Fighters

To keep locked threads from taking up the top spaces
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

even the gunships are pushing it a bit though.
I think the biggest problem is that until min-max targeting actually works, fighters'll end up being far more of a problem then they're worth. Besides being absolutely shredded by big guns, there's also the problem that big guns waste shots on fighters, so that ships fire actually ends up having to be balanced not by how strong it is, but how strong it is after wasting a barrage on fighters.

And, of course, as Arca said, the rate of fighter deaths makes any non-infinite squad system... well, yeah.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

For a good parralel Gratuitous Space Battles has fighters in it simmilar to the BSF ones we use, however thye do have fighter AI, but even then your not expected to have a single fighter left over after a battle, fighters are screens and surgical strike ships.

In naval terms imagine them as protesters in a dingy, absolutly useless at doing anything but drawing fire.

The main thing about space battles is the big ships, just in naval combat.
However naval combat also requires fighters for surgical strikes and defending from enemy fighters.

Once the min/max systems works, we should load up each fighter with 2 or 3 heavy missiles that fire ones and then disable themselves. They would be able to do heavy damamge to a large ship, and then get out of there and use their light guns to take out smaller craft.

But basically untill the min/max thing is fixed, we will have no use for fighters other than as flak magnets.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Fighters are way too much micromanagement right now anyway, because the AI doesn't do strafe runs properly half of the time.

I also can't see anyone seriously using Gunships unless some allowance for multiple ships to be completed from the same bay/yard/hangar per turn is made... which might happen if there was some nice web stuff, but tracking all this stuff in my head? Nuh uh.
GATC
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by GATC »

Hello everyone.
I have a fighters idea for you.
But, more than explication, a demonstration you can do with this two ship.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... rigate.shp <= Anti-fighter
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Bomber.shp <= Bomber
What do you think of that?
The only probleme in my system is the sound...

(PS: Don't take in consideration the range and the speed of the ships ^^)
Beware! I have a Pinkie Pie launcher!
(When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.)
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

For strikecraft, just have a driver weapon to point them towards the enemy at all times, and give them negative AI range and flanking AI so they will dart in and out of the enemy ship. The movement looks pretty good and they are more evasive (negative AI range = constantly moving) and offensive (always facing the enemy). Do this and you won't have to micromanage fighters at all. Just sic them on the unsuspecting Rebels/aliens/whatever.

For demonstration, the fighters I made for M1 recently use this scheme and it works well.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

The only concern is that even the best made fighters in BSF will die too easily, leave tiny pesky cores that further distract weapons and, most aggravating of all, fly straight into debris or incoming fire with reckless abandon. With their low HP, an entire squadron can suicide like idiots on the carcasses of their kills with a single touch.

No matter how small they are made, these problems persist.

We just need Kaelis to finish up the min/max targetting feature to make fighters slightly more viable. Otherwise stick with gunships and demeters to avoid the hassle.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Squishy wrote:We just need Kaelis to finish up the min/max targetting feature
that and maybe the ability to change what teh core looks like then we could make true 1 section fighters :) but ya demeters seem like the best option and the main objection i've heard is how sharply they turn but watch bsg or b5, they do the same thing.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Raul wrote:that and maybe the ability to change what teh core looks like then we could make true 1 section fighters :) but ya demeters seem like the best option and the main objection i've heard is how sharply they turn but watch bsg or b5, they do the same thing.
Oh great, that way we would have rule of cool fighters, not saying that its not possible but try and make such a sharp turn in zero grav without inertial dampeners and you'll have blood splattered on your cockpit window, i do agree however that for now, demeters would probably work best, unless of course PD system are extremely limited, but that could bring an interesting factor into play.
Last edited by AlphaDetisMegas on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

We have FTL available. Some sort of inertial dampening system probably isn't that far off.
*I think I've been watching too much Scfifi.
Raul wrote:
Squishy wrote:We just need Kaelis to finish up the min/max targetting feature
that and maybe the ability to change what teh core looks like then we could make true 1 section fighters :) but ya demeters seem like the best option and the main objection i've heard is how sharply they turn but watch bsg or b5, they do the same thing.
I just wish we could change Demeter sprites.
Or did I miss an update?
Don't you have stuff to do?
Ya know. The important things.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Nutcase wrote:I just wish we could change Demeter sprites.
Or did I miss an update?
We can, they just don't rotate or have a directional facing.
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Wow. Thanks.
Last time I tried, I got an error message.
Although I expected a much.
Don't you have stuff to do?
Ya know. The important things.
Maart3n
BANNED

Re: Fighters

Post by Maart3n »

You know, I had this idea a few months back after playing Empire at war.
I made a core with some sections added to it, then made another ship like that rotate around it and another and so on. It worked, sort of. They flew around the squad leader(core) when idle, and all flew in the same direction when ordered to move. Dogfights looked epic. Shame I lost the file.
I think someone could do this way better then me, someone with a bit more experience.

It would also solve the one ship a turn problem, since it is infact one ship, and you could kill them by shooting the commander.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Fighters

Post by Arcalane »

Strikecraft are not happening in meta2. Period.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ