Amber Dragon Syndicate

For approved factions or something. Only approved DGW group members can post here.
STARSTRUCK

Amber Dragon Syndicate

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Amber Dragon Syndicate
While the Syndicate have no standardized insignia, this style is normally seen on inter-chapter missions. The four amber spheres represent virility of the highest order.

History
The central philosophy of the Syndicate is summed up by the following haiku, written by the previous don while excising the pineal gland from a traitorous underling:

Cherry blossoms fall—
He who fucks with Syndicate
gets short end of deal.

The organization is believed to have its roots on Terra during its pre-FTL years, and as such has had a longer and more arduous history than some nations. Their earliest activities are poorly-documented, but it is said that many characteristics of their organization (including their general regimented attitude and the current chain of command) date back to those fledgling days.

The Syndicate has always been composed of several chapters, each granted "control" over a different region of known space. There were once planetary chapters, but they've since merged into larger blocs and the TSE chapter now stands on its own. Every now and then, through a tortuous and bloody succession process, a don is appointed from one of the chapters and given significant authority to command the actions of the Syndicate, although whether or not he gets to keep it remains to be seen. Depending on his legitimacy and competence, a don can rule for two centuries or be assassinated within days.

Slowly but surely, the Syndicate's influence has expanded throughout known space, and its chapters are now led by several different species around the galactic arm (each with its own designated pineal gland equivalent, to be excised as proof of a kill). Nevertheless, some Terran livery remains present, although "xeno" chapters prefer to insert their own mythological creatures into the mix, along with whatever passes for social deviancy (nose piercings are not universally "badass", for example). But somehow, the characteristics of the chosen animal remain the same: proud, gaudy, and fierce. The Syndicate soldier carries himself as no person to be trifled with.

Their activities in known space are generally of the most cutthroat and illicit kind, revolving around contraband smuggling, trade convoy raids and well-organized tech heists. They have a strict "no quarter" policy when it comes to boarding ships: unless necessary, nobody is to be left alive to tell the tale. Because their ships are generally some variety of repurposed rustbucket, they rely on their corrupting pull with local governors to delay the intervention of the authorities. As such, their most heinous crimes tend to go completely unpunished.

Chapters
I'll fill this in later.

Technology
Syndicate ships are hastily lashed together from civilian and surplus military tech, often built on cheap, "pre-loved" transport chassis that were declared unsafe after trade lane accidents. Their combat vessels generally mount commonly-available yellow lasers, although red lasers are not unheard of in some chapters. While their smaller ships are quite tame, their cruiser and battleship-class vessels are typically commissioned custom by rich local crime lords, who can afford to splurge on illegal cutting-edge tech that matches or exceeds the performance of military hardware.

Ships
Updated with pinyin tone marks for that authentic space triad feel.

Corvette "Dāo"
Description: One of the lightest Syndicate systems, normally found in small wolfpacks where little resistance is expected. As with many Syndicate vessels, it is somewhat more sluggish than systems of comparable size.
Size: 52.48
Hull: 170
Speed: 4.20
Turning: 1.80
Accel: 0.40
AI: Flanking
Armament:
8x Yellow Tiny Laser
1x Yellow Light Laser

Frigate "Qiāng"
Description: A general-purpose attack frigate that forms the backbone of larger raiding parties. The firepower of this system is somewhat anemic for its size, as it is normally drafted for its cargo space more than anything.
Size: 66.61
Hull: 240
Speed: 3.40
Turning: 1.35
Accel: 0.30
AI: Normal
Armament:

4x Yellow Light Laser
2x Yellow ER Light Beam

Destroyer "Jiàn"
Description: A very dangerous vessel, in which the effect of the Syndicate's tech trading begins to manifest. In numbers, its dual EMPCs are highly effective in controlling the firepower of larger systems. A target to prioritize.
Size: 97.51
Hull: 420
Speed: 2.0
Turning: 0.75
Accel: 0.20
Armament:

4x Yellow Light Laser
2x Syndicate EMP Cannon

Pirate Hulk "Tiānlóng"
Description: A large cargo/support system designed for survivability more than anything else. Its experimental Leech Beam makes it very hard to destroy, while its sizeable fighter complement serves to harrass smaller systems that approach it.
Size: 112.58
Hull: 800
Speed: 1.6
Turning: 0.5
Accel: 0.15
Armament:

4x Yellow Heavy Laser
1x Syndicate Leech Beam
4x Light Missile Rack (8 tube)

Fighter Compliment:
10x "Fēng" Assault Cutter (each w/ 4x Light Missile)

SCCS Cruiser "Mèngdé"
Description: An advanced system generally commissioned by local Syndicate lords for their most loyal subordinates. Outfitted with heavy weapons, thick armor, and a fully-featured military-style Sensor Command and Control Suite, the Mèngdé is a force to be reckoned with.
Size: 112.15
Hull: 650
Speed: 1.84
Turning: 0.80
Accel: 0.22
Armament:

4x Yellow Heavy Laser
4x Yellow Twin Medium Laser
1x Syndicate Leech Beam
4x Light Missile Rack (8 tube)

Support Ship "Chatsubo Type-27"
Description: A dedicated support system, capable of carrying significant quantities of dry cargo and cryogenic liquid fuel. In addition, it is capable of effecting fleet-level maintenance maintenance operations using its two Support Orbiters. Beware, it's not quite toothless...
Size: 88.57
Hull: 400
Speed: 1.92
Turning: 0.53
Accel: 0.18
Armament:

2x Support Orbiter (each w/ Yellow Snub Superheavy Cannon)

Merchantman "Chāngshèng"
Click for animation!
Description: I assure you, sir, this vessel is assuredly not carrying any regulated weapons, narcotics or illegal nanite precursors. If local authorities were to scan its hold for contraband ("Freelancer Alpha 1-1...") it would definitely offer its full cooperation instead of reacting violently. Also, it is probably not armed to the teeth with preposterously dangerous long-ranged weapons. That suspicious protrusion on the front is a cargo ramp, not an 8 gigawatt railgun that launches 3 ton multimodal containers at significant speed. Those cryogenic fuel tanks are securely fixed to the hull and will never become torpedoes.
Wha-- routine search? My vessel has "merchant ship" written on the hull. Isn't that proof enough?
Size: 106.00
Hull: 420
Speed: 1.20
Turning: 0.40
Accel: 0.18
Armament:

1x Multimodal Container Railgun
4x LH2/LOX Tank Torpedo

Unique Technology
Syndicate EMPC
This new type of EMP-based weaponry was originally intended for the civilian market, but was withdrawn due to the Syndicate pulling strings with the manufacturer. Now the Syndies have exclusive access to this ludicrous piece of black-market bling. While originally designed as a "soft-kill" weapon, the Sydicate version is so powerful that-- in addition to the stun effect-- it actually induces significant warping and heating damage in the target system's hull. The tradeoff is that it can only operate in short pulses, marginalizing the system shock effect.

Syndicate Leech Beam
Prototypes of a highly-experimental weapon delivered as a "tithe" from the Delphinus Frictionless Bearings Corporation.
The Leech Beam projects a stream of illegal CX-class nanite precursors contained within jets of superconducting working fluid, which strike the target at a 20th of the speed of light. The nanites strip recoverable metals from the target system and form them into magnetized bezoars, which are then retrieved by the allied system to "patch up" sections of damaged armor.

Ship Downloads
http://puu.sh/2LZGL
robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Amber Dragon Syndicate

Post by robots rock »

I'm sad because I can't see them.
Silly school internet. (I'm a boarder..)
Creator and Ruler of PACIV
Holy Elephant Poo! It works on my school internet!

Latooni: "I like to imagine every australian snipes for a living"

Keep your head down. I can see you from here.........
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Added backstory. Downloads maybe someday.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

That is the greatest haiku ever.
naysayers will be shot
Delta_Com
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Delta_Com »

Minor question:
The Leech Beam listed at the bottom. Is that just a Nanomatrix plus Beamer or did you make it some other way?
Best scene in a TV show ever:
"Problem with the transfer tube?"
"No, not really. It seems like every time I get into the tube, Mr. Garibaldi is there. It's like he knows."
"Talia, Mr. Garibaldi is many things, but he's not omniscient." [Garibaldi appears]
"I think I'll take the stairs."
"I think I'll join you."

-- Sinclair and Winters
Babylon 5
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

It's just some dumb trigger shit where a nanomatrix is moved into place while the beam is firing.
Delta_Com
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Delta_Com »

STARSTRUCK wrote:It's just some dumb trigger shit where a nanomatrix is moved into place while the beam is firing.
Okay. That is kind of what I thought but was not entirely sure. Just interested in the custom weapons some people have made using triggers and stuff.
Best scene in a TV show ever:
"Problem with the transfer tube?"
"No, not really. It seems like every time I get into the tube, Mr. Garibaldi is there. It's like he knows."
"Talia, Mr. Garibaldi is many things, but he's not omniscient." [Garibaldi appears]
"I think I'll take the stairs."
"I think I'll join you."

-- Sinclair and Winters
Babylon 5
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Ship downloads up. Some of them may or may not be immensely imba, but that's up for you to find out (Life's like a box of chocolates.)
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

I think the repair rate of the leech beam is kinda OP. When that thing is on, the Mengde is essentially invulnerable to anything less than a battleship or half a dozen Supernovas.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

new shp

czech out the animatiozzzzzn on this baby yall

(I had to one-up Anna' transport or else I wouldn't sleep.)
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Neat. I am guessing that the "ammunition belt" sections have a return time of 1, so they can't be seen going back. Is that how the illusion of continuous motion is done?
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Something like that. I've seen jwa make it look like two blocks were spinning around the hull of a ship doing something similar.
naysayers will be shot