexity of the rules and the faltering interest of those in charge. As such, I decided to make this one incredibly simple. There will be no judgment based on appearance, though some effort is appreciated. The rules are as follows.

Design: Be sensible about it. No floating sections, no massive walls of “dense” (high HP) sections, this is for fun, not for total annihilation of everyone else.

STATS: Ship must be between 100 and 120 size with the core centered. (Move the core until the size is the smallest it can be)
HP 300, Speed 2.25, Turning .75, Acceleration .05, AI Range whatever you like.
Total section HP, core included, cannot exceed 6000.
It can be any type you like, i.e. Normal, Flanking, or Broadside. (Or Kamikaze, but you’ll only be able to tie at best then. )

Modules: No shields or modules allowed. You can use thrusters if you like, but they won’t be required, nor can they be used to increase stats upon destruction. If you want to set them to reduce stats for realism, feel free.

Weapons: The ship can only be armed with 6 stock “Blasters”. These can be modified for arrangement or quantity, so long as DPS is effectively maintained, with fractions rounded against favor, that is, for lower DPS, where it applies. For instance, if, instead of placing 6 separate guns, you only want to use, 3, then you can halve the reload time, OR double the damage, OR, double the burst, etc. HP should also be adjusted to the relative number of weapons yours is representing.

If you are at all unclear on this, just use 6 stock “Blasters”. MORE BELOW

Sprites: Use any sprites as long as you include them in a download. Stock is fine too. Edit: It is greatly preferred that sprites are in their correct locations when used on ships. By greatly preferred, I mean required, either as they are located in the original download thread, or the repack which is stickied in the Custom Content section.

Triggers: Any triggers used for animations, transformations, etc. must be completely autonomous. I will not trigger them for you during fights. Generally speaking, simpler is better.

0 damage weapons may be used for triggers provided that they do not interfere with the operation of weapons according to the requirements. I.E., don't use a turret to get past the turn speed or arc range limitations.

Blurb: The idea here is to increase diversity in the basics of design. The ship’s actual architecture, the placement of weapons, etc. will be the determining factors. This keeps things simple, and means that someone with the basic download of the game and a limited understanding of the game can enter as well as the most experience shipbuilders.

Downloads should be pm’ed to me. Be sure to include the blueprint file, I should hope this is obvious. Pictures, comments, discussion, and questions should go in this thread. I will clarify any points that are unclear to anyone.

I will decide the format of the tournament based on the number of submissions, but will be some form of one on one, possibly followed by a teamed battle for fun.

Submissions will go for two or three weeks, and then I will record battles and post them to be watched. One submission per person.

EDIT REGARDING WEAPONS: I'm allowing weapons to be edited specifically because I didn't think some people would want to have six guns stuck on their ship making it look ugly. To that end, the only stats that should be modified to alter the number of actual guns should be HP, Damage, Reload, Or Burst.

For instance, on a ship using three guns instead of six, where each gun would then represent two, relatively speaking; You can (A) double the Burst and HP, (B) double the Damage and HP, or (C) halve the Reload and double the HP.

Once again, if you are unclear on this, be safe, and just use 6 "stock"/default/unedited Blasters.

Submissions:
Serithi - Dark Messiah - approved
Wakerz - Blockade - approved
jwa - Beigoma - approved
Doogie - Thunderous Applause 2 - approved
Starstruck - Fomalhaut - approved Image
Tetrarch - Transcendant - approved
Jafo - Squat - approved
LibertyGear - Dark Enforcer - approved
Machine - Exo-arthropoda Magnabracchium Carcinus - approved Image
kittenpillar - Thyroktan destroyer -approved
Lactose Tolerant - Segeis - approved
Bad Boy - Arafex - approved
The Blue Bomber - Impactor - approved
mato - NSF Showdog - pending
E-Swat - - unsubmitted
Last edited by Kiltric on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 30 times in total.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: A Tournament for Rookies and Veterans alike.

Post by jwa8402 »

Cheers! Nice to see something like this being done. On one hand its a shame to be reduced to this after all the complex planning and balancing that went into others, but I think this is what is needed right now. I'm in.
mato9020
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by mato9020 »

Awesome im a rookie and a vet! but how do you put a download link on here?
FULL SPEED AHEAD
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

You will need to upload it to a site like megaupload or mediafire, then pm me with the link.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Or you could just use the attachment feature. I'm fairly sure PMs support attachments. If not I can probably turn it on easily enough.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

They don't, but if you could turn that on, that would be great. You can also prove it works by submitting a ship :-P
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

They're on.

PS: Go fuck yourself~
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Thanks for turning them on. It was just a suggestion :-P
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

I'm just finishing up my ship, i'll PM you any minute now... Is it alright if the turrets have different arc ranges?
Last edited by Serithi on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
mato9020
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by mato9020 »

this is soo coool!!!
FULL SPEED AHEAD
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Serithi wrote:I'm just finishing up my ship, i'll PM you any minute now... Is it alright if the turrets have different arc ranges?
Depends on what you mean by different. When I said stock, I meant 45, as they are by default. You can point them any which way you like, but don't change the actual value.
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

As in, they all have a wider arc. I'll change them back, but in the meantime do they also have to have stock turning speeds?
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Read the fucking rules. When it says stock, it means stock.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Yes, all stats should be default. I'm allowing changes in the quantity of actual weapons, e.g. using three blasters with the same effective dps as six total.

"If you are at all unclear on this, just use 6 stock “Blasters”. "
mato9020
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by mato9020 »

i changed 2 of the plasters to 15 and then changed one other to 75 would that be ok cause i subtracted one and added it to the other
FULL SPEED AHEAD