Let's Play Devil Survivor! Update 1

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

STARSTRUCK

Let's Play Devil Survivor! Update 1

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Let's Play Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor!

There are two primary reasons for me choosing to do an LP of this game.
1. It has an interesting story that is interactive at many points.
2. It has an interesting art style that makes everybody look cross-eyed.

Released stateside in 2009, Devil Survivor is an SRPG where a bunch of cross-eyed kids attempt to survive when Tokyo is invaded by demons for reasons... that... I... really can't disclose without spoiling the game a little bit. The JSDF has quarantined everything inside the Yamanote Line in order to stem the spread of demons. This proves to be incredibly troublesome for the player, especially... since... aaaagh, let's play.

I am going to be using an emulator, because taking photos of my DS is likely to be suicidally time-wasting. There may be graphical bugs, and you shall hopefully not notice/care.

Anyway, upon starting up the game, we are presented with an opening movie set to a song that honestly makes my fucking ears bleed.

In case you couldn't tell already, the composer Shoji Meguro isn't on for this game (else we'd be treated to some truly soul-soothing heavy metal or j-pop or R&B or whatever he feels like doing). However, this being primarily a screenshot LP, it doesn't actually matter.

After surviving that, we reach our title screen. It shows off some of the awesome demons we are going to end up acquiring in order to further our goals. Obviously, I am going to select New Game.

We are presented with a more solemn opening screen. The view scrolls down a pair of weaving red tendrils whilst ominous musings appear on the screen.

TEXT: One born of human flesh...

TEXT: Man is now a race of some power.

TEXT: You, son of man,

TEXT: must face the power you hold.

TEXT: And you must face your destiny as well.

We see a girl receiving a call on her cell.

YUZU: Naoya? Isn't that "his" cousin? I should be free tomorrow...

TEXT: Though your days be peaceful, the fated time draws near.

TEXT: I am your judgment.

TEXT: I sundered the tongue of your fathers and shattered their arrogant power.

We see a rather scantily dressed lady standing in the streets.

And then this guy comforts her.

TEXT: So long as the Lord does not live in you, all living beings hold darkness in their hearts.

The cousin Naoya, talking with some girl in a weird-looking room.

TEXT: If you truly wish to be yourself, then rise and fight the darkness within... the demon inside.

TEXT: If you have the will to challenge your destiny of battle, son of man, state your name...

What the shit. So the red tendrils are a pair of headphone cords. Par for the course for SMT, but still.

Oh! Oh! It's time to state our name. Egads, I love name entry.

Go ahead and give our headphone-toting protagonist a nice Japanese name, preferably in a Given/Family format instead of Family/Given or I might get confused.

If you'd like, you can also give him a nickname, which is what the game's interface and most of the characters will call us. In such a case, only people who are being GIANT OSTENTATIOUS PRICKS will refer to us by our real name.

Also, tell me if you want me to act like an asshole or like a do-gooder in the dialogue choices. Nothing that actually matters will result yet. When there's a hard choice to make, I'll tell you.

I await your answer, BSF.
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Let's Play Devil Survivor! Update 1

Post by Orelius »

Be an asshole! It'll be funnier to watch.
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Don Gentele

Nickname? Dongs.

EDIT: Oh, and act like an asshole. Of course.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Urist McAwesome
Urist

and act like an asshole.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!