Rugdumph's ships from Anoob to Zeepresent - Download pg3

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Rugdumph's ships from Anoob to Zeepresent - Download pg3

Post by Rugdumph »

Hey, brand new to the community, and have just got loads of custom sprites so i thought i'd have a go at making some ships for some friendly c&c :D

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13 ... 1259946327

Hmm might as well give you guys some info on these i guess.
Top right was my 'first' ship (i've actually made tons in the week i've had bsf but had sb3 so having problems using them in sb4 cause of different sprite names) and yes they are gigantic railguns with pistons :D, no idea what possessed my to do that.
Top left and bottom left are my firs attempts with additive shading.
Far bottom is some sort of heavy freighter.
Bottom right is a radar ship with turning radar dishes and gigantic wwii bren gun type things on the front.

Btw, in no way are these finished products, obvs i haven't coloured them yet, they are also mostly unarmed, but otherwise i'm happy for yous to lay into me all you want :D.

Edit: I'd of liked to of posted the picture straight into this but simply copying and pasting the image just gets the link again. I know it can be done since i've seen pictures in posts all over the forum so i'd like to ask also for a little help in that matter if it's not too much trouble to ask :) thank you!
Last edited by Rugdumph on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

These are really interesting ships!~ Could use some better sectionwork but I like what you were trying to do. For the images, since youru sing photobucket, your clicking on the direct link to copy but you want the IMG code. If you click on the picture thre will be four codes on the left side. It basically puts [IMG] around it
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Thank you Raul! ok here's the ships directly

Yeah i kinda know what you mean about the sections but i'm still in the phase where i keep on adding sections till i see something i like, so maybe my next batch will be tidier :)
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

The top left one has some nice glowing effects at the rear.

In fact, I spot clever and effective use of subtle glows and colours across your ships.

Bravo, now just spiff up some section work.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Indeed, glows are nicely done.
Same can't be said about sectionwork though. Too much repetition especially on that one with the...weird candle-flame thingamajiggers.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

I'll be the first to admit to do tend to use the 'm' button too many times. I think i know what you mean Droid, i try to use different sections for the body of that one, but end up using, what, about 3 or 4? sections for all the details :S oh well, i can always revise them, as i said they're not finished so i'll take all advice onboard :)
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ok, here's some more ships i almost literally threw together. I think the xmas cheer is starting to get to me since 3 of them look like they've been attacked by a pack of fairy lights lol.

Again i'll add a little info. Top left is spawned from me having a thought about 'glass armour' in games like oblivion, and then ridiculously jumping topic onto what would a glass ship look like? However i clearly made a glass xmas tree instead lol.
Top right is the one i'm most proud of since i think i may of made a slight improvement to my sectioning work, and i kinda had inspiration from a squid, hence tentalce like things, of which instead of suckers have spinning cogs from kae's steam sprites with a gluon bolter on each, so when it fires there's lots of spinning :D
Bottom left just came from nowhere, and apparently has a huge plasma reactor or something :S
Bottom right...well...kinda speaks for itself...

Edit: when i say 'glass' i basically accidentally turned a normal sprite additive and thought oooooooo
Last edited by Rugdumph on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Remind me, how long have you been doing this?
These are fantastic. Weird how my least favorite is the top right, the arms seem to thin...i think it might look better if you ditched them altogether.

Just my opinion though, once again, great work
naysayers will be shot
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Yeah i do agree about the arms on that one, i kinda got carried away, i might try bulking them up, if it just makes it ugly i'll scrap them.
And how long... without trying to sound arrogant...2-3 weeks :S, but i got an old version and loved the shipbuilder so much without knowing this community even existed made about 50 ships in the first week with the stock parts, obvs most were dire. And i guess i've always liked stuff like this, e.g. on oblivion i made many many characters, of which only two i think got past level 5 lol. I love to create things, what can i say.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

These are damned impressive just for the glows and thought put into the designs. Would love to see alittle shaidng on them. you ever watch anime called glass fleet? they have glass armor. the assymetircal one is aweome, steampunk really eneds to be converted to tsa style
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

I did try some colouring once on the first new one i did but cause of using custom colours when i opened it up again it'd all gone horribly garish with the original colour list :S. I'll try to at least upload a screeny of some shaded/coloured ones even if i can't get them to stay that way. Steampunk is my fav sprite set i think, want to make maybe a steam powered spaceship? *prepares to have guts ripped out by adamant 'realistics'* lol
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ok, colours!

I'm not really happy with this but it could of being worse. Also i've sorted out the problem i was having with make colours stay when reloading the ship so i can edit from this instead of redoing the whole thing *phew*.
Will colour more soon. :)

Edit: Thought it better just to edit this post rather than to triple post...more of my failed colouring

btw still having a few issues when spawning ships in the sandbox with colours changing to the first three default colours, forgot to leave those ones alone :S whoops
dgms17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgms17 »

Those are very good; I wish I had such imagination! I think they were prettier in purple, but that’s my opinion. I especially like the third ship. It begins to look more and more like an art class, but I think it’s beautiful anyway.
I know I should first get the log out of my own eye before putting it into someone else's.

For instance: I should change my signature.
Bomen zijn relax
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

These are some of the finest examples of glows I have seen.

I urge you to spare some energy into developing your skills to avoid some section repetition seen in the nonglowing parts of your ships.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ok squishy, tried to slow down my sectioning and actually think about a ship for a change, and also tried more shading...

Unfortunately i forgot to save the last ship before exiting sb, which i would of liked to of tried a different colour scheme on with faaaaaarrrrr less saturation, since i basically picked most from the default list :S.

Edit: One more since i just didn't stop

And yeah these are all a fair bit smaller than my earlier specimens, however i thought thinking out sections would be easier if there was less of them :S dunno how well it's worked.