Rugdumph's ships from Anoob to Zeepresent - Download pg3

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

dgms17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgms17 »

The first ship looks like a Hestia skeleton. It worked out pretty good though.
I think the glowing parts are fine, but do you know what thrusters are?
I know I should first get the log out of my own eye before putting it into someone else's.

For instance: I should change my signature.
Bomen zijn relax
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

How do you mean? As in the module?
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
dgms17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgms17 »

Yes, I meant the module. I didn't mean your glowing sections don't look fine, but with thrusters you also get a nice effect.
I know I should first get the log out of my own eye before putting it into someone else's.

For instance: I should change my signature.
Bomen zijn relax
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ok yeah thanks, i shall have an experiment with them soon, just waiting till i can actually stop and think about ships rather than just ploughing through.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
HamanoKinji
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by HamanoKinji »

after seeing your ships...

i felt both inspired and discouraged...

inspired because your ships are... *WHOA*

dicouraged because compared to the ones i made...

mine is far away from yours... looks like i'll be trying out new ships this Christmas vacation....

keep up the good... i mean fantastically great work... you inspired me... and discouraged me... T_T
[img]http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o414/valkyrion22/Pivots/Signature.png[/img]
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Hmm ok well i've been messing around more with the stock style sections some more, and to be honest are not great, partly since they're all too white from me changing my default colour for reasons evident at the end of this post. Anyway cut to the chase...

Now traditionally i'd inform you all to what on earth i was thinking whilst building each abomination but since this post is plenty long enough to actually reach you physically i'll be general.
In many i've experimented with using combinations of sections to create weapons.
All show no real sign of improvement in sectioning, some are worse than before.
I've been too lazy to colour all of them but may do since i like a few of them as concepts and would like to tidy them up.
And as you can see i lost the will to glow.

Now for an explanation on the whole whiteness. I finally unpacked all the SW sprite .rar's i'd got and started a ship, however to get the standard colours to look 'normal' i decided the best course of action was to whitewash. Bad side effect of ruining stock style ships by been very unflattering in clashing unrotated/unresized sections with rotated/resized sections. Anyway hope this first result of me + ahelluvalot of SW sprites = worn out finger from clicking through many many sprites, is worth it.

And yes i did try to depth colour this one, but i doubt it's a great example of the technique. Anyway i've wasted enough of your precious time with this post/chapter/tome, and wish you all a merry christmas and a happy new year :)
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

that last one is very nice color wise, shape...its a little bland. some of the prior ones look really nice. the fourth one does look a little fragile however.
naysayers will be shot
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

Ship feathers...

you sir, have drawn a "wooow" out of me at 4:21am working on some stupid project when its the 31st of December, and the likelyhood of me getting a 0 on this so high and the pressure mounting and the lack of sleep for the past 2 weeks, with no Xmas to have enjoyed with family...

That is no easy feat.

Now that just inspired me to boot up BSF's ship maker again. :)
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Just thought i'd show you show wip's i've been working on.

And here's an armed version of my first SW ship from the previous post.

It has 2 megabeamers, 2 torpedoes, and 4 point defence guns. Altered the arcs to my liking of course. Will have more info on ships when i've actually finished them, since i've decided since i've switched to SW i'll actually fully finish all my ships with colour and armoury and stats so they're not all hestias ingame lol.

Edit: One more old style ship.

I didn't post this originally cause i felt it just looked too bad even by some of my standards, but decided it deserve to be shown just cause of it's two huge ass turrets i put together which are about the size of a ship themselves. Oh and btw none of the weapons i've made out of multiple sections i have made into single sprites but i'm very tempted to soon since merging sections would be very simple even in mspaint and it'd just be cool to have my own custom weapon sprites. But could someone tell me about how BSF and the SM really for that matter work out where the bullets start etc? I know that question is the wrong topic for this forum really so i may properly ask it in the relevant place.

And Happy New Year to all!!

Edit again: Kind of a fighter type ship i just made cause i was bored although it's too big to be a fighter really unless everything so far is a destroyer lol.

InkFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InkFox »

Your work is... interesting.
Interesting in the sense I"m not sure if I'm using the word in a good way or a bad way :S

I'm not commenting on the majority of your ships because I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they need, so more on that later.

I really like your engine work on the fourth ship, nothing short of splendid.

For your armed ship (and I think this'll help with your 'where the bullets start' question) you're doing it wrong.
when you've set up sprites to make them look like weapons (the two large protruding sections out the front) you don't need to add the picture of the weapon on the end, it looks a little weird. Instead place the weapons right where you want the bullet to start and then go to the edit panel (right side of the pallet bar). From there set the alpha to 0 and viola! it becomes invisible. Then it just looks like the bullets are coming right out of the section.
If your need them to be able to turn, well look up the 'turret' guides they're bound to be here somewhere (I'll edit post when I find 'em).

To end on a good note: my god! those big ass turrets were definitely worth posting. With your talent for weapon-section building and learning to make them function well you'll certainly have something worthy of intense praise on your hands.

All in all I think your SW work, even though it needs some dusting is better than your non-sw; de-cluttering and helping the different section styles flow better are the only things I can see that need improvment.
And so I curiously venture into the world of shipbuilding, unsure of what I might find...
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Your engines on most of the sw ships are very nice, you should keep doing that part. Alot of clutter otherwise, made worse by lack of distinctive shading or coloring, but some of the shapes did make me blink. As for the weapons, you can also just set the weapon's skin as the section...Sometimes that requires making a copy of the section to edit though, so its facing the right way.
Beta_krogoth
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Beta_krogoth »

You've got some very nice ships here, Your not a noob - change the title. My fav ship was the "Glass Armour" ship, i love glass armour and i love glows :D Really nice job.
"If I was trying to chase you off the forum, you'd already be gone." Anna.

:O Epic Mods of teh win!
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Thank you all, the praise/criticism/advice has all been fab. Although my creative side is still not giving way so i can actually make some ships actually usable in game or etc

Edit: I tried and failed to change the title :S
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Shaded version of big engine ship

And it in the sandbox with various new ships

Using an idea i found in the metagame 2 discussion the bottom left one has a slow rotating modular shield, which uses 8 shrunk partial shields.
Middle left is meant to be also used in atmospheric conditions as a dropship (hence the propeller/fan looking things, which do spin nicely by the way) but also has 6 ship deployers on the rear sides which launch the tiny purple things in the middle which are a slightly stretched bullet sprite which i thought looked the part, each armed with an mgun and a pointgun.
The top four are simply experiments in shape and size.

Edit: Ok i've made a couple more ships...

First up -

A ship which i would like to name since i like it lol. Basically it has a fixed sabot cannon which is boosted by the sensor array on the opposite side. Four vulcans which are semi-fixed but still have some degree of movement 2 forwards 2 backwards, with pointbeamers in between. however the two forward sections could house multiple larger weaponry, and the pointbeamer position could be any turret and the vulcans any smaller weaponry. and so several classes could spawn from one.

And now to the fun part :)

Yup tall ships, sail ships, pirate ships, whatever you want to call them. I really wanted to make an accurately built man o' war HMS Victory style from the keel up but the layering became a headache before the first deck.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ok, some more development in my semi-modular-destroyer/frigate-thing!!

This is the basic hull i have nicked off the earlier ship.

First new loadout, a pair of particle rifles, quadruplet of gatling blasters, and two normal hestia like deflectors.

Second new loadout, a pair of mini missile launchers, four beamers, two gluon bolters.

Third, a shock beamer, pair of minibeams, four low power low penetration railguns, and my personal favourite, the brand new Rugdumph Industries Hoplon Shield! :) ok it's just a blocky bit with two curvy bits which are aegised. However unlike a aegis spam ship doesn't mess up the ai since i've found during weapon balancing testing which i laboured over for three hours, is that under sustained fire the parent support of the shield still takes some damage through the aegis of the other sections :). Ok it doesn't sound that great but whatever.

Finally the whole lot so far out on patrol/cruise/joy-ride/etc

I'm not shading these grayscale just yet since i'm going to experiment with finding me some fleet colours since i may build on these, since they seem to be my best foundations so far.