Dwarf Fortress- A Wyrdysm Bloodline Game

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

And so it begins. The epic of the Word of Symmetry, often shortened to WordofSym, as they strive to build a home worthy of dwarves, and mark their place in history.

YEAR 1- "Inteuniso" Memadbomrek

Early Spring at Brandedsword

"They asked for volunteers. Not having much of a future in the Mountainhome, I decided to go. We were given a wagon well-laden with supplies. The Mountainhome must really want us to succeed."

"We travel to the place known as Zedastot, Brandedsword. It is supposed to be rich in stone, metal, and wood. In short, a perfect place to start an outpost. However, I haven't seen any volcanoes, so I'm wondering if the reports were right. I probably won't find out, judging that I'll just have to rule for a year."

So many dogs. I swear, we could rip apart a goblin siege with them.

Hmm... a cat has seemed to have taken a liking to me. She's actually kind of funny at times, and she does get rid of a lot of vermin.

Those damned kobolds. They stole our axe. Looks like the tower-caps we have are all we got 'till we get a new axe, or some more wood from some caravans.

Only to make the situation worse, Tholtig drowned. The ice cracked under her as she was walking across it. She never stood a chance after all those plump helmet biscuits she ate during the trip.

These cats love me. I have no idea why. Damned furballs, rolling around, doing nothing but stinking up my outpost with remains of their kills.

For want of farmspace, I decided to drain the nearby pool to irrigate the farmland. It was a complete success.

Derekiv is badly hurt. Her Right upper arm was badly mangled, and her left upper leg is broken. Hopefully she will recover soon.

(@ Derekiv, sorry about you not being a male miner. I had already started playing before you had posted. Don't worry, before you were badly mauled by a wolf, you were a pretty badass outdoorsdwarf.)

By mid-summer, although we only have 5 dwarves working at the moment, have built up about 9000 wealth.

Wonderful! We discovered native aluminum! The lightest metal known to dwarfdom, this will be extremely helpful making metal crafts.

Those elf-conspiring wagons... for some reason, the wagons are unable to make it to our depot. I have no idea why either. I'm sure I'll figure it out later.

The Mountainhome seems to be in short supply of short swords... which is odd, because it is such an undwarvenly weapon. No matter, we have large amounts of obsidian, and I smell MOAR DWARVEN CHEESE. They also demand lots of armor.

So. Many. Cats. Love. Me.

My final season commanding this outpost has arrived. It is a bitter winter, and the brook ices over.

We finally figured out why the wagons couldn't get in. Giant boulders were blocking the way in, and wagon-wheels would have been smashed trying to get in. Wagons can get in the depot now.

We also have a wall and bridge set up, to make sure it's harder to get into the outpost. No damned thieves shall get in here now.

Winter was rather uneventful though. Some minor housekeeping, but that's about it.

And with that,

Here are the records for the next dwarf to lead this outpost.

And a final view of the outpost:

I go back to my main passion: Striking the earth!

Brandedsword: Year 2- Early spring
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

Rule added: You are allowed a 3-day max timespan, from the previous person's turn, to take your turn. I believe that is sufficient enough time. PM me if RL requires an extension though.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I woke up with a splitting pain in my arm. All I remembered was getting drunk and someone daring me to go take down a wolf for dinner. I must have been really

drunk. I mean, you need groups of hunters to take down wolves! Aparrently, someone made me leader while I was out cold, and now I have to manage this

place. At least they got the farms going.

But they had the miners hauling stuff around the fortress! They hadn't even dug a moat yet! I also noticed that we had two entrances to the fort. One, the

retractable bridge was quite defensible. The other, a channel to the well, was safe in all but the winter. So I immediatly set the workers to wall ofg the whole in

the wall. Note to future rulers, don't fill the moat with water or it will freeze in the winter.

One thing I have to ask the previous administrator: WHY DO WE HAVE SO MANY DOGS!!! We have over 30 dogs!

The elves arrived. I traded 3 stone goods for some sunberries. Right after the elves left we got some migrants.
I decided to start a metal smithing industry, but we don't have an ANVIL! ARG!!!
How can we create armor? In honor of the lack of anvils, they decided to through a party. I told them to stop. They did.
I also set about correcting the mess of workshops in our entryway.

The partiers are persistant:

I also told the pansy noble to keep better track of the records. That way, I know if we are running low on booze.
I got one of the immagrant jewlers to set up a workshop to carve some gems to trade for an anvil when the dwarven caravan arrives.
Our butcher has become possesed. Hopefully, he'll make something worth more than an anvil.
He went for a craftdwarves shop. He grabs a piece of obsidian and a nugget of copper and gets down to buisness.

I told another of the immigrants to start training the dogs into war animals. No more useless dogs!
The crazy butcher finally finished. It turns out to be an obsidian crown, Grottoround.
Unfourtunatley, he doesn't remember any of making it so he goes back to being a butcher. Wait a sec! A butcher! Muhahaha. Come here little puppies!
Tonight we feast on dog meat roasts!

The humans have arrived!!!
They brought with them tons of meat and an ANVIL!!! I of course got all of this in exchange for some paltry stone crafts. I asked the Guild Repersentatives for

meat and precious metal bars. They want idols and handwear.

Thieves!

In total 5 arrived, and 2 left with nothing to show for their raid.
Olon the metalsmith has been possessed. He is using 3 copper bars.

He made a really great mace.
I'm getting around to keeping the cats under control. I ordered the construction of a cage in the dining hall to hold them.

The dwarven caravan has arrived! Finally, our brothers from the mountainhomes grace our halls. The privelage does not lessen my desire to rob them blind with worthless stone crafts. Yeah for capatilism and the laws of supply and demand! Nobody else must make these darn things!

They obvious lack a bit of sanity, as they are driving unnecassarily through the brook. Of the caravan, I only requested steel because WE HAVE NO IRON ON THE MAP. I MEAN NONE. ANYWHERE! What the hell where the prospectors thinking! Once again, ARG!!!

AMBUSH!! Perfect timing, the caravan shall make short work of them!
Caravan kills 6 goblins and loses one axedwarf.
Then another ambush out inside the outer moat. The pore woodcutter who was abushed, Tun, was stuck down by goblin swordsman. War dogs take down a

goblin and all of the other goblins fleed in horror. After further review, it turns out they took down at least one goblin and ripped off the arm of another.
As a result of this, I am asigning all of the woodcutters five guard dogs.

More Migrants have arrived!!! Only thing useful we got was a tanner. We got two fish dissectors and zero fisherdwarves! Not much use. For now, they will be

haulers. And we got a bowyer. I believe he is an elven sympathazer, for real dwarves would make their crossbows out of iron!
something I just noticed. WE HAVE NO BARRACKS! I will take it upon myself to start a military and safegaurd our halls. I have also started to make better

rooms for our breathern. I have yet to assign them, but they have been made.
Praise the miners we struck adamantine*cough*, i mean galena. Still is a pretty good haul.

Another theif ran into the war dogs. He died.
Make that two. This one managed to hurt a war dogs head.

The hills to the far northwest and the east are starting to bug me. I have decided to remove them.
And I retract my previous statement about the well be a weakness. Apparently, only half the brook freezes. Who'd of thunk? :/
We now have 37 war dogs. :D

Some rhesus macaques have slowed down the production of wood. The wardogs decided they needed to be taught a lesson. The wardogs won.
Who wants monkey blood slushies?
The monkeys discovered a thief who then ran away.
You know the statement I previously retracted? Well, I retract retracting it. Turns out the lower half freezes later than the upper half. Thermodynamics is wierd...

One of the kittens designated for slaughter has taken refuge among the monkeys.

It turns out one of the wardogs lost an eye somewhere along the way. He is Silverware's pet.
I have succesfully removed one of the hills.
The dwarven liason is still here. :|
They wamt tanned hides, wooden idols, waterskins and anvils.
The gemcutter has given birth to a girl!
[girl]
A carpenter has claimed the carpenters shop.
He appears to be using a log, 2 blocks of native aluminum and a block of alunite.

There appears to be a tree floating where the old eastern hill used to be. Physics is wierd.
Apparently, someone killed a cougar when I wasn't looking...
The carpenter made a badass animal trap.
He is now a legendary carpenter.

All our dogs are now wardogs, which brings their numbers up to 55.
In my hill clearing project I found some aluminum.
There is another darn floating tree by the Northeastern hill...
I have become an Axelord!
And those annoying hills are gone!

Well it seems my riegn is at an end. I managed to create housing for the majority of the dwarves, and tombs for the dead.
I have created a tomb for myself, which my succesors better not touch.
I have stream-lined some production, and started a metal industry and the militray.
I anyone could get me to pick up the artifact mace, that would be excellent.
Remember to put kittens and puppies in the cage until they come of age. Then slaughter the cats and train the dogs.
The right had lever controls the outer gate.
I will spend the rest of my days gaurding these halls with my steel axe in hand and my dog pack at my side.

Save: http://filesmelt.com/dl/broadswords203.zip
Last edited by derekiv on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Oh, and the next administrator should rope some dogs at the outer gate.
And I asked to be a miner in my first post. But its alright, I'm fine being an axelord. I also made ponds high traffic areas to prevent anymore "accidents".
I will now go to sleep after play DF until 1:30 in the morning. Night to everyone.
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

This is the Three-day limit. If silverware doesn't get back, you'll take the helm Dyjeccu.
Dyjeccu
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dyjeccu »

Go go gadget silverware!
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

I am going Im in mid winter, and will have it ready for the next person really soon.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Yeah! So we don't need to kill you off in game!
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

Alright Silverware, either you post it today or Dyjeccu gets his turn. I would not like my creation to fizz out.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Take the turn, ive lost half of my stuff i wrote down, through forgetting to save or something crashing ive forgotten.
I wasn't doing too well in it anyway.
Dyjeccu
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dyjeccu »

File TE014, supplemental addendum: The Zedastot incident

The following excerpts from the personal journal of Kel 'Dyjeccu' Koganekur are included in this report as a matter of support to this investigation's major focus. It is this researcher's opinion that Koganekur did little to influence the momentum gathering toward the later 'Brandedsword disaster'.

--

28 Obsidian, 202

New years' eve. I am getting much closer to producing a superior ale. After few more test barrels and I am certain I can convince Monom to build more sills.. I know, one day, Brandedsword can be the next Great Brewery.

1 Granite 203

There is a hole in my garden roof. Goblins could jump down or shoot me while I gather mushrooms! Worse, when I asked Derikov who's bright idea this inner-moat was, she decidedly gave me her office. The to-do list explains why..

our fort is in rough shape: We have no sheriff, no protection from archers or flying things, the fields are barren without seed, our metalworks are disrupting the quiet in the sleeping quarters, the remaining industry is crowding our entry hall, there are no water reserves in the winter, everyone complains that most of their day is spent in transit..nothing is located near where it is needed, our clothing is wearing out.. the list went on and on.. yet the final remark was worst - our booze is dangerously low!

Something must be done.

14 Granite
Goblin raid yesterday. The three rangers were harvesting lumber outside our defenses, and were caught unprepared.
Silverware was nearby and rushed to the fight. His charge crippled one and distracted the others, giving the rangers time to fall back with him to the gates. After Derikov's dwarves finished the green-skins, Silver was hailed a hero. Some dogs were lost.

Slate 2

The metalsmith Sibrek began acting strangely. New seeds have been found and crops replanted.. the vulnerable section will be closed off soon. Silverware was hiding wounds from the ambush.. he has been sent to his room for rest. Our mayor has convinced some miners to begin building him better quarters. The complaint box is overflowing.

Felsite 16

Sibrek gather our best samples of aluminum and crafted Vuzdedvir! Also, 16 migrants arrived today.. mostly unskilled surfs, who I either sent away to haul stone or gave to Derikov for martial training. Silverware is refusing care. I need to get back to my brewery.

Felsite 18

We mourn today, as Silverware has passed on. The stonecrafters are busy now, carving a crypt for our hero.

14 Malacite

Some eight more migrants arrived today. Fortification continues, adding bulwarks and parapets for our soon-to-be marksdwarf squad.
More mouths consuming, I am only keeping up with their need of drink.. must expand brewery.

19 Malacite

Another goblin raid. This time we were ready, and dispatched them all with no serious injuries returned.

Galena 9

The Human caravan came again. We bought everything they brought in exchange for some goblin clothing. Odd ones, those humans.
The miners have dug out holes for the plebeians to sleep, who were happy to move out of the barracks and have some personal space. Also, our cistern is almost complete.
Some industry has moved underground, while the metalworks has been relocated away from the sleeping area.

Sandstone 10

Training, bloody, continues.
The Mountainhome caravan arrived with iron and wood supplies, along with exotic meats and seed.
Six immigrants arrived with the caravan. This time, including another brewer and ranger.
I have forgotten some of my recipes.. I need to get out of this office.

Moonstone 22

B*mbul retreated today, to their workshop. Also the outer gate is nearing completion. The jail is complete, but only two of the military volunteered for guard duty.. I will have to speak to Derikov.
What was that I wanted to try with the ale now?

--

I step back, and look at the fort- It looks much like how it was when I started this, even with some of the same problems. Future leaders should continue arming, armoring, and training the militants.

Finally, a 3d view of the outer and inner gates

Overview
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad14 ... -204-1.png
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad14 ... 3-204-.png

http://filesmelt.com/dl/broadswords204.rar
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

So, who's next?(Unfortunately, not me. My laptop has been sent in for repairs)
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Hey what? 3D!? If you can play in that mode, I'll pick DF up (I've never played before so it'd probably be good to actually learn how to play before doing this). Also you have a nice normal "tileset" too.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The tileset is DFG and that's Stonesense being used for the visualizing. Can't use it for input though.
Dyjeccu
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dyjeccu »

I am not old school.. I find tiles sets are more pleasing to stare at ;)

Stonesense, though, is real-time. This is my first try at it (Previously used 3Dwarf), and I have considered as it an application for a second monitor.