System/Planet Specifications

Discussion for the Next Big Thing, which is purely theoretical.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Something tells me that needs more brackets.

My ideas were;

Code: Select all

((Base Tax Income per Unit of Population × Population) × Tax Rate Modifier) × Morale %
Morale is of course measured as 0-1, so 50% morale is 0.5 for the purposes of tax income. It's quite possible for morale to exceed 100%, and it could even theoretically exceed 125% in special circumstances.

and

(Base Mining Income × Resource Level) × Mining Rate
The latter is largely unaffected by morale due to automation, though it may have a limited effect. We'll see how the tax numbers work out.

The thing is, the planet quality/conditions themselves do not really change anything beyond the amount of population and the max possible morale, because it just represents the planet itself, not any infrastructure provided.

~~

Tax Rate:
Extreme (125% Tax Income, -35/-15% Max Morale, -10% Morale Per Turn)
Very High (115% Tax Income, -25/-10% Max Morale. -5% Morale Per Turn)
High (110% Tax Income, -20/-5% Max Morale, -2% Morale Per Turn)
Normal (100% Tax Income)
Low (80% Tax Income, +10/+2% Max Morale, +2% Morale per Turn)
Very Low (50% Tax Income, +25/+3% Max Morale, +3% Morale per Turn)
None (0% Tax Income, +50/+5% Max Morale, +5% Morale per Turn)

What does the Morale figure mean? Well, the first number is how much the maximum morale is altered by. The second number is how much the maximum morale is altered by per turn.

So for example if your planet has a max of 100, and you set it to No Taxes, it's new maximum will be 150, but it will take 17 turns to actually reach that maximum - it's effective maximum takes time to increase. This is to prevent "see-sawing" taxes between None and Extreme. On the other hand, it doesn't take long for your effective maximum to drop to match the actual maximum once new, higher taxes go into effect, and morale will steadily drop every turn as well!

Mining Rate:
Extreme (135% Mining Income, -10% Conditions per Turn, -10% Resources per Turn, -2% Morale per Turn)
Very High (125% Mining Income, -7% Conditions per Turn, -7% Resources per Turn, -1% Morale per Turn)
High (115% Mining Income, -4% Conditions per Turn, -4% Resources per Turn)
Normal (100% Mining Income, -2% Resources per Turn)
Low (75% Mining Income, -1% Resources per Turn)
Very Low (50% Mining Income, +2% Max Morale)
None (0% Mining Income, +5% Max Morale)

~~

Some quick examples. System 1, where the morale and max morale drops rapidly, then slows;

((Base Tax Income per Unit of Population × Population) × Tax Rate Modifier) ÷ Morale

((1 × 100) × 100%) × 1) = 100cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 1) = 110cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.95) = 105cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.90) = 99cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.85) = 94cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.80) = 88cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.78) = 86cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.76) = 84cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.74) = 81cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.72) = 79cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.70) = 77cr per turn.
#2, where morale drops at the per turn rate (but will never increase beyond the now-lowered max of course);

((Base Tax Income per Unit of Population × Population) × Tax Rate Modifier) ÷ Morale

((1 × 100) × 100%) × 1) = 100cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 1) = 110cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.98) = 108cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.96) = 106cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.94) = 103cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.92) = 101cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.90) = 99cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.88) = 97cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.86) = 95cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.84) = 92cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.82) = 90cr per turn.

((1 × 100) × 110%) × 0.80) = 88cr per turn.
~~~~~

Most of the above is just notes and rambling and probably needs some solid going over, 'cause I'm definitely not gonna be able to make it reasonable by myself.

Ed:

You need to be signed in to edit it but I've made a googledocs spreadsheet here. The first sheet is an uneditable 'master', second is a duplicate that can be tweaked (only touch the grey boxes!) and you should be able to freely add new sheets to customize at any time.
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

reading through all that, it all looks good. Assuming base tax income is the same for every world,and we keep population to easy numbers. my only fear is if it is possible to get morale to a point where you get more taxes for low then normal. I will go test it a bit later.
Edit: after testing values using those formulas, there is no reason to use anything but normal tax level (since we can choose that),as both lowering and raise 1 level drops income from that 100% tax. only thing that might make the slidifferent levels any good is if the planet had enough of a booster to outset the morale change from the tax level.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

or if other actions besides simply changing the tax level changed the morale level as well.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

another thing we could do, in place of just percents. we could have the percents for each planet's factor, and have and importance constant.
So, to get the effect of morale on income you multiply by imxM which is the importance of morale, a constant, times Morale, a variable. This would allow for easy balancing of the income equations

Another thing to consider is how much credits we get each turn. The more credits produced per turn results in a faster game with larger fleets. Inversely, a smaller amount of credits per turn equals a slower game.
IMO, I think it would be better to have a faster game.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Honestly, I'd just prefer for simplicity's sake that tax and mining rate couldn't be set, and instead was just a function of morale...

Say goodbye to all the problems of messing with calculations and having to set stuff at optimal rates, etc. We don't really need to worry about so much crap. Simple is good!
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Droid wrote:Honestly, I'd just prefer for simplicity's sake that tax and mining rate couldn't be set, and instead was just a function of morale...

Say goodbye to all the problems of messing with calculations and having to set stuff at optimal rates, etc. We don't really need to worry about so much crap. Simple is good!
I agree wholeheartedly.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Ditto. The problem then is how morale is impacted (I'm guessing random events can throw a wrench in things/temporarily buff it) by standard events. Presumably, losing a battle reduces morale, winning increases, and so on and so forth.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

I'd compromise and let players set taxes, but keep it simple.

ie, the player can set takes high/normal/low, and doing that sets your morale lower/normal/higher. Obviously, if your planetary conditions are good you can set your taxes higher, and the morale bonus you get for having your people live in a nice place can offset the penalty. But yeah, keep it as simple as possible but let players have a little control. If it's too much for people, they can just leave their tax level at normal and not worry about it. Obviously, the rest of the morale conumdrum is solved by simple RP and events - if you're doing really awesome then your people will be super pleased, do shitty and they'll hate you.

Mining rate I agree should just be a function of morale. If you tax your miners too hard they'll get bummed and strike/get lazy.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]