The Kysatria of Samsara

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

STARSTRUCK

The Kysatria of Samsara

Post by STARSTRUCK »

...so, yeah. I've been lurking a while. My main interest has always been in the triggers and movement, which are direly unintuitive but seem satisfying to master. I'm not up to the challenge of building transforming ships yet, but I managed to make something really really cool while messing with thrusters and rotation.

Cruiser Solitudo
It is a ship with energized oars that only appear when the ship is moving. They row in sequence to propel the ship forward. 360 degree thrusters mounted on rotating sections were used for the oars, and some slow turrets to create the sectioned body. I'm doing a poor job of explaining it, but I'm not sure how to provide a download with the custom section sprites (I might do it wrong).

I want to make more creative stuff like this, but I don't know where to start. You can give me some suggestions, or you can critique the ship. Whatever you'd like!
Last edited by STARSTRUCK on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The design of the ship is a bit iffy. I understand that it needs to be segmented to a degree for your purposes, but it still seems a little frail.

With respect to the triggers, if I understand you correctly, then that is just beautiful.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

You can export all the sprites at once by loading up the ship and hitting "Export Custom Sprites" under Tools. Then just zip the sb4/shp up with the folder and upload it somewhere. Plenty of filehosting sites around.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

Wow really? That's pretty cool, thanks for mentioning it.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

@Arcalane: Thanks. That basically eliminates my worries. But I guess it was a little obscure if I didn't find that button already...

Assault Craft - Kala Nemi
Here's a more contemporary (read: boring) ship. I spent a little time last night easing into making my own sections, as you can see. The Shipwrightizator is a little fumbly, isn't it? Either way, I'm not planning on releasing a download until I build a good portfolio of sprites. That might take a while, so don't hold your breaths, mmkay?
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

An interesting ship, definitely a different style from what we are used to on here, at least from what I've seen, the basic structure is good, it looks almost frail, but it seems like one of those old Asian karate masters, looks frail, kicks arse.

The sprites you've used have created a nice look to it, and it definitely has a kind of flow to it, I'm looking forward to more of your work.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The contrast for your first ships is too high. Give your sections a bit more shading, and tone down the glows a bit.

Your second ship is better in the ways stated above, but it's a bit average (not that it's a problem). If you could add the shading of the second ship to the first, it would look better

Beyond that, everything else is fine
Zardian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zardian »

i really like these ships..
the orange-gray seems to work really well
criticism.... sorry got nothin :wink:
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Very nice work. Your details and everything are well done. Just the kae sml section on the wing bothers me.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

On the Kala Nemi, perhaps put the two farthest wing glow geometries underneath the opaque sections rather than have them on top.

Suggest the same for all the glows as well, but its on the wings where the overlap is greatest and this dilutes the silhouette of the ship as a result.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Thanks for the crits, I guess. I headed up on another ship; something a lot bulkier and more weighty looking, but in roughly the same style.

Shield Battlecruiser - Rig Veda

If I bother trying to balance these ships, I think they would make a good fleet. Couple more to come.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

You've got an excellent style developing here, and I definitely like your custom sprites. Keep this up, it's gorgeous.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

This is some really good stuff, you've sure set the bar high :lol: . I'd love to see the oars in action, if you could post the DL or a video to it. The design of the ships are nice, good use of mecha sprites. The orange aegis is a nice touch.

And are those custom sprites on the Rig Veda? Do want.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

Indeed, DO WANT!
Specially the section at the center area. The one over the core. The one with red circles too.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Your wish is my command.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Kysatria.rar
The RAR contains a Custom Sprites export for instant action. If you think you have all the standard sprites in there, just take the full STAR_sections folder.

The Solitudo has been replaced with a more presentable ship, though perhaps I did indeed set the bar too high for myself.

Oarship - Vritra

It moves good, though.