Kaelis' Section Factory

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

userpay
Ensign
Ensign

Post by userpay »

Kaelis wrote:ALIEN-SHIPWRIGHT PACK
http://blaise-studio.com/kaelis/bsf/Kae_aln-sw.rar
Put them into Kae_aln-sw directory.
Um I knowticed something, in the first post where all the link and where to put them are you have Kae_msc-sw instade of Kae_aln-sw. Other than that I'm looking forward to this, but mayhap upload a file that has all of them?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Heres a preview for the next section pack i am currently working on.

Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Looks like some sort of combination of mecha and your new generic. I'm not sure I like it, at least not when it's used for the entire ship, cause it seems to suffer from the same problem as the new generic sections.
Still, I'm sure it'll look good used with other sections. Keep up the good work.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Bad Boy wrote:I'm not sure I like it, at least not when it's used for the entire ship
Well of course, its never a good idea to make a ship out of a single section pack only. Its meant to show the sections, not to be a good ship.
Bad Boy wrote:cause it seems to suffer from the same problem as the new generic sections.
What problem?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Kaelis wrote:Well of course, its never a good idea to make a ship out of a single section pack only. Its meant to show the sections, not to be a good ship.
Yeah, fair enough. I shouldn't really judge the sections by the ship.
Kaelis wrote:What problem?
Unlike most of the other section packs, which can be used alone to decent effect, the new generic ones (and these) end up looking messy and unpleasant when used for the whole ship.
Anyway, I'm still looking forward to a release, I'm sure they'll work well when used properly.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Bad Boy wrote:Unlike most of the other section packs, which can be used alone to decent effect, the new generic ones (and these) end up looking messy and unpleasant when used for the whole ship.
Thats... kind of the idea, you know. I think ive already indicated a few times that they are not meant to be used like that.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I know, I was just explaining what the 'problem' was. I didn't expect to have to go into detail like that.
Anyway, I look forward to these sections being released (although I haven't built anything in ages).
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Looks good, but I would like some more sections with depth, like the original Kae_mechasw. Deep grooves in the sections, differentiated shades, little details. There is no need for low-detail sections, to be perfectly honest.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Finally, some feedback.

What do you mean by 'more sections with depth' and 'differentiated shades', exactly?
Cycerin wrote:There is no need for low-detail sections, to be perfectly honest.
Ah... good thing you mention this, i keep thinking that my sections and resultant ships are too cluttered and that i should make less detailed sections...
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

These new low-detail sections of yours actually look even more cluttered in practice. They're just... not sexy, man.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Most of your mecha sections are drawn so that some parts appear to be deeper in the depth field than others. Why are you not following up on that?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Cycerin wrote:Most of your mecha sections are drawn so that some parts appear to be deeper in the depth field than others. Why are you not following up on that?
I am, actually. Apart from a bit less linework, the workflow for these new sections is pretty much the same as for the first mecha pack. Perhaps its the poor section arrangement/colorwork on the ship that makes you think its the opposite.

EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

No. These sections are still pretty flat.

That's it, I'm going to start my own sectionpack.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

EriErin wrote:No. These sections are still pretty flat.

That's it, I'm going to start my own sectionpack.
Dude. Either give valid feedback or stop whining.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

He did. He said that he thought they were too flat.

I, for one, while I like them, think they could be improved by making the dark areas a little darker, and/or by adding detail lines.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]