Fifth BSF Beauty Pageant - RESULTS POSTED

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Re: Fifth Official BSF Beauty Pageant - STARTS NOW

Post by CheesyErwin »

I am entering the Limited Realism with this ship:

JS-01 Jiangsu-class Long Range Support Cruiser
At the latter decades in the 21st century, a new kind of arms race had begun. Several superpowers, namely United States, European Conglomerate and China, in order to seize their interests on the newly-terraformed Mars, started to build up their space fleets.

The Jiangsu-class, arguably the largest military space vessel ever fielded by mankind, is the flagship of the PLASF (People's Liberation Army Space Fleet) 1st Battle Group. The Jiangsu-class is also the first space vessel capable of using nuclear weapons, which the UN's SSC (Space Security Council) had proposed to establish a new ordinance regarding the use of WMDs in space warfare. (Which had been overruled due to China's veto power)

Sporting several long range weaponry, the Jiangsu-class can provide massive firepower and can turn the tide of war. However, it lacks close range weapons other than two CIWS vulcans, and the nuclear missile's storage rack is rather volatile, and may become unstable when heavily damaged. Making Jiangsu-class rather ineffective in close range combat.

Custom Sprites Used:
PLA Emblem Doodad - CE_doodPLA.gif
IWC Large PPC - Cheesy_ECHPPC.gif
Ixra Linear Gradient - Ixra_Gradient_Straight.gif
Fraxy Sprite 70 - fraxy_70.png

EDIT:Sorta added a blurb.
EDIT2: The team stripe doodad added.
Attachments
[CheesyErwin]Jiang-su Class LRS Cruiser.rar
Download now fixed.
(306.64 KiB) Downloaded 3416 times
Last edited by CheesyErwin on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

jwa8402 wrote:
vidboi wrote:584 sections and countin
Jesus man, you trying to win by default cuz noone will be able to run your ships and will have to assume its awesome cuz its you? I fear this thing already, I think thats more than or at least approaching Gilgamesh's sprite count...
hurr... see my problem is i had the concept for the main weapons system (which i'm building the rest of the ship around) but that in itself turned out to be the size of a small frigate even at half scale, so i had to make the rest of the ship pretty large (about 750 radius) in order to keep the work that i'd put into the weapon visible. of course, being large the ship used up a lot of sections. being stock sections, they therefore needed a greater quantity of small sections to add more detail, and therefore making the whole thing have a huge section count. i'm going to try and merge some of the sprites together to reduce the count, but it's still going to be big... :)

p.s. 733 638 sections and counting (down, i'm sorting out the unneccessary) i reckon it'll be atleast 1200 OVER 9000 by the time i've finished :lol:
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

tnb may be banned from the BP now, but in case anyone else is interested 1hp=750w (approx.), therefore 8500Tw=around 11.3 million million hp, somewhat more than the 2 million he stated.
Nice looking boats STARSTRUCK, but to me your Iris Beam Cruiser already looks a bit like a Vorlon battleship from B5, especially the primary weapon.
Hope to have a submission for the stock category before the deadline, only just got back online and downloaded the sw sections, might take a while to get used to them. Quite a few, aren't there? :shock:
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Limited Realism

'Clear Sky' Vectoring Destroyer

Quick Blurb with cheap name references cause I felt like making some effort with backstories for once:
After breaking out of the 'Bog space' of the Delta Triangulum system and into greater Zone space, The Clear Sky faction realised they required warships with greater firepower and able to survive out of contact for extented periods of times alone or in small number, specifications not met with their previous patrol craft. The solution came in the form of the Vectoring Destroyer, brainchild of Novikov, chief technician for Clear Sky.

Armament:
8 'Avalanche' AP Particle Rifles - Low Damage Automatics.
2 'Bulldog' HE Particle Cannons - High Damage Single Shot.
3 'Gauss' Masers - Short Range Beam.

Custom Sprites:
Arc_bullets/fraxy_blast_cyan.png
Doodads/spr_TeamStripe.gif
exhausts/exhaust_cyan.png

Made using the MIRV build, needed for beams.
Attachments
[Rugdumph]BP5 - Clear Sky Vectoring Destroyer.rar
(16.74 KiB) Downloaded 3354 times
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Just a note. In the past I have extended the deadline when I thought there weren't enough submissions, but this is just a little ridiculous. I'm highly inclined to just cancel the Beauty Pageant if there aren't a fair few more entries by the time October rolls around...

And I still need another judge...
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
.Xrate.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by .Xrate. »

I want to enter to the Beauty Pageant, but my BSF doen'st start, what means that I can't test the ships. Can I make a submission anyways?
What can i state here?.......

Go to the TTC (Transcendency Trading Corporation) homepage
Or to the Terran United Nation Homepage

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5442&p=113556#p113556
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5448
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Beginning of the school year might have been a bad time to run the pageant, but I'm sure most of the entries will come near the deadline. At the very least, I'm almost finished with my limited realism entry.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

If you still need another judge I'd be willing to give it a go. Might save me some embarrassment having my inferior ships compared to some of the entries I've seen..........

.Xrate., I assume you've tried reinstalling (save .shp files etc. in another folder first)
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
.Xrate.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by .Xrate. »

.Xrate., I assume you've tried reinstalling (save .shp files etc. in another folder first)
I've done everything it just doen'st start read my problem here please.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5443
What can i state here?.......

Go to the TTC (Transcendency Trading Corporation) homepage
Or to the Terran United Nation Homepage

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5442&p=113556#p113556
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5448
guilee186
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by guilee186 »

The ship itself isn't very bad in design, but I don't recommend going into freeform with stock-looking sprites. They're not as aesthetically pretty.
Congratulations. You're a textbook definition of a troll. -Danny
~Armored Core is to Cosmicbreak like Starcraft II is to World of Warcraft.~
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

guilee186 wrote:I don't recommend going into freeform with stock-looking sprites. They're not as aesthetically pretty.
This.

Also, I think you should turn off the parenting lines for the preview image.

Lastly, I think you ought to put some more work into this submission. I don't want to go into premature judging, but I think you should look at the other submissions in this category and decide for yourself if you think you have a shot at winning.

I don't want to discourage you; I just want you to submit the best ship you can make.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Decided to to for something relatively simple. Probably mildly inaccurate since I haven't gotten to play it cuz I'm too cheap to buy the game and its locked in the demo :cry: May correct a few things before the deadline if I get time or people point them out to me.
Beauty Pageant Entry 1: Fan ship category
Ship: Imperial Centurion class cruiser
Source: Gratuitous Space Battles
Additional source material: http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspa ... model.html
Armaments: 'Globular goodness' Heavy plasma launcher, 'Red Ryder' beam lasers, 'Sticks and Stones' Megaton missiles
Defenses: 'MC Hammer' Automatic point defense system, 'Alice' Multiphasic Shields, 'Heavy(get it?)' Neutronium armor
Propulsion: 'Fire-cracker enema' Drive units

Enjoy; let me know of any problems, ya?
Attachments
Game shot
Game shot
Modeling shot
Modeling shot
model1.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 68878 times
Imperial Centurian Cruiser.zip
.zip with sb4, shp, and custom sprites.
(99.84 KiB) Downloaded 3249 times
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

I'll apply for judgeship if it's still available. Seeing new and interesting ship designs is one of the few reasons I still visit this wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Also, just a suggestion, for the limited realism you may wish to include a pack which has all the available parts, since with HorseMonster_Realistic is hidden in his thread and hosted on a really shitty hosting site.
Last edited by Noctis on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/Noctis888/SMframe0001-5.gif
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Limited Realism Entry
Name: Syracuse-class Beam Cruiser (so creative, I know)

Shipmaker shot (you see that layering error just behind the glowy core? It doesn't show up in game):

In-game shot showing retracted form: (press '/' to switch between the above and this)

Showing off freespace-style laser: (beam only fires when the ship is opened up)

Custom sprites used: spr_1px.png (place directly in custom sprites directory)
If there are issues with the submission, let me know ASAP:
Attachments
Syracuse.zip
(14.59 KiB) Downloaded 3564 times
Last edited by Water_and_Wind on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

CheesyErwin wrote:snip
Trying to run gives this error

for object __newobject1078:

Missing sprite!

Custom sprites\spr_TeamStripe.gif

Press ignore to replace with '?' sprite, or abort to terminate the game.

for object __newobject1079:

Missing sprite!

Custom sprites\spr_TeamStripe.gif

Press ignore to replace with '?' sprite, or abort to terminate the game.

I've installed all the specified sprite packs, including the ones bundled with this ship, and am running the newest version of BSF with the MIRV addons. I can only assume you forgot a sprite or I'm missing one from the packs.
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/Noctis888/SMframe0001-5.gif