Son Tzus' Random Buckets

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Son Tzus' Random Buckets

Post by Son Tzu »

Hmmph, s'pose it's about time I started a thread for my own creations instead of just elbowing into other peoples threads. Feel free to say what you like (subject to forum rules), and modify my stuff for your own ends. Also I do Klingon-English/English-Klingon translations. There is no letter K in the Klingon alphabet. Ironic or what?

First up, my attempt at a shadow vessel (B5)
Stretch Marks.zip
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
SMscreen04.png
As you can see, stretching to excess just doesn't work. Ever. It doesn't show up in SM mode, but when you load the ship in the game, the colour washes right out of the arms. Oh well, back to the drawing board...
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Son Tzus' Random Buckets

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm not bad as far as overall effect. I think it could benifit from texturing cuz then you wouldn't have to color it as dark. Also I'm sure theres a variety of ship designs, haven't seen that one, but try using something like this to work off of: http://rpggamer.org/uploaded_images/cru ... lecrab.jpg
You can probably even rip the texture off there if you wanted to. As for stretching, ya you should try to avoid it but for some of these ships the overall effect is more important than the section work, and again texturing it will partially negate the effects of stretching. Helps to pick the right sprites though and I've got some that might help so I'll find those and shoot them to you.

*edit* Make that truck you posted in custom ships transform into optimus prime and you will be my hero!
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

Thanks for the link dude! Whoa, those things still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Probably the scariest looking ships ever made IMO, especially the way they just shimmer in, blow the crap out of everything, and shimmer back out, all without shouting threats over the com or even stopping for some good old fashioned looting and pillaging. Wasn't OP just a tractor unit? (the front part of an artic.) I won't rule out giving it a go, but it may take a while, since I've got another idea I want to have a go at first.

I've been thinking for some time that it might be nice to have some fanships based on books, ie. there's no pics to work from, just whatever kind of description the author gives (usually pretty general/vague if any), and your own imagination. For my first I'm gonna have a go at Trumpet (Needle Class Gap Scout, Stephen Donaldsons Gap series). If anyone else wants to post this type of ship on this thread, please do. Please include relevant information ie. author/book/series. If you want to post other fanships or custom ships, go ahead, just remember there are already other threads for this which will probably get more views. Happy building!
Trumpet.zip
(7.27 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
SMscreen05.png
And here it is, after a certain amount of rebuilding due to filepath issues...
For some reason the colours towards the back of the ship wash out a little when it renders in sandbox. If anyone knows why, let me know, otherwise I guess I'll just have to over colour it a bit in SM.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

Okay, here's a prototype Optimus Prime. I'll need a fair bit of feedback on this as I have no real idea of what it looks like except in the most general terms. Not even sure about the colour...
In any case this is more just a proof of concept, so I could work out how all the parts need to move. Haven't even finalised the weapons yet, though I think I'll keep the backpack missile launcher :)
Truck Mode
Truck Mode
SMscreen06.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
Bot Mode
Bot Mode
SMscreen07.png (22.83 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
Get that Pirate...
Get that Pirate...
Primus.gif
Gaaah, triggers, drivers, it's driving me craaaazy.
SMscreen011.png
It's almost done... those Dst sprites are guntastic
Last edited by Son Tzu on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Aurafire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aurafire »

Optimus Prime

The truck looks good, and the backpack missile launcher is a nice touch. It looks pretty legit in shipmaker. The legs look a little skinny though.
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

Note to self: Optimus Prime has thunder thighs... Red and blue colour scheme...
Thanks Aurafire, when I release the final version I'll tweak the proportions a bit, and sort the colours too.
In the meantime...some background noise whilst using SM caused me to make this:
SMscreen03.png
SMscreen03.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
Nothing is known about this species except that they always have very clean underwear. Aww, their mothers would be so proud
Cleaning Nagayas' clock
Cleaning Nagayas' clock
Here's my first experiment with shields
SMscreen08.png
Savra.zip
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
The name of the ship is Savra. It's a light missile gunboat, with an experimental beam weapon mounted on the bow.
Attachments
Hotpint.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

New evidence: rocks are dangerous
SMscreen010.png
SMscreen010.png (6.5 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Trebuchet.zip
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
You will find the necessary extra sprites in custom content

Mmm, radomes
Cobra.gif
Cobra.gif (158.77 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
This is the Cobra Mk 10, an armed merchantman. Popular with lone traders because it can be run by one person (having a co-pilot helps a lot however), it's reputation as the fastest, toughest ship in its class is well earned. Mounting twin high accuracy pulse lasers forward, and a single forced overcharge unit aft, plus optional twin ultra long range homing missiles mounted on the cargo struts, any Thargoid stupid enough to attack this vessel will be going home, and every other direction, at the speed of light in the form of highly radioactive charged particles. For your convenience and protection it is also equipped with dual heterocyclic regenerative shields, and an ECM system to deal with those pesky incoming missile warnings. Its cargo carrying capacity is similarly impressive, with maximum ratings of 50 tonnes/40 cubic metres (5 standard cargo containers). A sophisticated autopilot-docking system remains optional for those too incompetent to dock with a Coriolis Station without crashing, burning, and generally exploding.

EDIT: My experimental shields on the Cobra have produced some interesting effects. Firstly, not all shots are stopped by the shield (intended). Secondly, the targeting of some weapons is disrupted to the point they are almost unable to lock on (unintended but way cool), namely the beam weapons on Starstrucks RSPK9. I have figured out why, I'll see about making a gif to demonstrate.

EDIT: Here's the gif, sorry about the framerate, had to be a bit ruthless in order to keep the filesize down.
Beamscatter.gif

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?