Anna's Shipmaking Stuff

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Anna's Shipmaking Stuff

Post by Anna »

First Post Reserved for an Index, so I can link to specific ships in individual posts. This is really necessary if you want to be able to find anything specific, especially if the thread gets quite large, which many of my shipbuilding threads have.
Last edited by Anna on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anna

Re: Anna's Shipmaking Stuff

Post by Anna »

Okay, I haven't got anything finished yet. Haven't really done much in the way of shipbuilding yet, but I thought I might as well start the thread now. I also have a semi-WIP that I wanted to get some feedback on, since I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I thought I'd take a shot at just making the internal parts of a ship first, with no clear idea in mind of what it was going to look like, and then build the hull over it. This is what I've got of the internals so far. I'm not entirely sure I like it, and I get the feeling that a hull built over it would look ugly as fucking sin, but I don't know, and can't decide whether or not I should keep going, or whether I should scrap it and try something else. So I'm asking you guys.

EDIT:
[19:48:33] <Netharis> I think some of the Dst sprites on that skeleton thing are off center
[19:55:13] <Anna> Actually, it's all the HorseMonster sprites that are. They're lopsided. It's really annoying.
[19:55:36] <Anna> But not something that I can fix without editing the sprites themselves.
[19:57:28] <Anna> ... OH FUCK.
[19:57:36] * Anna headdesks.
[19:57:59] <Anna> "Snap screenshot" "close SM" "remember that you forgot to SAVE THE SHIP FIRST"
[19:58:05] * Anna head explode.
Okay, well, after I've redone all the changes and additions, it'll look like this:

EDIT 2:
Hm, still no posts? Ah well. Let's go update!

That'll do for now, I think. Gonna go find something else to occupy my attention for a while.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

That actually looks really good. Really like those engine core like things.
But I think the DS tech digger blade is just a bit too light at the moment.
And I am puzzled why the skeleton on the first ship seems to cross in the center.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Welcome back, maart3n. I darkened the bit you mentioned, and yeah, the cross bit... eh.

Anyway, work has started on the hull, but I'm undecided as to whether or not the hull should almost fully or only partially cover the internals, so I thought I'd ask you guys and see what you have to say. Also, gonna set up a poll for people to vote on for a colourscheme. I don't mind it the way it is, but perhaps it might be unpopular.

Quality Control Enforcer
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

nice frame and engine pods.I like the colour scheme as it is, and id like to see a ship with some of it innards exposed i think that would look groovy.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

I don't really like the purple/green/grey maybe without the grey, but that would fit since these sections are rather metalish.
Don't know.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

if you were planning on showing the innards i don't think they would show up as well with the other colour schemes, people would think they were just different coloured parts of the hull, unless they read the whole thread of course.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Well, the vote was inconclusive. But I remember it doesn't matter, 'cause if you do it right, recolouring a ship takes all of 20 seconds. So here's what I have so far in all four colour schemes!

Dunno if I'm gonna add much else or not. I think for the grey and gold scheme, I might have to recoloured the internals to make them darker, for the hull to be distinguishable from the internal bits.
Quality Control Enforcer
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Pretty cool Anna. I'm not a big fan of how square the fronts are but very original.

For the purple/green color scheme, I suggest you replace blue with orange because that will make a perfect triad. As for the pink, I would change the orange to a more yellowish color but that's really up to you. For red, technically green works better than blue.

The one thing that bothers me on the red one is the depthing feels weird. I understand that the dark gray is supposed to be a 'color' but it just doesn't feel right to me. And the small dark gray things that connect the square fuel cells(?) I feel should be lighter.

Overall, very different and original. I rather like the yellow one.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Seraph builds ships again, and hes still sharp, yay!

Please don't cover up the middle block from this: http://i40.tinypic.com/ht9xes.png , its awesome and would be a shame to hide it. Or make another ship with it! :)
Those side bits on the front? Thats just ugly, doesn't really fit i think - innards floating in space just like that while the rest of the ship is 'properly' covered with armor. What is it supposed to be?
As for color scheme, gray+yellow is boring. Dark gray+red is cliché, but at least looks better. And neon pink, seriously? My bet is on the original, purple+green. It looks decent, doesn't hide innards, and is... original.

Man, im so envious of HorseMonster's sprites, but he won't share his technique :(
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

And neon pink, seriously? My bet is on the original, purple+green. It looks decent, doesn't hide innards, and is... original.
What's wrong with pink? There's tons of colors that work with it. Dark Green, light blue, yellow-orange...
And purple+green isn't unusual.

Man, im so envious of HorseMonster's sprites, but he won't share his technique
Dang, is that why you haven't released any sections lately? I'm looking forward to more stuff from you. :D
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

for me its that shade of pink, its just not right. Mind you my next creation is like orange so...

Anna

Post by Anna »

Please don't cover up the middle block from this: http://i40.tinypic.com/ht9xes.png , its awesome and would be a shame to hide it. Or make another ship with it! :)
I'll probably do several versions of the ship with varying degrees of armor over the internal portions. Never fear. I'm actually fairly pleased with how this ship turned out, since it was my very first attempt at anything in a few months.
Those side bits on the front? Thats just ugly, doesn't really fit i think - innards floating in space just like that while the rest of the ship is 'properly' covered with armor. What is it supposed to be?
The concept that I've taken with this ship is that it's basically a scrapped military warship that had all the useful stuff like guns and bits of the armor already taken off. it was then repurposed as a cargo-ship. The side bits at the front are basically for hauling cargo, and weren't part of the original craft's design, which is why they lack the same level of armoring as the rest of the ship.
As for color scheme, gray+yellow is boring. Dark gray+red is cliché, but at least looks better. And neon pink, seriously? My bet is on the original, purple+green. It looks decent, doesn't hide innards, and is... original.
Yeah, purple+green is my favourite of the four. The pink was mainly done as a joke option.
Man, im so envious of HorseMonster's sprites, but he won't share his technique :(
HorseMonster's spritecrafting Technique Guide:
[08:19:02] <Anna> Share your technique with Kaelis so he can make delicious sections. D: Plz.
[08:20:28] <Latooni> let him STEW
[08:21:10] <PorscheMonster> My "technique" is I shade sections in the way that you are meant to shade a 3 dimensional objects and I use good contrast.
[08:21:44] <Anna> AMAZING TECHNIQUE I WILL SHARE THIS IMMEDIATELY.
[08:25:44] <PorscheMonster> In all seriousness I have quite alot of experience making sprites that I got somewhere else, I can't really describe my "technique" because I gained said experience over an extended period of time.
[08:26:21] <PorscheMonster> It's not so much a specific way of doing something, it's just... what you do.
[08:29:48] <Anna> I do know what you mean.
25000st wrote:For the purple/green color scheme, I suggest you replace blue with orange because that will make a perfect triad.
I don't really care about that sort of thing, usually. But what the hell, I'll give it a shot. It can't hurt.
Quality Control Enforcer
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The pink was mainly done as a joke option.
Aww.... I was sincerely interested in seeing it happen. It actually does work you know.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

actually the pink one does have a strangly interesting look to it.
we havent seen a pink fleet, or at least a good pink fleet yet.
maybe you could go with that idk.
still great work like usualy, your ships are always well thought out and well executed.

and the engine designs on this are pure pwn.