Pyro's Ships

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Pyrophage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pyro's Ships

Post by Pyrophage »

New work is added as I go, eventually, I'll consolidate my favorites into this post. In the meantime, I'd really appreciate advice.

---------------
Well, here's my second attempt at a ship, hopefully this will be received much better. The Seraphim class assault cruiser.
I haven't changed the color scheme or shaded yet, but I'll get to that later.

So, besides coloring, any criticism, comments?
Attachments
Seraphim.shp
The ship file. Take a look, see what I'm doing wrong... Or, just test drive it. ;)
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by Pyrophage on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: New Member, Newships V2

Post by Orelius »

The main problem here is resizing. Normally, you'd want to avoid resizing anything ever in BSF. Resizing those sections makes them blurry, and crammed. They look ugly. Rotating sections also blurs the sections. You'll want to avoid doing that too.
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Pyrophage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyrophage »

Thanks, also, does anyone know a quick way to import all the sprites at one and keep them.

Every time I close the editor, I lose all my custom spites and have to re-import them one-by-one.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The ship is interesting. I think it would benefit from more attention to the colors/shading. Also, the backmost "wings" look a little funny, perhaps just too spindly.

There is an option to save the .ini file in the editor, do that, and then load it every time you open the editor again.

Also, it is frowned upon to create a new thread for each ship, just a heads up before a wrathy mod tells you off.
Pyrophage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyrophage »

Newer stuff!

Sorry about the x2 post, I originally posted in the wrong section, hence "V2", and then a mod moved my earlier thread.

Anyway, two simple fighter/gunboats. I still haven't gotten around to changing the backdrop, but I figured out the sprites.

Comments, criticism, exterminatus?
Snopel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Snopel »

I like your style and also your wings look great!
A few other members always give more bad then good advice so you need to know which ones to trust.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

The original ship I wasn't very impressed by/didn't really like at all. These two new ones are pretty slick and stylish, though, particularly the blue one. They're rather elegant in their simplicity.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Actually, Snopel, most of us have been around a bit longer than you. We know what we are talking about (most of the time :P). If someone like Anna or Arcalane or any other long-standing members comment on your ships, then by god listen to them.

Now, as not to derail this thread:
Pyrophage, your first ship isnt actually too bad, and the color is actually somewhat nice, but it is severely lacking in depthing. try to work on that. Also, resizing weapons is a NO-NO. OTT, it looks pretty cool.
Your second ships are alright. First is a bit blocky, but it's not bad. The second one is fairly nice. I have no complaints about it.

Another thing, try and take your SM screenies in Preview mode. Just press F11.

Ed: Ninja'd by Anna xD
Ed2: Just realized the irony in that xD
Last edited by Da_Dooley on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Orelius »

You're getting better!
The smaller ships are especially good. You're progressing quickly.
The first small ship is my favorite as of now. It feels elegant, smooth, well rounded.

You should consider adding engines to your ships. I personally suggest the thrusters in Horsemonster's realistic sprite pack.

Snopel wrote:I like your style and also your wings look great!
A few other members always give more bad then good advice so you need to know which ones to trust.
By "bad advice" do you mean constructive criticism? That's not "bad advice" at all. May you please elaborate?
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Snopel is an idiot. Just ignore him.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Snopel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Snopel »

Yes thank you Anna :)

I also guess that I shouldn't say anything else in this topic,unless i want to get attacked. :cry:
Last edited by Snopel on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Nah, don't clam up completely. Just say something if it is constructive. If not, keep it to yourself.
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Pyrophage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyrophage »

Thanks. I'll try to get out some more tomorrow, but I'll likely be busy.

Also, where can I find the realist sprite pack with the weapons? And does outfitting two different ships w/ the same weapon (for arguments sake, a beamer) and modifying both weapons so they differ from the stock weapon and each other create errors when you run the game? I've been getting some non-fatal errors relating to weapons when I've used ships with modified weapons together in the sandbox. Is that what's happening?
Pyrophage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyrophage »

Shameless double post.
Two new ships! And battle pics of both!

So I spawned a cluster of seriphim, right. And they're murdering the stock ships (I made a repeating railgun that seems quite broken at the moment.) So I spawn some of my newest ship... a carrier with no name as of yet (beacause it's not near finished.)

Didn't go too well for the hiveships... about 30 seconds later, the last one bit the dust.

My theory, bad AI, charging into battle and a lack of significant offensive weapons on the part of the hiveships and too great a range on the drone ships it deployed. Shipyard pics of both tommorow.

Ediit- If you can't aready tell, right now the hiveship is simply repurposed sections of the seraphim. I will have an actual new ship up soon!

Edit v2-

Some corvette/ destroyer

The chiron drone that the aforementioned hive ships deployed
Pyrophage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyrophage »

*bump*
Loki broadside dreadnaught

Asp missile boat

Seriously, I need feed-back. Please help me improve.