Spaceship Design Rules v3.16

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Spaceship Design Rules v0.23

Post by calvin1211 »

My small contribution to the tests.
210 size, 5 heavy vulcans, three lasers, and two heavy missile launchers.
Keeps dying to smaller ships though. :oops:
Attachments
Calv_MG2 Hv Cruiser.shp
(27.35 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Gamesmanship Ray

Built using the new weapon masses. Best used en masse. Its rear is made of talc.

GunPatriot

Slow and vulnerable, has to stay the hell away from the front line, but goddamnit it has six bigass guns and I feel like the motherfucking He-Man with this shit on my side.
Attachments
GunPatriot.shp
(13.94 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Gamesmanship Ray.shp
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by STARSTRUCK on Wed May 19, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

HorseMonster wrote:
Rugdumph wrote:One question though, with the engine thruster module, should i set it to lose all accel., speed, and turning, or just most of it so it doesn't pinball but pretty much cripples it to immobile. I've assumed the later at the moment, easy change if i'm wrong. By the way i think the rules so far are pretty much spot on, pitted three of these against vidboi's lot, of course i didn't stand a chance, but the battle with that much lead flying was pretty entertaining, most enjoyment when seeing one of my ships saved by it's front armour so it does work! Oh and the core is smack bang in the middle too :wink:
I think making the ship completely immobile would probably be overdoing it, but the ammount of performance lost should be proportional to the output of the particular engine that was destroyed.
Rule of thumb I used for metaships when doing thrusters;

Main engines primarily reduce speed and accel.

Secondary engines and angled thrusters (the sort you might see on some DVL designs) primarily reduce turning, but may also have a small impact on speed.

For example, the Daredevil II (one of the few designs I made with engines besides the main bank) loses a lot of speed if you take out the rear engine block, but the side pod engines only reduce it's speed by a fairly small amount - though they take a decent chunk out of the turning.

Remember to set it so that accel is never reduced below 0.01 and you can avoid pingponging - accel works as decel as well. Having engines reduce speed/accel/turning noticeably is required, but on the same note don't feel you have to completely immobilize them as HM says. Ships probably have myriad unrepresented maneuvering thrusters that they can use for propulsion and general maneuvering in a pinch if you really want an excuse.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

because i can...
SMscreen031.png
hey STARSTRUCK, what was it you said the gunpatriot made you feel :D
IFNS Credence (meta 2 test).shp
(19.31 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
pretty much the most possible weaponry you can fit onto a meta ship using current rules
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

I've just picked up on something. Arc ranges seem to be pretty large, e.g. putting in a vulcan at 90 gives it a whole half circle. Just wonder if it's supposed to be like this, or if 90 is supposed to be degrees and in SM inputted as 45. Just incase i'm making ships with massive firing arc's.

Also another test, just a little one this time, ultra-light core and engine, one heavy autocannon and two vuclans. More an armoured shuttle or something than a warship.

Last edited by Rugdumph on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Rugdumph wrote:I've just picked up on something. Arc ranges seem to be pretty large, e.g. putting in a vulcan at 90 gives it a whole half circle. Just wonder if it's supposed to be like this, or if 90 is supposed to be degrees and in SM inputted as 45. Just incase i'm making ships with massive firing arc's.
90 means 90 degrees to the left and to the right, as a weapon turns left and right, also read the first post there's rules and guidelines there for a reason.
Like the weapon and module stats.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Rugdumph wrote:I've just picked up on something. Arc ranges seem to be pretty large, e.g. putting in a vulcan at 90 gives it a whole half circle. Just wonder if it's supposed to be like this, or if 90 is supposed to be degrees and in SM inputted as 45. Just incase i'm making ships with massive firing arc's.
It's supposed to be like that. 90 is the actual Arc Range value that you enter into shipmaker. Vulcans have massive arc ranges because as well as being effective main armament for small ships they are also for use on larger ships as CIWS.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

90 means 90 degrees to the left and to the right, as a weapon turns left and right, also read the first post there's rules and guidelines there for a reason.
Like the weapon and module stats.
Yes i have read the first post, several times, carefully, that's why i asked...and funnily enough i do understand how arc ranges work, and the principle of left and right.

@HM: Ok thanks, i guess the vulcan's seemed ok, it just struck me when a big artillery gun still had 60 listed as it's arc, thought it was rather large for a big gun like that.

Edit: A damn fast ship, since after fighting starstruck's gamesmanship ray and it doing one circle round my ship so fast it destroyed it having barely been targeted. And also i forgot to put a beamer onto the previous ship that should've been on.

Ed: @Starstruck: I think you should take a look at your vulcans on the Gamesmanship Ray, they seem to have an awful fast fire rate for heavy vulcans, just compared it to a little mock up and unleashed them at a brick, definitely faster.
Last edited by Rugdumph on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Rugdumph wrote:Ed: @Starstruck: I think you should take a look at your vulcans on the Gamesmanship Ray, they seem to have an awful fast fire rate for heavy vulcans, just compared it to a little mock up and unleashed them at a brick, definitely faster.
Shit, man. I accidentally set the damn things to fire about twice as fast. Sorry 'bout that. Here's a new upload.

And yet another ship for the test roster:

Valiant-class Assault Carrier
A meta1-style bundle of rape. Works well against smaller, maneuverable ships that would normally be a pain in the neck to hit.
Attachments
Valiant.shp
(10.28 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Gamesmanship Ray.shp
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

seeing as arcalane said that there'll be tech advancements allowing us to use multiple cores, can we create test ships with multiple cores to see how that would affect gameplay?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

My hands on some meta2 ships...

I present you the Centurion-class Strike Destroyer
SMscreen0202.png

Code: Select all

Used Mass:  	17130/17960  	Available Mass:  	830
Energy Consumption: 	1370/1700 	Available Energy: 	330
Speed: 	1.05078809107
Acceleration: 	0.0309398715703
Turning: 	0.45534150613

Code: Select all

Armaments:
2x HE Lasers
2x Missile Launchers
4x Autocannons
Attachments
DD-NT001 'Centurion'.shp
(15.16 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by CheesyErwin on Fri May 21, 2010 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Can't wait to pit that against my new little flankers :) .

One laser, two autocannons, light armour (very light in the centre and rear), and pretty damn fast.

Ed: Reposting the download cause the thrusters doubled up for some reason.
Last edited by Rugdumph on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Decided to do something.
Here it is:
Zephyr-class gunship
Beats STARSTRUCK's GunPatriot hard. Yay for drone bays. :) Yeah, slow as hell though.
Attachments
Zephyr-class gunship.sb4
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Zephyr-class gunship.shp
(10.79 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Introducing...

Electronic Countermeasures!

Modules that allow ships to dazzle the sensors of enemy ships in order to avoid detection.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

HorseMonster wrote:Electronic Countermeasures
Do those have any effect in combat, or are they just for the strategic portion of the game?
Anyway new test ships.
Small size 70 frigate with 2 drone launchers and 4 autocannons.
A tiny gunship. 1 beam and 1 vulcan. Fast and manuverable, but flimsy.
Testing an engineless station. 4 vulcans and one of the new ECM modules.
Attachments
Calv MG2 Gunship.shp
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Calv MG2 Frigate.shp
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Calv MG2 DefenceSat.shp
(8.4 KiB) Downloaded 77 times