WYRDYSM GAMES

Home of Battleships Forever
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:31 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am
Posts: 411
Location: Karona, Fantasinia
*dusts himself off*

Anirk.

Image

_________________
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am
Posts: 411
Location: Karona, Fantasinia
POW

Mid WIP. x3 Speed.

Image

After some trial and error, i've made the cannon so that it can burrow through and disintegrate the target after it's been cored. Battleships as large as the Cronus just "goes away", along with most of my previous ships' sections in 1 shot. In short, it's the Mythbusters' Cement Truck Solution :lol:

_________________
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:09 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:06 am
Posts: 346
Location: A place, somewhere
Wow, nice transformation there. I didn't quite get your explanation, could you show a pic of what you mean?

_________________
Stupid Stufff:
Spoiler: show
-If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't blow your nose into your hand.
-If at first you don't succeed, blame the nearest idiot.
-Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 pm 
Offline
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:28 pm
Posts: 1345
Nice triggers, but I have two burning requests: I want to know what kind of gun it is, and I want to see it shoot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:42 pm 
Offline
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:32 am
Posts: 852
Smooth out some of the sudden movements with the smaller pieces.

It's looking great so far.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:14 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:11 am
Posts: 74
Location: Infront of a computer.
Ok, just a nooby question here. How do you get to record GIFs of the trigger effects?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:25 pm 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am
Posts: 411
Location: Karona, Fantasinia
Corporal Jomn wrote:
Wow, nice transformation there. I didn't quite get your explanation, could you show a pic of what you mean?


Danny420Dale wrote:
Nice triggers, but I have two burning requests: I want to know what kind of gun it is, and I want to see it shoot.


I'm still working on perfecting the Tac Nuke Lancer. The premise is that you can shoot through the enemy (to a certain degree) like a Railgun, but also that it will spread damage to surrounding areas. The current version has a few Tac Nuke launchers triggering each other so that one fires "slightly" after the other.

There's alot of triggers to be had yet, this is only mid-stage.

*Kinda* like this.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/723/hellionfire.jpg

Quite lethal at this stage, but sometimes all the rounds detonate at once, and end up just shearing off one section.

Quote:
Smooth out some of the sudden movements with the smaller pieces.

It's looking great so far.


I had to compress the .gif to a reasonable size, that's why the little tidbits on the cannon "jerk out" :? .

Quote:
Ok, just a nooby question here. How do you get to record GIFs of the trigger effects?


/slaps stickies on Rodgun.

Use Shift+F9 in preview mode, set up the frames captured and skip rate, start it and activate your trigger.

------------------------------------------------

It now has a name: Hellion!

Trigger setup so far.

Image

Back is slightly asymmetrical :wink: .

_________________
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:51 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am
Posts: 411
Location: Karona, Fantasinia
It is done. Bump.

The Hellion.

I've sliced up the animated parts so that it's easier to load, and won't bog down your computer on this page. It's runtime is 475 frames between reloads.

The Hellion in it's loaded form.

Image

It's main battle cannon. (x2 Speed)

Image


It's side accelerators, used to accelerate the round at hypersonic speeds. (x2 Speed)

Image


It's round reloading system.

Image


It's round ejecting system.

Image

_________________
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:36 pm 
Offline
Captain
Captain

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:57 am
Posts: 355
Location: Thin air
My only issue with the animations of the main cannon firing is that when the cannon expends a used shell, it seems to come out too slowly. If you could speed the shell casing animation, and maybe change it slightly so that it comes out rotating a bit, it would look a lot more realistic.

Apart from that, no problems with the ship or its weapon animations.

_________________
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 pm 
Offline
BANNED

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:35 am
Posts: 100
Location: Recon mission in Galaxy NGC-276 "Canmus", sector 4.
looks great, but i need to see it on the battleground :D

_________________
I was banned for bandodging.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:05 am 
Offline
Admiral
Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 am
Posts: 1978
This is great LT. Its a beautiful use of triggers, and even more rare for pushing to their full potential. The doodads look great and the loading and ejection system is brilliant! I admire the dedication to get something like that working. I agree with Bentusi however, that now I have the slightly irrational urge to see it flinging hypersonic nuclear rounds at my ship :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:27 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am
Posts: 411
Location: Karona, Fantasinia
Imaillusion wrote:
My only issue with the animations of the main cannon firing is that when the cannon expends a used shell, it seems to come out too slowly. If you could speed the shell casing animation, and maybe change it slightly so that it comes out rotating a bit, it would look a lot more realistic.

Apart from that, no problems with the ship or its weapon animations.


Yeah, i've been working on a system for that, but the only problem is that the triggers cannot activate alpha shading, movement, and rotation at the same time. Would be awesome tho. The current remedy I have for this is an asymmetrical mirrored system, where the "casing" is parented to a small sprite on the opposite side, which moves to flings the projectile out. However, rotating it is a whole another problem, as the rotated section has be be directly underneath that round, or it'll be just swinging it around. I've comtemplated making a 0 size sprite, but once I set it... I can't fix it without deleting it's parent sprite :| . And it can't fade away either :| . If anyone has suggestions, i'll gladly implement it, as it irks me too.

jwa8402 wrote:
This is great LT. Its a beautiful use of triggers, and even more rare for pushing to their full potential. The doodads look great and the loading and ejection system is brilliant! I admire the dedication to get something like that working. I agree with Bentusi however, that now I have the slightly irrational urge to see it flinging hypersonic nuclear rounds at my ship


Bentusi wrote:
looks great, but i need to see it on the battleground


Thanks for the comments and praise guys :D . I'm working on ironing out the kinks in the firing system so it gives the "lancing" effect i've described, as well as making sure the sprites are in the proper directories when I release it. Partially because the weapons sprites on my previous fleet release had bad sprite directories...Sorry Arcalane!

_________________
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:27 am 
Offline
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:34 am
Posts: 1270
Location: Halifax, Canada
Your problem with the rotating section can be easily fixed using one of three methods.
1) Colour the section black and make it really tiny small. It won't be perfect but at that size it doesn't matter much.
2) Make it size 0, then open the sb4 with notepad and change its size for selecting. I have no idea if it works, and I don't really recommend it anyway.
3) Use eri's method for fin fannels. Make a sprite that you can recognize easily and name it something (eg. rotatrix). Then make a sprite that's completely black and give it another name (eg. rotatrix2). Then drag in rotatrix to act as the placeholder and finish the ship. When you're done, go into custom sprites and swap their names, so the black one becomes rotatrix and the other one becomes rotatrix2. Or you can simply get his knights of the baseline ships and sprites, there's less chance of me being wrong if you use his sections.

On another note, since you like working with triggers, you should probably check out eri's fin fannels, they're pretty simple to reverse engineer and understand once you realize the trick with the invisible section cognull (which took me a while - should have read through his post fully), and very impressive, but they take bloody forever to put together since clone group doesn't save triggers and each reopening in sm forgets some.

_________________
My Random Very Old Ships, Fleets, and Links to Other Ships and Fleets
My (Not Particularly) New Ships
My New Encounters - C&C Wanted


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:22 am 
Offline
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am
Posts: 411
Location: Karona, Fantasinia
Bad Boy wrote:
3) Use eri's method for fin fannels. Make a sprite that you can recognize easily and name it something (eg. rotatrix). Then make a sprite that's completely black and give it another name (eg. rotatrix2). Then drag in rotatrix to act as the placeholder and finish the ship. When you're done, go into custom sprites and swap their names, so the black one becomes rotatrix and the other one becomes rotatrix2. Or you can simply get his knights of the baseline ships and sprites, there's less chance of me being wrong if you use his sections.

On another note, since you like working with triggers, you should probably check out eri's fin fannels, they're pretty simple to reverse engineer and understand once you realize the trick with the invisible section cognull (which took me a while - should have read through his post fully), and very impressive, but they take bloody forever to put together since clone group doesn't save triggers and each reopening in sm forgets some.


Ah, thanks for the help! I've used Eri's system of swapping out sprites and it works well. Eri's system of Fin Fannels however, still stump me :| .

Here's the revised ejection!
Image

And the download! Sprite dump included.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/Hellion.zip

The Hellion operates as a long-range artillery, so it has minimal PD and close-range weaponry.

_________________
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:55 pm 
Offline
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:34 am
Posts: 1270
Location: Halifax, Canada
I'm glad it worked out, and it looks a lot better. It might also look good if you prolong the animation and have the thing spin a couple of full circles, but I suppose that'd make it more vulnerable.

The fin fannels aren't that hard to figure out once you replace the invisible sections with ones you can see. It's just a matter of moving things around until they're in order, then figuring how they connect.
Expanding on it though, is a lot more difficult. To do that, you have to actually understand it, and be able to make it better.
I tried, but gave up when the movement wasn't getting any more natural then the originals.

_________________
My Random Very Old Ships, Fleets, and Links to Other Ships and Fleets
My (Not Particularly) New Ships
My New Encounters - C&C Wanted


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group