Spaceship Design Rules v3.16

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Re: Spaceship Design Rules v0.23

Post by HorseMonster »

Try our new and exciting sensor modules!
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

what do they exactly do? you've said that they're used to detect ships from a distance, but what effect does this have in game?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

In combat? Nothing right now. In the rest of the game? We're still working on it, of course. We can't let you know everything before the game has started. ;)

Ed: This is not the place to discuss sensor rules. It's the place to discuss the shipbuilding rules. End of story. Try making dedicated AWACS ships, ships with/without sensor modules, etc. etc.

Sensors are not mandatory, but going without them is basically suicide too. Keep that in mind.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

In combat with my ships that I've made to these specifications, the sensor equipped ships faired incredibly poorly compared to non sensored, how important will sensors be exactly? They will have to be pretty vital to justify putting them on ships, oh and can you decide what the values for pd will be, because at the moment missiles dick on everything.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Sensors are pretty much vital if you want any intelligence what so ever on what you are going to encounter when you move your fleet to another location.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Would you not be able to launch probes or drones/scouts to the location before hand? these would of course be able to be destroyed by enemy fleets as long as they were detected before they could transmit back to the player. I was under the impression that sensor ships would be for long range communication (to call reinforcements or position fleets) or for EW systems.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Some shit to add to the roster of test ships.

Gamma Ray-class Fast Attack Corvette

Gamma Ray E-class Recon Corvette

Blind Guardian-class Fast Attack Destroyer
Attachments
nadir-meta2.rar
(10.64 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Really nice looking ships Starstruck but they were all owned by my scout ship, I didn't even have to control it myself or use my frigate. I would post it but I haven't set the engine HP values yet or the amount of thrust the ship loses from them, however this did not effect the battle as my ship only lost one section against the blind guardian.

STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Gief download so I can bump up my game. I didn't set my thrust losses yet either.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

ok, converted one of my ships to meta rules:
SMscreen028.png
IFNS Eminence (meta2 test).shp
(14.4 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
IFNS Eminence (meta2 test).sb4
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
a list of things that i've learnt from this:

a) power cores do not provide enough power for anything other than weapons
b) at the current rate meta 2 ships are going to be slow...
c) system seems biased towards weaponry over everything else
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

the speed is a little bit off because i lost some stats but i can't be bovvered to do the maths yet have fun with it lol

also it has a heavy power core and heavy engines this was neccesary to give it speed but it has paper armour to compensate for the mass, engines need to be more economical please!

however i appreciate that this is early tech.
Attachments
Krillich Scout.shp
(8.24 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Krillich Interceptor scout
Krillich Interceptor scout

HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Preacher, that ship isn't legal, its size circle is larger than the actual ship.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

when i reposition the core the circle fits perfectly but the core is repositioned towards the rear.

HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Re:

Post by HorseMonster »

Arcalane wrote:
HorseMonster wrote:
Kiltric wrote:I have a question about radius determination. Since arbitrary core placement can affect size to make ships artificially bigger/smaller in number, will there be any guidelines to stop people from fudging their size?
"Don't do that or we'll violate you with an Aralonian penisbrick ship" is the guideline for that issue. That kind of thing is cheating, and it's obvious cheating too. A ship's "size" should always be representative of its actual physical size.
Fixed. :D
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

just wondering wih autocannon should they have submunitions? you haven't mentioned them so currently i've left mine as the default

EDIT: what kind of classes will ships be divided into? the eminence is (by my standards) a frigate, but then my ships tend to be quite large, and i was wondering how the sizes will be divided in the actual game to give a sense of comparison
Last edited by vidboi on Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.