MIRV Beta Release

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: MIRV Beta Release

Post by Adm. White Haven »

Can the weapons and/or the module be implemented separate from the no-glow and no knockback stuff?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It's pending, but I'd need to dig back through my sources to replace some things. It's not exactly high priority.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

Hey, I just ran a few tests with the new beta. Just for a heads up, the Critical Object detonates when the ship jumps out. May be fun in that the ship creates a destructive shockwave of sorts when it jumps out, but some people may want that fixed.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Machine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Machine »

Found something funny, you can actually order an allied ship, or even an enemy ship to warp out. Which is quite cool actually, but I guess this isn't a feature but just a bug. You can also order modules to warp out, and the game will report it, though they don't actually warp out.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It is intentional, actually. Since it was originally coded for the metagame, and at the time I wanted a way for enemy or allied ships to effectively retreat since they couldn't be ordered to the edge of the map and self-destructed.

@Silv; Odd, it didn't do that before. I guess something I changed somewhere made it start wigging out. Have to look into it later.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

This might already be known, but I've gotten an error message when I threw together some ships and sent them against nagaya's 3rd ship

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR in
action number 1
of Collision Event with object ShipSection
for object EBulletTachyon:

Error in code at line 65:
part_particles_create_color(global.SFX_Sparker,x,y,global.SFX_Spark,l_sparkcolour,l_damage*2)

at position 70: Unknown variable l_sparkcolour
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This happened with any object that the Tachyon bullets hit on my ships, so yes this happened continuously.
I have also attached the two ships that I was using.

I hope this helps in the process of ironing out bugs.

(Just curious, can ships from the beta be submitted to the Custom Ships section?)
Attachments
Snowflake 2.0 (beta).shp
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
Spear Class Destroyer (beta).shp
(9.51 KiB) Downloaded 824 times
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Okay, found and fixed the problem - the cause was immediately obvious, no ship files needed to catch that one.
(Just curious, can ships from the beta be submitted to the Custom Ships section?)
This is a stupid question. You know why? Because it's a stupid question. Actually, it's not that it's a stupid question. Wait, it is a stupid question. Why? Because of course you can submit ships made in this to the Custom Ships section. Just use a warning label if you use the new modules/weapons. :|

If people don't take time to read the part of your post that says 'get the MIRV beta or this will not work', then bitch that it doesn't work, that's their problem.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

Thanks, sorry about the stupid question.

(Shoot, that was dumb now that I think about it.)
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Arcalane wrote:Okay, found and fixed the problem - the cause was immediately obvious, no ship files needed to catch that one.
Are you going to release the fixed version?
Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kal Adama »

Very nice. The MIRVs give Frigates the stopping power of BCs, and give Dreadnoughts the stopping power of the freakin' Death Star. Wunderbar. It'll probably kill my machine to run a DN with no armament other than MIRVs. And, as has been suggested above, the Critical Object would make a great mine if a proximity sensor type thing could be programmed into it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Fixed exec download.

Also includes a slight tweak to the torpedoes. I'm sure some of us have noticed how - let's be frank - crap the explosions looked, especially when scaled up.

So I hijacked some code from the ship core explosion, reimplementing something I experimented with a few months back. The bigger the explosion size, the bigger and more showy the graphical effects are. Enjoy!

~~
Kal Adama wrote:...the Critical Object would make a great mine if a proximity sensor type thing could be programmed into it.
It's called Kamikaze AI. When it's not being retarded.

Other than that, no, I will not make the Crit Obj capable of automatic detonation. That's just asking for trouble.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i get this error code occasionally with the emp torpedos:
Spoiler!
ERROR in
action number 1
of Collision Event with object ShipSection
for object EBulletEMPTorpedo:

Error in code at line 18:
alarm[0] = l_effect

at position 22: Unknown variable l_effect
i think it occurs when the torpedo destroys the section that it hits which i presume is messing up something with the emp effect
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

vidboi wrote:i think it occurs when the torpedo destroys the section that it hits which i presume is messing up something with the emp effect
Read the weapon description notes that come with updates. EMP torpedoes cannot cause damage, period. ;)

I'm not sure what causes that unfortunately. It seems to occur when a ship is hit by multiple EMP Torpedoes in semirapid succession.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

Arcalane wrote:Read the weapon description notes that come with updates. EMP torpedoes cannot cause damage, period. ;)

I'm not sure what causes that unfortunately. It seems to occur when a ship is hit by multiple EMP Torpedoes in semirapid succession.
you mean read the documentation?!! :shock:

hmmm, i used to have this problem all the time with emp torpedos, atleast it's only occasional now

btw, could you possibly change the trails on the nuke mirv/torpedos to a slightly less glaring yellow? personally i think it looks really bad right now, and the trails could do with some more anti-aliasing as well
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

It it also possible to allow us to change the length of the trails?