Prototype Build (Download Here)

I'm making a game over the holidays. Come play it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Prototype Build (Download Here)

Post by Lukasmah »

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

If there are no means of doing so, how about this:

Treat existing weapons that are renamed to something as other weapons when converting to .json. Would that be hard to make? Would it work?
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

I played a good chunk of v1.0.0.11 earlier - had a go with each ship type, explored most of the systems.

Didn't encounter any errors or noticeable glitches (aside from one ship parenting issue I posted about in the Prototype Enemy Ship Designs thread) - impressive.

Gameplay works well, was quite fun until my ship became extremely overpowered :P
The progression system is interesting. Are the extra weapon types obtained through alien pods implemented already? (asking because I haven't found any so far - plenty of pods, but none that grant new weapons) EDIT: That'd be right, just found one in one of the last few systems.

Performance is fine - stable 30fps 99% of the time. Would a higher target framerate be possible?
Graphics have a few nice improvements over BSF. The widescreen resolution makes fullscreen gameplay a bit better (on widescreen displays, at least). Would it be possible for the game to run at different resolutions?

Sound effects are pretty good - those explosions :D
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

M123 wrote:I played a good chunk of v1.0.0.11 earlier - had a go with each ship type, explored most of the systems.

Didn't encounter any errors or noticeable glitches (aside from one ship parenting issue I posted about in the Prototype Enemy Ship Designs thread) - impressive.

Gameplay works well, was quite fun until my ship became extremely overpowered :P
The progression system is interesting. Are the extra weapon types obtained through alien pods implemented already? (asking because I haven't found any so far - plenty of pods, but none that grant new weapons) EDIT: That'd be right, just found one in one of the last few systems.

Performance is fine - stable 30fps 99% of the time. Would a higher target framerate be possible?
Graphics have a few nice improvements over BSF. The widescreen resolution makes fullscreen gameplay a bit better (on widescreen displays, at least). Would it be possible for the game to run at different resolutions?

Sound effects are pretty good - those explosions :D
That is rather interesting. I got several glitches right away, some crashing the game and preventing me from playing the newer versions.

I also get informed of some missing dll during startup.
-Abraham Lincoln
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Lukasmah: You need to install the DirectX runtime that you can find here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... aspx?id=35

Ristyo: I'll get around to adding a config ini file of some kind.

There is a translation table of old weapons to new weapons. The flaregun becomes the Heavy Blaster, for example. But I want to hold off on making new ships until we have sprites since we'd have to redo all the ships anyway.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Wow, visible improvement since the last version I played.

There isn't a whole lot of variety yet and you can't do much aside from fighting, but I guess there is a lot mroe to come.
-Abraham Lincoln
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Anna wrote:
... Okay, are you dense? This new game has some weapons which don't exist in BSF, like Sniper Pulse Guns and other such weapons. You can use BSF's shipmaker to make enemy ships for this game. He is wondering how he can put those weapons, which don't exist in shipmaker but DO EXIST IN THIS NEW GAME, onto the ships he is trying to make.

HOW IS THIS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND!?
Hey man forgive me, I have trouble understanding sometimes.

Also, I still haven't fixed my problem with this game, I tried turning it into windowed but it crashes and in the main menu too. It's the same with Alt+Tab but only crashes when i switch back.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Tankwarhammer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Tankwarhammer »

I would recommend that after you explore the entire map,the game gives you the option to restart and generate a whole new map.
replaying old maps and hoping that enemies appear is quite boring.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Can we please get rid of this dumbshit focus/screen stealing behaviour when tabbed out? I'm guessing this is some derpy DX/D3D/whatever behaviour here. Get a proper damn window already. :P

To elaborate; I started the warpout sequence and then tabbed out; when the game transitioned back to the galaxy map, it immediately seized the foreground and would not go away. Alt-Tab didn't help. Ctrl-Shift-Esc didn't help, because task manager was buried behind the display. Ctrl-Alt-Delete didn't really help because there was nothing I could do from that screen that could actually help me get rid of the damn thing. Eventually I told the machine to restart from the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen and managed to abort the restart process when it delayed due to an unsaved and untitled text document.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Thats probably just fallout of me using the popup messages. all of those messages should go away soon, they were just a convenient stop gap.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Tankwarhammer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Tankwarhammer »

th15 wrote:Thats probably just fallout of me using the popup messages. all of those messages should go away soon, they were just a convenient stop gap.
I hope so,those popup messages can be quite annoying at times.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New version

Basic planetary exploration and crew system added.

v1.0.0.13
- New charging & firing sounds for Spinal Beamer from Cycerin
- Improved efficiency of beam drawing
- Added config.ini file. It only saves fullscreen settings for now.
- Player moves faster when there are no enemies on the level (this may have been added last version)
- New pulse sounds from Cycerin
- Planetary exploration system
- Lowered jump time

Edit: There was a problem in one of the data files. I've fixed it and released v1.0.0.13a
Edit2: Really fixed it now, put up v1.0.0.13b
Sean 'th15' Chan
Ristyo
Captain
Captain

Post by Ristyo »

Player moves faster when there are no enemies......
I thought it was my pc lagging, it was already there last release.
The Comerlian Family

Dammit, didn't realize Starsector is really hard.
Tankwarhammer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Tankwarhammer »

I like the new update :) the sound effects are quite nice.
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

What are you using to make the game? Gamemaker? Or is this programmed from scratch?
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

He said he used GM.
-Abraham Lincoln