I return too.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

I return too.

Post by parameciumkid »

I tried to resist the peer pressure, but sooner or later I inevitably had to jump onto the SW bandwagon. So I made a couple ships and was sure to include lots of trippy glow effects to make all of you think it's pretty.

Rotifer - yet another giant capital ship, only this time with SW sprites. And not so giant, I guess, but whatever:
Cecaelia - a medium-sized destroyer:
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Re: I return too.

Post by vidboi »

for the first ship i really like the outriggers. the layering is really effective. the main problem is that they don't fit at all with the central section - they just look stuck on - and the main part does the ship little credit. i can see that you're trying to get it to look like an insect (atleast that's what it looks like to me). if you made the middle more in the style of the outer parts i belive it would look a lot better.

the second ship on the other hand i can't really say anything bad about. i like the shape, but perhaps it's a little cluttered in the middle, and you can see the core. other than that, i'd love to see more ships in this style
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The arms on the Rotifer are way too dark. The sudden light contrast on the outmost sections on the arms look out of place. The main body shape is okay, but melding solid a solid Uraki body with the Dst arms radically contrasts the styles of the individual sprites.

The Cecaelia is somewhat better,the style is more uniform. There's an odd horizontal line that stands out on the back of the ship.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

LactoseTolerant wrote:The arms on the Rotifer are way too dark.
Yep. Maybe it's the settings on my monitor, but as it stands I can't even see the arms. For the main body, it looks kinda flat, and the sections poraly need to be depthed more. Actually, the entire ship looks like its pointing the wrong way, because the way that the direcion of the wings are swept back make it look like the front end is on the left, and the back is on the right :?

The second ship is better, it has a clearer and cleaner style. The core is showing but that can be easily covered up. You could probaly add some small green doodads to the centre and the side wings, to complement front and back the green-tinged front and back sections
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
fatrat600284
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by fatrat600284 »

The wings on Rotifer are to dark. Try giving it some more color. I would just like to know what was the idea behind the Rotifer anyway?
Last edited by fatrat600284 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

The design is basically inspired by this animal:
...which is called, unsurprisingly, a rotifer. They are small aquatic animals and the only group of animals with two mouths. Their name means "wheel bearer," the animal being named for the rings of cilia surrounding each of its mouths, which wave in a circular motion.
The wings, as you'll notice, are not found on real rotifers; I just put them there to make the ship more, uh, "wingy." So they're supposed to look a little tacked on. On my computer the wings show up fine, but I did mess with the gamma settings a bit, so I guess it would have been wise to lighten them before redistribution.
fatrat600284
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by fatrat600284 »

Interesting. The body is fine. Like what you did with the 'mouths.' But try bringing the wings closer to the body. That may make them look less 'tacked on.'
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

Here is a recolored version of the Rotifer that you guys can hopefully see better:
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

now it's lighter we can see the actual construction of the ship. i realy don't like the use of the dst sprites. they look cluttered and messy which is only made worse by it's contrast with the clean lines of the lighter sections of the ship. i also don't like the repetition to form the curve. try using some curved sections or adding some variation. also for the sake of appearances the modules really don;t look good against the sw ship, i think you should set the alpha to 0. other than that it's quite nice. i like the engines especially
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

I actually don't mind the way the dst sprites are used, and I'm betting the reason why vidboi doesn't like it is because of those light grey curvy sections that have been put on the sides, it contrasts badly with the dst sections

The core is also showing in the middle, and you should try and hide the modules
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

I don't understand why everyone has to bring up that the core is visible and core = bad. Does the core actually look ugly to you, or are you just mentioning it because it's there?
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

parameciumkid wrote:I don't understand why everyone has to bring up that the core is visible and core = bad. Does the core actually look ugly to you, or are you just mentioning it because it's there?
It, just like the modules now that I mention it, looks like shit since it ISN'T in the same style as the rest of the ship. IT'S IN OPPOSING COLOURS! black with a white rim, while the ships sprites are grey with a black rim.

And the DST sections really don't work with the grey repetition wings.