Questions about Speed and Accel.

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Questions about Speed and Accel.

Post by Blue-Rex »

Ok, I want to make my ships consistent, but I'm not sure how the program figures out the actual speed of the ship. Is there some kind of formula that I can use to get the actual speed of each ship? Does the pixel size of a ship change this, or is it the sprite count? Is there a formula to figure the acceleration of the ship too? What are all the factors that go into figuring out both speed and acceleration? If anybody has an answer, I'd be grateful to them.
Thanks, Blue
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Speed is exactly that. It is fixed, set in shipmaker. The size of the ship has no impact on it's handling behaviour beyond appearance.

What Speed and Accel actually are... well, I couldn't tell you that. Not sure exactly.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Speed is the maximum velocity at which a ship can move around. This upper limit is calculated at pixels per second. A ship with 2.5 speed moves at 2.5 pixels a second when move forward.

Acceleration is the ship's ability to change velocity. It determines how quickly the ship can change its speed, including accelerating and braking. A ship with 2.5 speed and 0.75 acceleration will reach maximum speed at a little over 3 seconds, and can come to a complete stop from max speed in three seconds as well.

Note that maximum speeds and acceleration are at their max when the ship is moving forward. When moving sideways or backwards, it's not as agile.