AAE Navy

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Atomic Avocado
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

AAE Navy

Post by Atomic Avocado »

Welcome to your friendly neighboorhood empire!
We, the people of the Atomic Avocado Empire, who worship our gloriusly explosive and quacamoleified leader, Atomic Avocado, have come to crush your tiny little empires (or join us Avocadoites. Whichever comes first.) Good luck defending yourself and have a great day!

Ok now im done with my fun. I havnt played with shipbuilder in a long time and decided to try again.
Ed. Current discussion on
Last edited by Atomic Avocado on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: AAE Navy

Post by Anna »

Important tip: Using lots of flat sections with low amounts of detail, especially if that's the only type of section you use, can make a ship look really bland and boring. It's nice to have some more detailed, greebly bits. DST-swnc sprites work well for them. That said, there's not much else I can say or judge about this ship until it's been coloured and shaded.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

The overall design and section choice is extremely bland. It's a flat brick, even if you do color it.
Atomic Avocado
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atomic Avocado »

So I took yalls advice and decided to try something else.
Hows this?
Orelius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Orelius »

It's lacking in the rear. Right now it looks like a potato turned sideways.
Spoiler!
Atomic Avocado wrote:Think about section spam like this.
Congrats! Youve been promoted to head designer for a car company! Now for your first design are you going to cover the car in tires? In axles? In bumpers? NO! Your going design something that uses the right parts for the right places.
Orelius's Hopefully Decent Ships!
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

I dunno, I kind of like it. You just need to give it some engines and get rid if the flat line across the back of the ship

Then experiment with doodads and glows.
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The area in that last full grid square...the rear third of the ship; needs some sort of extension to either side. That and engines would add alot to it. Also some sort of shading to eliminate the flat feeling, though that gold color is hard to use for showing depth. It would be better as a highlight color, along with the orange. So a plainer color for the majority of the ship but patterns/emblems of some sort perhaps?
Anna

Post by Anna »

I think the whole thing looks like a poop coloured blob, to be completely, bluntly honest. Some of the section choices (Dare I say most?) are really glaringly out of place, with parts with different sorts of shading mixed together, parts with hard solid lines and sharp corners and flat surfaces right next to parts with curves and equally flat surfaces, and then a ring of dark greebly bits around them.

Which is not what I meant at all. The greebly bits should be in amongst the flat surfaces, adding texture and flavour and separating them from each other so it doesn't all look like a smoothed over lump.

The over-all outer shape of the ship itself is fine. Boring and generic, but that's 100% fine. If it's done well, it can even look good. This? Not good.

I really hate the colours, too. A faded green-gold, and a faded green-brown, and then bits of comparatively highly saturated orange? Really? Ew.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Atomic Avocado
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atomic Avocado »

Oi ok ship nazi.
Hail Anna :D
Any new suggestions?
Such as how to not make it a poop coloured blob?
I can't use my own advice.
Atomic Avocado
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atomic Avocado »

Wait I got ninja'd.
Yes, yes the colors suck. Any suggestions?
Anna

Post by Anna »

I gave plenty of advice and useful critiquing in my post, I think. If you're going to use lots of sections with smooth surfaces, don't have ALL OF THEM clustered together. Some is fine. Clusters of smooth sections and areas are fine, especially if you're using sections that actually blend together well. But if the sections DON'T fit together well, like CRAZY ROUNDED TRIANGLES AND SOLID SQUARES, then seperate them by having a layer of greebled or detailed bits in a different colour (usually a significantly darker shade) between them. That's one example of how you can do it.

As to how to make it not a poop-coloured blob: Don't make it a blob, don't colour it like poop. Pro advice, right here.
Quality Control Enforcer
Atomic Avocado
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atomic Avocado »

Oooooo now I see.
I really appreciate it.
Thanks.
ED. What do you mean by "greebled"? Like DST sections or what?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Yes. Like DST sections. Greebly bits.

For clarification, here's the start of the Wikipedia page on Greeble (Is there anything it doesn't know?)
A greeble or nurnie is a small piece of detailing added to break up the surface of an object to add visual interest to a surface or object, particularly in movie special effects. They serve no real purpose other than to add complexity to the object, and cause the flow of the eye over the surface of the object to be interrupted, usually giving the impression of increased size. It is essentially the small detailed technical part of a larger object. The detail can be made from geometric primitives, including cylinders, cubes, and rectangles, combined to create intricate, but meaningless, surface detail. Greebles are commonly found on models or drawings of fictional spacecraft in science fiction.
Quality Control Enforcer
Atomic Avocado
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atomic Avocado »

Something like this?
Anna

Post by Anna »

That is a lot more interesting, both in section usage and shape. The only real major change I'd suggest would be reducing the saturation on the colour, make the red a dark grey-red and make the orange bits more of a bright gold, perhaps?
Quality Control Enforcer