Apals royal fleet

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Apals royal fleet

Post by apals »

I have downloaded the latest version of BF and found new design elements. which i must appreciate as by far the best updates.

i have made a whole new fleet based on the new design principles and decided to upload the original and the shp files. feel free to change or improvise or use in combat. Suggestions are welcome.
Critics are welcome (but PS , it took me more than a week to design this fleet, and it takes only seconds to point a finger)

My fleet includes the following ships
a) Interceptor - The first line of defense or reconnaissance
interceptor.jpg
b) fighter - A advanced fighter , though not effective in small numbers
c) guard - I conceived it to be a sort of Caption of a group of fighters or squadron leader
d) defender - A very good support ship loaded with defensive structures like flak guns. good when used in behind and between squadrons
defender.jpg
e) repair center - A slow ship repairing portable hub for deployment on battle periphery. The damaged ships visit it for repairs.
repair_ship.jpg
f) drone master - Another good support ship with drone launching capabilities.
dronemaster.jpg
g) Main battleship - The last line of defense.
battleship.jpg
Sadly, m old sb3 files are not editable, therefore i saved my old ship-maker executable by renaming it. so all in all it has been very entertaining.

here is a snapshot of the repair ship. which i am particularly proud of.
repair_ship.jpg
[*]one point i would like to suggest is the absence of a arc shaped section for a future update.
Attachments
apals_royal_fleet.zip
(28.6 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
STARSTRUCK

Re: Apals royal fleet

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Tell you what. I'm going to leave the brunt of the raging C&C to the angry piece of trollbait who posts after me.

I'll just ask you this:

Did you know that you can mirror ships by pressing the M key?

It's an incredible new feature we introduced in the latest version of BSF. Guaranteed to shave 50% off construction times for symmetrical ships every time, all the time. Try it out today!
apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by apals »

Mirror ship ?

is it like copy+paste

I press M, to copy and then ? to paste

?
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

...If you didn't understand what the people before me have said, I'll dumb it down for you...

What you have shown us is NOT acceptable by our current standards. Maybe they were when the first versions of BSF came out, but not anymore. If, and this is what you should have done in the first place, you look around at other people's threads and see what they build, you'll realize that we've moved on from posting random piles of sections, shading them with random colours, and giving them random turrets, and way too many of them for that matter.

Dump the ships you currently have, get some new sprites here, actually think about what you're going to make, and start again.
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by apals »

Ok, although the design elements may look bit outdated, still the facts and figures are in place. I have tried to make it look like a medival chinese rocket and may hv been successfull.

I think it the drone master looks pretty perfect among other designs.

Lacks a bit of paint job though. I would appreciate my critics, if they would post their own designs with their replies.

I am fairly optimistic, and so are my ships , and rest assured can surely give a punch in combat ;-)

Thanx for your seemingly unbiased responses.

~~
Imaillusion wrote:...If you didn't understand what the people before me have said, I'll dumb it down for you...

What you have shown us is NOT acceptable by our current standards. Maybe they were when the first versions of BSF came out, but not anymore. If, and this is what you should have done in the first place, you look around at other people's threads and see what they build, you'll realize that we've moved on from posting random piles of sections, shading them with random colours, and giving them random turrets, and way too many of them for that matter.

Dump the ships you currently have, get some new sprites here, actually think about what you're going to make, and start again.
I am having a look at new designs, but with my work schedule, and all that, it will take time to learn again.

~~
TheBuilder wrote:Dude, I'm not gonna touch any of this with a 50 foot pole, all I'm doing is giving you a heads up.

RUN
and don't stop running till you know that you'll never see another compter ever again, EVER. Or you may just see the most debilitating post you could ever see, (it would mess you up yo).

Now that me being curteous to a new guy is over, I'm getting the heck out of here. <_< laterz >_>
I know you are the stars of this galaxy, who would not look upon , a humble asteroid such as me , as a helpful company
Last edited by Arcalane on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use the edit button in future
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

You can put multiple quotes in a single post, btw.

As for ships other people have made, let's see...

Here's two of STARSTRUCK's;

BP Entry #1
BP Entry #2
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by apals »

Arcalane wrote:You can put multiple quotes in a single post, btw.

As for ships other people have made, let's see...

Here's two of STARSTRUCK's;

BP Entry #1
BP Entry #2
To reply, i pressed on quote below comments. is that ok?

yes, i have downloaded both ships, though i like the image of the second ship. It looks more metallic.
but i previously referred to the ship-gallery for a basic idea of shipping.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I think its kinda funny when people rage about ships like this. Once upon a time they were the norm, but people think if you download the new sprites everything will be better. I personally think its a lot easier to learn and a lot harder to screw up using stock sprites. Not to mention jumping to trying to replicate a Holy Ship won't teach you anything about what you should do, just alot about what you can't do without quite a bit of practice. These ships could be corrected with maybe three main design rules, whereas newer ships are much more complicated to correct if the player is new.

Apal: Do me a favor and try this. Using the stock sections, try building the ships from in game, like the hestia. Arm them the same way, ie not covered with guns. For now leave them un-colored. Then looking at those designs, try expanding the fleet using similar design elements. Once you can do that, start using the newer sprites to do the same thing, but don't use more than one or two colors, and try to keep the number of weapons proportional to the size of the ship. This is not a balancing thing so much as a ship looks like crap when its covered in weapons and five different colors. Aegis is useful but use it sparingly because it looks pretty ugly and being invincible doesn't make for a very fun game. Try to avoid boxy shapes, and start looking towards functional aspects such as where are the engines. All this is just a suggestion so don't feel forced, but I personally found jumping to the wide range of new sprites caused more problems such as combining incompatible styles and cluttered designs. Good luck! /end text wall
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

apals wrote:Mirror ship ?

is it like copy+paste

?
Apalls, my friend.

Even if you have no idea what those other guys are on about with their FLOW and their RHYTHM and their other big long funny English words, I hope that you can at least follow this tidbit of mine advice. Cause I actually spared you a bigass PNG instead of a JPEG in a stroke of generosity that I can't very much comprehend myself.

Hope it helps.
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Attempt at some honest to goodness critique:

Let's see, where to begin... Brush up on your English skills, for one. I'm not a native speaker either, but with some effort, it's not that hard a language to grasp, y'see?
Also, don't try to sound like you are doing revolutionary stuff when your ships are in no way competent even by 2008 standards. That way, people make mistakes like me, thinking you're a sort of Troll here.

As for the ships themselves... Turn of the glow for starters... Glow rarely looks good, and this is no exception to that rule. Second, select a colour scheme that doesn't resemble a crayola box strawn over your ship. I do suggest the following site: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Now that your colours are good (I hope), remove over half of those weapons. Weapon spam/module spam never looked good. Instead, edit the weapons. Try to edit for effect, not for 'lucky 9' weapons.

Finally, practise with building an interesting shape for your ship. Don't spam sections, try to fit 'em together like legoes or whatnot, and go for a clear shape, one that is ship-like in looks, yet not bland. For this latter part, only practise will help. We can give guidelines, but eventually, only with practise you can grasp what works and what won't.
Last edited by Kanosint on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salute otsam ee nashem dedum -
Zahvietum eekh fsigdah vierney.
Tepierre nichtoh, nee astanoivit,
Pabiedney shark, radnoy straney.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

This is actually pretty run of the mill stuff. For a newbie. Apals is not a newbie, seeing he's been here since 2008. He's not a troll. He's just got bad english. Possibly not a native english speaker. And probably just a kid who doesn't care. Posting that sort of shit in this thread is silly, Kanosint.

Posting in this thread at all is a waste of time unless you have something helpful to say to apals. Genuine critiques or suggestions to help him improve. If you're just going to troll him pointlessly, I'll say this now: Do not post in this thread. Or I will give you a warning and remove your post to the Mod Archive.

I myself have no interest in critiquing his ships right now, so I'll once again return to lurking.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by apals »

Star struck ships are marvellous. I would say, comes from a chap who has indeed put his heart to bring out the best.
Last edited by apals on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
apals
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by apals »

apals wrote:
STARSTRUCK wrote:
apals wrote:Mirror ship ?

is it like copy+paste

?
Apalls, my friend.

Even if you have no idea what those other guys are on about with their FLOW and their RHYTHM and their other big long funny English words, I hope that you can at least follow this tidbit of mine advice. Cause I actually spared you a bigass PNG instead of a JPEG in a stroke of generosity that I can't very much comprehend myself.

Hope it helps.
very helpfull, i think i have really learnt how to save time. Plus i have downloaded THE GIMP to design new sections. hopefully my sarcastic friends will look forward to my new inventions with the same enthusiasm.

PS : although i hv logged into ship-building since 2008, i hv had no time to practice at all. plus i am one of those slow personalities, who keep developing their hobbies for years in fullness of time. I still use my first electronic gadget a Casio digital diary bought in 90s, which actually helped me hook up-to the world of circuit based devices.

jwa8402 tips are also useful , but most newbie's will agree that Shooting and speed are the initial attraction to the game. thanks, i am beginning to see that a balance is required between design, armor and weapons to create fun.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

You don't really need to make new sections. There's a couple hundred assorted sections that come with the game. Just press `.
And there are lots more in Custom Content.
PS most to the time ships posted here are made to look pretty.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

calvin1211 wrote:You don't really need to make new sections. There's a couple hundred assorted sections that come with the game. Just press `.
Plus, there are a crapload more if you go directly into the Custom sprites folder.
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.