Fifth BSF Beauty Pageant - RESULTS POSTED

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kataklistika
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Fifth Official BSF Beauty Pageant - STARTS NOW

Post by Kataklistika »

Well I saw the email and thought, "What the hell, why not?" So here's what I came up with for the Freeform Category.

This is the Knightblade Missile Cruiser. Every section is custom designed straight down to the weapons. The only thing I didn't make myself were the PDGuns. Here's a bunch of info about the ship.

Ship Background
Spoiler!
The Demiturion Empire was caught in a war that never seemed like it was going to end. Through the years they wracked up some amazing victories, and yet they suffered just as many humiliating defeats. The frustration of the Empire's Warlords started to become so overbearing that they eventually snapped. The Warlords had the Empire's best scientists, strategists, and engineers arrested in order to force them to work on a new ship design that could obliterate their enemy, the Astarite Collective.

After months of miserable toil, the enslaved citizens finally came up with a working design for a support cruiser that would quickly end the war with a Demiturion victory. The design was finished and the plans were sent to the Empire's Cruiser Factory Cluster. Afterwards, the Warlords had the imprisoned civilians executed to prevent any leaks.

However, people of such intelligence are not without their wits. They knew the Empire wouldn't let them go so easily. So they devised a plan to exact revenge upon their Empire that would soon betray them. A copy of the blueprint was smuggled out of the lab by an engineer who once served as a spy for the Empire. Although the ex-spy was executed with the rest of the civilians, the plans were already being sent to an informant of the Astarite Collective. As soon as the Collective had the blueprint in their hands they set a plan into action that would ensure their own victory in the war.

The Generals of the Collective quickly pooled their resources and intelligence in a desperate attempt to strike the Empire first. They were forced to leave much of their realm open to attack as they used their forces to strike at the supply lines leading to the Demiturion's Cruiser Factory Cluster. The Collective stole many goods, wares, and equipment but ultimately at a high price -- pieces of their own realm. Although civilian casualties were kept low, the Astarite Collective lost many planets due to the Empire's Planet-Razing Battlecruisers. However, the Collective was able to use the freshly stolen goods to put their enemy's stolen blueprints into production.

A small Collective navy was created to go on a suicide mission against the Empire. At the backbone of this mission was their new ship -- The Knightblade Missile Cruiser. With the new ships they were able to sneak past the Empire's front-line defenses and launch an assault against the Cruiser Factory Cluster itself. The battle was short-lived but intense. The Knightblade tore through the Empire's defensive fleet and blew the Factory Cluster apart. This granted an ensured victory for the Collective because the Empire's only set of blueprints for their version of the Knightblade were kept in the Factory Cluster. And since the Empire killed the very civilians who had originally designed the ship, it was only a matter of time before the Collective would finally end the war and crush the Empire. Thus, the Warlords of the Demiturion Empire brought about their own ruin.
Military Role
Stealth Bombardment

The Knightblade Missile Cruiser specializes in the bombardment of larger enemy vessels and structures. The vessel is designed to be carried within the hulls of carriers and therefore has a limited stock of ammunition and a limited operating range. While in theory the Knightblade is capable of regenerating its own fuel supply, it does so at such a low rate that long-range travel isn't really feasible. It was designed to be deployed for stealthy hit and run tactics.

Armament
  • 5 Starboard Bladepoint Missile PODS, sequentially fired
  • 5 Port Bladepoint Missile PODS, sequentially fired
  • 360 degree turret with dual Bladepoint Missile PODS, simultaniously fired
  • 22 hidden Bladestorm mini-missile PODS, sequentially fired
  • 3 Point Defense Guns
All weapons are complete with auto-loading systems, most of which can be seen when looked at carefully in-game.

Power Source
  • Micro Anti-Matter/Matter Collider. This is the main power source of the ship. It collides matter and anti-matter together in a specialized chamber and captures the energy released. Most of the energy is used for the propulsion systems as well as the displacement field generators. This power generator is housed in the "pommel" of the ship.
  • 2 Energy Osmotive Plates. Located on the front of the vessel's "outter blades," this is the secondary power source of the ship. It actually serves three functions. The first is to power the ship's weapon systems and other arrays by absorbing photons from cosmic winds and turning them into electricity. The second function is to absorb small particulates of matter to use in the Anti-Matter/Matter Collider. The final function is actually a side-effect of the first and second functions: by absorbing energy and matter, the plates help mask the ship from enemy radar signals as it prevents signals from bouncing off the hull of the ship, thus giving it better stealth capabilities.
Engine and Propulsion
  • 5 Micro-Fusion, Red Dwarf Propulsion Thrusters. These are the ship's main thrusters. They are only capable of propelling the ship forward. They emit low levels of heat and leave only feint energy signatures, which makes them perfect for stealth operations but makes the ship rather slow to accelerate. The three main thrusters are located on the aft of the ship while two more provide extra stability from the sides.
  • Miniature Displacement Field Generators. For turning and lateral movement the ship uses these generators to create displacement fields on either side of the ship. These fields force matter away when created and expanded. By using hundreds of miniature displacement fields the ship can turn without the use of thrust. Displacement fields also leave very small traces of energy behind which makes them great for stealth operations. Unfortunately it means the ship turns slowly.
  • Engine cooling systems are housed in the "handle" part of the ship beneath the mini-missile PODS. The systems are rather tiny, and instead of actually cooling the ship they gather up all generated heat and store it in special heat-bearing chambers. These chambers can withstand massive amounts of heat and pressure without giving off a signature when properly shielded within the ship itself. When not actively stealthed, the ship will use the gathered heat for propulsion energy or it will simply vent it slowly into space. While this is great for stealth functions, it is another factor that limits the ship's operating range. If the chambers over-heat they'll require emergency energy release which will give the ship's position away.
Other Components
  • The small bridge is located just under the turret.
  • The center blade with the runes plays a major part in scrambling enemy radar signals.
  • The ship was not designed for long mission runs so therefore there is no galley or any other "luxury" components. There is a very small sleeping quarters for the crew if needed.
  • The ship only requires an eight man crew.
Knightblade Missile Cruiser Image
Knightblade Missile Cruiser Image
TheKnightblade.zip
Knightblade Missile Cruiser Files
(37.53 KiB) Downloaded 1936 times
These are my ashes; Don't let them fall; Spread me carefully away; Along the mires of the absent; And the graveyards of flowers.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Your submission has been rejected.

If you'd read the rules, you would know why.
Custom Section Allowance: Pretty much anything, though if you take a picture (whether a pre-existing one or one you drew yourself) and chop it up into sprites and build a ship entirely out of that, not only will you be banned from this competition, you will be banned from my life.
Making a ship entirely out of sprites designed expressly for the ship yourself is basically the exact same thing, you know. This is a shipbuilding competition, not a pixel-art competition.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Kataklistika
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kataklistika »

I understand what you mean. No original artwork allowed. Gotcha.

I'll be banned from your life now. :D
These are my ashes; Don't let them fall; Spread me carefully away; Along the mires of the absent; And the graveyards of flowers.
Ryen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ryen »

Limited Realism

Name: Cumulonimbus
Class: Heavy Missile Cruiser
Role: Long range fire support/suppression

*MIRV Version Required
Dreamed about a 3D nuclear-powered submarine's design with lots of "Vertical Missile Launcher" 2 days ago.
This ship was base on that weapon system.
The dream also included the background story but I can't remember that, and I don't good at writing so...

Used:
HorseMonster_DetailedWeapons
HorseMonster_Realistic
Dst-swnc
Doodads(Original)
BSF_BP Cumulonimbus.zip
(8.54 KiB) Downloaded 3328 times
kelvin_creps
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kelvin_creps »

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by kelvin_creps on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Am I the only one that thinks Meatwad is a horrific ripoff of Krang?
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

@ kelvin_creps, I'd just like to clarify; Are you submitting this as a fan ship? Your large red text was illiterate and unclear. It would be best if you specify which category you are submitting this under in large, bold, or otherwise obvious text at the start of your post. If you look, you will see that most other entrants did so.

@ jwa, No, you're not the only one :)
kelvin_creps
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kelvin_creps »

translators are bad!!!
I am a Brazilian :P
sorry Anna '-'
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

We interrupt your program to bring you an important service message.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT IN LIMITED STOCK CATEGORY?!

YOU. YES, YOU. TINY BABY MAN. TREMBLE BEFORE WRATH OF DELTA EXECUTOR. IS GRANDCHILD OF FIRST OF BIG SPACESHIPS WHO WRESTLED GIGANTIC MAN-EATING WHALES TO DEATH WITH BARE HANDS! IN FREEZING ARCTIC WATERS! HAS BEEN FIGHTING SPACESHIPS SINCE MANY MANY LONG TIME BEFORE YOU BORN!

WHO IS MAN ENOUGH TO STAND WITH ME?

And now back to your regular programming.
DeltaExecutor.zip
(10.02 KiB) Downloaded 3424 times
This is the ship it's based off of. Which was posted three days before Anna joined the forums, back in 2007. Don't believe me? Here's a link to the post in question.

So there you go. History lesson!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
guilee186
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by guilee186 »

Arc, that level of pure awesome from the post is stunning. I like your lead in :) TF2 style.
Congratulations. You're a textbook definition of a troll. -Danny
~Armored Core is to Cosmicbreak like Starcraft II is to World of Warcraft.~
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

I looked at that picture and I went "Hmm, that looks awfully like something from years ago." Fun times with stock sections those days.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Limited Realism Category:

The Combat Intelligence and Counter Cyberwarfare Detachment of the ATC.

Ships designed specifically to provide comprehensive round-the-clock coverage of all battlefield enemies, hazards and developments.

'Cloaked Veil'-Class.

This class is designed for deployment near the frontline of major combat forces, providing not only powerful Cyberwarfare suites but also a Chaff Dispenser to distract enemy point Defense.

'Collarbug'-Class

This ship is designed with no offensive systems. It is instead designed to produce ECM, and to passively monitor a system undetected. Usually used on Stealth Recon missions as opposed to frontline engagements.

'Night Watchman'-Class

Designed to provide detailed Intelligence, Counter-Intelligence and Offensive Cyberwarfare capabilities to the frontline, the Night Watchman is the first stand-alone Intelligence Craft, capable of holding off minor attacks with it's powerful armor and 3 Pulse Cannons.

'Gatekeeper'-Class

A fast vessel simply designed to draw enemies out of formation, or to quickly react to situations, this ship can arrive hours before a battlefleet, obtain information about fleet composition and capabilities and can really hurt large enemy vessels with it's combination of high speed and a powerful rear-facing Rail Cannon.

Uses:

Kae_shn
SS_prosectionax
Dst_sec
Horsemonster_Realistic
Horsemonster_Rocketbits
Horsemonster_Detailedweapons

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Beauty_Pagent_E ... prites.zip
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Uh Anna, I think you should update the second post index thing.
...anyways...
I CANNOT WAIT FOR JUDGING TO START!!!!!
kthxbai
naysayers will be shot
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Doogie12 wrote:Uh Anna, I think you should update the second post index thing.
...anyways...
Shut up, Doogie, I update the ship roster on my own time, not when people tell me to. Next person to try and tell me how to run things gets disqualified. :|

As it stands, submissions should be closing today, but I haven't got nearly enough entries to satisfy me, so I'm extending the submission period by another month. If any of the judges won't be able to do their judging in November, they should let me know now.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ug, seriously unhappy with these but here goes nothing. If the deadline is really extended I'll probably fix a few things, and maybe even submit the stock ship I made, but I'm really unhappy with it.
Attachments
Freeform submission: Qohelet
Freeform submission: Qohelet
Qohelet sprites.zip
Qohelet sprites
(112.25 KiB) Downloaded 3124 times
Qohelet ship.zip
Qohelet ship:
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 3000 times
Limited realism submission: Gaia
Limited realism submission: Gaia
Gaia sprites.zip