WYRDYSM GAMES

Home of Battleships Forever
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:40 pm 
Offline
Captain
Captain

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:57 am
Posts: 355
Location: Thin air
I like the red one best, although the yellow one isn't bad either.

The sections near the front in the middle look kinda flat and lacking in detail, although that's probaly because I'm comparing that area to the light grey sections around it, which have that realistic, 3D feel to it. It's like the front-mid section lacks the detail when compared with the rest of the ship

_________________
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28 pm 
Offline
aka SilverWingedHerpaderp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:51 pm
Posts: 3417
Location: Elsewhere
Image
"Absit Invidia" - Angra Mainyu-class Cruiser Refit.

Download and maybe a bit of backstory stuff coming later. Also I'll be starting work on a proper, un-modified, military grade Angra Mainyu Cruiser. After that, I've been considering a junkyard-pirate variant, with more of the internals showing and a rough, chunky outer hull. So that may be interesting.

_________________
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:32 pm 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 pm
Posts: 263
Location: somewhere cosy
very nice SWS the engine glow colour is perfectly suited to the ship. on the subject of the pirate ship what about using destroyed sections on it to give it a real junkyard feel? looking forward to more :)

_________________
Image

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 pm 
Offline
BANNED

Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:49 pm
Posts: 66
Really nice ship, I like the general flow of it.
All I can think of are some minor nitpicks, like that the fueltank thingies on the sides don't line up with the green section above them, and that the engine glows come out of the side of the engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:17 am 
Offline
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:25 am
Posts: 51
Location: Somewhere in Time
There's something about the Absit Invidia that i just can not put my finger on. It just rubs me the wrong way. It's not a bad ship. It just not your best. But still a hell of a lot better then anything i can make. (As of now.)


Anyway keep up the good work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:10 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain

Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 493
It seems you decided to take my advice after all despite the fact that I have no evidence. :wink:

Anyway, lookin' nice. The numbers on the fuel rods are bothering me because they look like they're on a flat surface when the fuel rod appears to be curved. Also, the wide front is bothering me but that's just taste. IMO the front would look better with just the two thin-long rods but idk. Just ignore the last part.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 pm 
Offline
aka SilverWingedHerpaderp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:51 pm
Posts: 3417
Location: Elsewhere
Maart3n wrote:
Really nice ship, I like the general flow of it.
All I can think of are some minor nitpicks, like that the fueltank thingies on the sides don't line up with the green section above them, and that the engine glows come out of the side of the engines.

The green sections above the fuel tanks are part of the hull. The fuel tanks themselves are attached to the internals. It's mostly a coincidence they even mesh together as well as they do. And yeah, the engine glow coming out the side is a little annoying, but doesn't bother me enough for me to actually try to fix it.
25000st wrote:
It seems you decided to take my advice after all despite the fact that I have no evidence. :wink:

I tried it. It looked good. If you had told me to completely restructure my ship, I would have ignored you completely. :P
25000st wrote:
The numbers on the fuel rods are bothering me because they look like they're on a flat surface when the fuel rod appears to be curved.

Yeah... I actually have no idea how to fix that, and even if I did, it seems like it'd be too much trouble.
25000st wrote:
Also, the wide front is bothering me but that's just taste. IMO the front would look better with just the two thin-long rods but idk.

Eh, perhaps, but I probably won't be making any more major additions to the ship. Once I finally get around to it, I'll stick some point defenses on it and maybe a few more doodads, post it, and move onto the military version of the ship, which won't have those front side bits at all.

_________________
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:07 pm 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:13 am
Posts: 395
Depthless and flat, but pretty interesting nonetheless. Section choice makes up for it, pretty much. I like that you added some text to the ship itself, and the color scheme. Overall, it looks like something from retro anime, especially with the hull shape, strong colors, and the engines. :D

I'm not big on the whole substructure fad. I don't think it adds a lot to a ship, and knowing that you bothered with it doesn't make an average ship automatically more interesting. Still, I guess it's cool ingame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 pm 
Offline
aka SilverWingedHerpaderp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:51 pm
Posts: 3417
Location: Elsewhere
Cycerin wrote:
Depthless and flat, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

I honestly disagree with you on this count, as I thought I did a fairly good job of making the shading and depthing smooth, consistent, but fairly simple. But you are entitled to your opinion. I guess it's not for everyone.
Cycerin wrote:
I'm not big on the whole substructure fad. I don't think it adds a lot to a ship, and knowing that you bothered with it doesn't make an average ship automatically more interesting. Still, I guess it's cool ingame.

I don't think it's really a "fad", since one person did it, then maybe 2 or 3 other people did it, and then it pretty much stopped. It actually takes a fair bit of effort, and I personally feel it adds a fair bit to the ship. But again, it's a subjective thing. And yeah, it's pretty sweet in-game.


Anyway! Here's the Absit Invidia, with animated gif and full download. Enjoy.

Image
Download the Absit Invidia.

Quote:
Name: "Absit Invidia", formerly "Resplendent Fist of the Stars"
Registration Number: ERN-01762-G
Registered To: Gregory Malcolm Black.
Ship Class: Retired "Angra Mainyu"-class Warcruiser from the Kelranian Interstellar Navy. Heavily Modified.
Armament: Three Modified Albeda Tech Type-6 Autoflak Cannons.
Length: 252 metres.
Mass: 120,000 tons (unloaded).
Engines: 4x Rockwell Systems Rowena-class Ionic Drives.
FTL: Modified Rockwell Systems Sirius-class Hyperdrive rated for a maximum speed of 50,000c.

History: Originally the "Resplendent Fist of the Stars", a heavily armed Angra Mainyu-class Cruiser in the KIN, after a heavy battle with a well armed pirate faction, the ship was decommissioned due to extensive damage to its hull and internal systems. The weapons systems, FTL-drive, engines and generator were stripped, as well as much of the original armor plating, and what remained of the ship was left to float among much space-junk.

Upon discovering the wreckage, Captain Gregory Black, the commander of an Albedan freight ship, decided to rebuild the ship and become a private cargo vessel. Upon hiring a crew, he organised for the wreckage to be towed into a dry dock, where he and his comrades began work on its reconstruction. By the time the repairs were completed, Gregory was deep in debt, and so his first work was smuggling illegal narcotics and weapons for the blackmarket.

Over the years, the engines and FTL drive have been replaced, tampered with and upgraded many times, and a trio of powerful auto-flak weapons have been added, ostensibly to ward off pirates and stray meteors, though in reality more than a few members of the crew have bounties on their heads, and Gregory isn't especially popular himself.

_________________
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 pm 
Offline
Admiral
Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 1978
Excellent to have a download; just a few things... Several of Blackharts sprites appear to be missing, at least three errors came up that didn't include the two bh sprites in the download. I know this is your prerogative but the range might be tweaked a bit since as soon as it spawned it moved right on top of my ship and sat there. That said I love the use of arc's turrets over the machine guns, I think that is the first time the guns haven't looked out of place to me. The glowy bits in back with the lightening sprite contribute a lot of the ship, and all the layering was well worth it in combat. Nicely timed doodads as well. I think the sectionwork is an improvement on some of your previous work and in most places really does highlight the shading. Take all that for whatever its worth :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 am 
Offline
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:25 am
Posts: 51
Location: Somewhere in Time
After trying the Absit Invidia ingame i have to say i like it a lot more then i did before. Still looks a little flat and Depthless. But the level of detail shown on this ship makes up for it. Good job.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:54 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain

Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:05 am
Posts: 493
Some original doodading you've got there. Few nitpicks. The doodad on the orange engine fades to a blackish color and that kinda bothers me. The green moving line doodad is also not mirrored correctly. The orange glow of the exhausts completely envelopes the thrusters at the back which... makes the thruster look like it's been chopped in half :? . I hope that made sense.

Anyhow, that's some of the best animated doodading I've ever seen. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 am 
Offline
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 am
Posts: 2519
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
This is refreshing in style. Certainly different from whatever else I've seen from you. The difference in section choice between the front and the back is unusual but well executed. Good doodading, etc., you know the drill. Glad to see you're back.

_________________
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
Image
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 am 
Offline
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm
Posts: 27
Nice ship :) Just wondering, where do you get those sprites for those fuel pods (or are those cargo bays?) at the front of the ship? Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am 
Offline
aka SilverWingedHerpaderp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:51 pm
Posts: 3417
Location: Elsewhere
jwa8402 wrote:
Several of Blackharts sprites appear to be missing, at least three errors came up that didn't include the two bh sprites in the download.

Really? Well shit. I don't know why the hell that happened. I downloaded a separate version of BSF just for testing ships in before I upload them. It had no custom sections other than the ones BSF comes with and the ones in the zip, and the ship loaded fine in Shipmaker. This is odd.
jwa8402 wrote:
I know this is your prerogative but the range might be tweaked a bit since as soon as it spawned it moved right on top of my ship and sat there.

That might be because it doesn't have any offensive weapons, but I'm not sure. I included the sb4 in the download, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
jwa8402 wrote:
That said I love the use of arc's turrets over the machine guns, I think that is the first time the guns haven't looked out of place to me. The glowy bits in back with the lightening sprite contribute a lot of the ship, and all the layering was well worth it in combat.

I'm glad you like it. Yeah, I'm happy with the way the guns turned out. Normally I avoid adding visible weapons to ships at all because they just don't look very much like they fit on the hull, but in this case it turned out rather nicely, which I'm pleased with.
jwa8402 wrote:
Nicely timed doodads as well. I think the sectionwork is an improvement on some of your previous work and in most places really does highlight the shading. Take all that for whatever its worth :lol:

Thanks, jwa, that actually is worth a fair bit to me.
25000st wrote:
Some original doodading you've got there. Few nitpicks. The doodad on the orange engine fades to a blackish color and that kinda bothers me.

It does? I'm not sure I know which doodad you mean. I'll have to look into that.
25000st wrote:
The green moving line doodad is also not mirrored correctly.

It isn't? Bugger.
25000st wrote:
The orange glow of the exhausts completely envelopes the thrusters at the back which... makes the thruster look like it's been chopped in half . I hope that made sense.

Yeah, it makes sense. I know the problem you're talking about. That is actually all due to my laziness. I knew about the problem and was too lazy to fix it. So yeah. My bad.
25000st wrote:
Anyhow, that's some of the best animated doodading I've ever seen.

Thanks!
ArcaneDude wrote:
This is refreshing in style. Certainly different from whatever else I've seen from you. The difference in section choice between the front and the back is unusual but well executed. Good doodading, etc., you know the drill. Glad to see you're back.

Thanks. Glad to be back. :)
unitedblah wrote:
Nice ship :) Just wondering, where do you get those sprites for those fuel pods (or are those cargo bays?) at the front of the ship? Thanks

They're cargo bays. Or they're meant to be. Anyway, those sprites are from HorseMonster's realistic sections pack. There's a link to them somewhere in his ship thread, though I can't recall exactly where.

_________________
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group