New Umbra Apparatus fleet, unfinished.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Umbra Apparatus fleet, unfinished.

Post by Lord_Baigent »

Hooray I'm back, not that anybody would have missed me and my one post. Anyway I've started a whole new fleet, now that I have my own lappy, and I want some constructive criticism on how it looks so far. I am also working on a carrier plus other ships, I'm also considering a dreadnought.

Apparatus Contego
A ship that provides a wall against attackn allowing for a strong defensive firing line.
Apparatus Gladius
The "sword" of the fleet lightly armoured frigates with devastating attack strength. Designed to be used with the contego.
Apparatus Tacitus
Command and battleship. Huge frontal attack capabilities due to its forward batteries coupled with the prow mounted experimental "superlaser". Overall defence from attack is also covered by two large shields protecing the core components, along with fighter hangers at the rear of the vessel and particle guns. The command bridge provides excellent coverage of the battlefield whilst backup computer systems allow the ship to continue operating if the bridge is damaged, though at a limited yet still lethal capacity.
Apparatus.....erm.....patolus craftus
Light patrol craft primarily used for scouting (may shrink it down to use as a fighter).

P.S. Sorry for the schizophrenic image sizes had to use print screen and paint rather than the in game screen shot thing, because it isn't wotking.
Where there is war there is COD
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Umbra Apparatus fleet, unfinished.

Post by Squishy »

First order of business: Shields need not be so intense a colour.

They're so bright and white that they're basically ruining the entire look of your ships.

As for the ships themselves, I spot pleasant section work in the internals. The shapes look practical and logical, going by the descriptions you gave these designs.

There's not much shading though, making your ships lose out on depth and they end up looking flat as result. This would be the second thing you should address.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

i really like the gladius just how you described it a sword to pierce through the defences and it really gives off that aggressive image. i like the contego as well, and then there is a f*ck off mahooosive shield in front of it that glares on my screen for three minutes after Ive changed web page. Why? why? WHY?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

To sum up above posts: tone down the eye-burning shields, and (particularly for the big ship) give the ship some more depth by shading it more

I like the second ship best, it looks and seems the most practical. And with the last ship, rather than shrinking it, you could simply add a pointy bit at the front
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord_Baigent »

I've tried to address the issues and have added a new ship to the collection.

I've shaded the lower sections darker the give a sense of depth and removed the aegis from the shields so they don't glare so much.
I've added the pointy bit but I think I've been a little lazy.
Again I've removed the glare of the aegis, the shield size has also been reduced.
Apparatus Omnis
Powerful cruiser designed to be the backbone of the fleet. A variety of weapons systems and heavy countermeasures allow this ship to operate efficiently on its own or in conjunction with other ships in its class. The prow mounted laser on this vessel is a miniaturized version of the Tacitus', placing the laser on a smaller platform has weakened the intensity of the beam though.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

please use a different sheild or make it additive if you havnt already or something it hurts please it hurts. however i like your last ship a bit cluttered, but thats easily solved. and yes your pointy bit is incredibly lazy :)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord_Baigent »

Apparatus carrier
Heavy support ship bosting five large gantries for the rapid deployment of small strike craft. Good if used in conjunction with the Tacitus.
The fighter now looks far more aggressive and generally better.
Shifted the parts around the Omnis to make it less cluttered.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The section placement is okay but the contrast between the light and dark sections is still too much. Try to change the shades of colour between each section so they blend into each other more

And with the fighter, the front could be a bit more beefy, because what it has at the moment is a bit wimpy
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

i think the fighter looks fine it just needs a couple of gun barrels pointing out either side of the sharp nose or something like that the other ships are much improved bravo just a bit of shading and they will be great.