Early Pre-Prototype Build

I'm making a game over the holidays. Come play it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

th15
Administrator

Early Pre-Prototype Build

Post by th15 »

Releasing this a bit early because I need feedback on the ship controls. Please keep in mind that this is super early in development. This is essentially v0.01.

Installation Instructions
Download (link below), unzip to a directory and run "SpaceRoguelike.exe".

Gameplayer Instructions
- WASD or arrow keys to move ship
- Left click to target enemy ship
- Mouse up/down to zoom in/out
- Waves of enemies will spawn and attack you. See how many waves you can survive.

Extra Stuff:
Spoiler!
-F9 will convert a .shp file to a json file (it will prompt for the .shp top open first then prompt for a filename to save the json version to). Keep in mind that you can only use stock sections 1-18 and only pulse, blaster and particle gun turrets. Most custom stuff won't work too.
-F10 will spawn an enemy from a json file
Feedback Needed
- I'm unsure about the ship controls. What do you guys think?
- I have doubts about the locked, rotating view, what do you guys think?
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Prototype Build (Download here)

Post by Arcalane »

The way it recenters after turning feels iffy (constant adjustment required for a smooth orbit, for instance) but otherwise controls feel fine as a whole.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Well, right now it's kinda like BSF with less stuff and with your ship stuck in WASD control mode, but that's to be expected from pre-alpha and is not terrible.

I really think some artists to create dedicated and detailed section pieces for this game would be a good idea. I'll try my hand at it myself. Some way to pause the game would be good. The controls feel fine, and the camera rotation is a bit odd, I think I'd prefer the view point to be fixed, instead of rotating with the ship. Also, you can fly off the edge of space into a vast expanse of grey... I gather that's just another symptom of "super-early version" though.

One thing that I really hate is the long red line extending from the front of the ship and the green thing indicating how you're turning. If they were less obvious and distracting (more transparent, maybe?), or part of some HUD instead of just slapped onto your ship, that might be better.

For now though, for super-early progress, it all seems pretty good!
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I posted about it in IRC, but you may see this first, so I'll post it here.

[20:47:02] <@Anna> Hm
[20:47:09] <@Anna> Attempting to convert this .shp didn't work
[20:47:21] <@Anna> Maybe the version of Shipmaker I used was incompatible
[20:49:07] <@Anna> Hm
[20:49:18] <@Anna> Well, the .sb4 opens fine in the last official shipmaker release
[20:50:12] <@Anna> It's not converting. :(
[20:50:37] <@Anna> Maybe it's 'cause I'm using custom colours idk
[20:53:24] <@Anna> This is just straight up not working
[20:53:32] <@Anna> I'm pressing F9
[20:53:37] <@Anna> I am selecting a .shp file
[20:53:47] <@Anna> I am typing in a filename to save the .json as
[20:53:51] <@Anna> But then nothing happens
[20:53:56] <@Anna> No .json files are created
[20:54:16] <@Anna> Wait
[20:54:17] <@Anna> one set
[20:54:37] <@Anna> Nope, still no work
[20:55:47] <@Anna> I am completely fuckin mystified
[20:59:56] <@Anna> th15
[21:00:08] <@Anna> Can you see any reason why this ship would not convert?
[21:02:22] <@Anna> Has only Stock 1-18 sections, has only pulse guns, particle guns and blasters as weapons, has no custom colors, has no custom anything, was made in the last official BSF release build
[21:02:24] <@Anna> so I am
[21:02:26] <@Anna> confused
[21:05:37] <~Arcalane> I think he already went to bed
[21:05:55] <@Anna>I can't even get it to convert this
[21:05:57] <@Anna> argh
[21:07:52] <@Anna> Yeah no
[21:08:09] <@Anna> The shp->json conversion doesn't work at all for me
[21:08:44] <@Anna> Making ships in barebones .90d Shipmaker
[21:08:49] <@Anna> And still no conversion
[21:08:53] <@Anna> So
[21:08:55] <@Anna> That's a thing

EDIT: Problem has been fixed. The .json must be saved to a different folder from the one you have the game installed in. This is really weird, but fixes the problem for now, for anyone else who wishes to convert ships and see how they work.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Another issue: Converted ships do not appear to maintain correct section depth, and some sections appear to convert incorrectly.

Example, ship as it appears in shipmaker:

Ship after conversion to .json:

The depthing for sections is completely messed up, which ruins several layered effects, but more over, several sections were incorrectly replaced. Every instance of Stock 16 was replaced with Stock 17, the uses of Stock 17 was replaced with Stock 18, and the uses of Stock 18 were replaced with Stock 19, which isn't even meant to be in there? Everything else appears right, I think, but those are all messed up.

I hope this is helpful.

EDIT: Maybe it would be better to make a stand-alone, dedicated shipbuilding system for this new game, rather than relying on porting stuff from BSF? Just a thought. Seems like making things backwards compatible to BSF's shipmaker will probably be more limiting and/or overall more complicated than having some program dedicated to this new game.
Quality Control Enforcer
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Oh, apparently I massively fucked up the naming of the later sections. That was dumb. Yea I didn't port the depthing system.

It won't be too hard to build a new editor, but it won't have all the quality of life bells and whistles the existing ship maker has. I think it would be easier to make the new game handle some of the power of the old ship maker than make whole new ship maker at this point. I might mangle the shipmaker so it doesn't let you do things you can't do though.
Sean 'th15' Chan
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Okay the next version will support all the custom sprites bundled in the 090d distribution of the game. Having great ships is important for this game and supporting custom sprites is a big part of that
Sean 'th15' Chan
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New version.

Changed controls to be like SPAZ:
- Ship always tries to face mouse.
- WASD controls motion relative to facing of ship (i.e. W: forward, S: reverse, A: strafe left, D: strafe right)
- ctrl toggles ship facing mouse on/off
- left click on enemy to target

View system changed to be a mouse offset system. However, when you have a target, your view is locked to center on the point in the middle of both ships.

Game supports full custom sprites. Make the "custom_sprite" directory in the game have all the stuff from the "Custom sprites" directory of the ship maker and you should be able to use any custom sections.

Depthing should work correctly. Colors too.
Sean 'th15' Chan
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

NEW VERSION

PROGRESSION SYSTEM!
You now get tech points for kill ships. When you die, you are taken to the tech lab screen where you can spend your tech points on upgrades. Your progress is saved and you can continue with your previous stats if you continue.

- Implemented a basic progression system, you can now upgrade certain stats of your ship.
- Command system, once you purchase the corresponding upgrade in the tech screen, you can use these commands by pressing F1: engines to maximum, F2: brace for impact, F3: concentrated fire, F4: damage control (repair).
- Fixed depth issues
Sean 'th15' Chan
Tankwarhammer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Early Pre-Prototype Build

Post by Tankwarhammer »

Looking good :) i'm liking how this is turning out.
xjosephx
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Early Pre-Prototype Build

Post by xjosephx »

When i press F5 to jump it does nothing. :(

I keep having to turn off the game and then continue
offence is the best defence! I was merely defending myself when i destroyed your homeworld.