Shipbuilding gudelines

For approved factions or something. Only approved DGW group members can post here.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Shipbuilding gudelines

Post by calvin1211 »

WFTU is meant to be more freeform and open than previous metagames, and as such there aren't really much rules in place regarding ship design, meaning that you have much more creative freedom. Nontheless, however, there are some things you have to keep in mind when designing ships.

General style guidelines:
WFTU focuses more on the smaller side of shipbuilding. This the setting's WTFHUGE battleships are around 150-200 ish size, which should be a good rough guideline for the higher end of ship size scaling. Aesthetically, this also means that there is much more focus on smaller details in shipbuilding.
Ideally, individual factions should have their own unique ship styling/distinguishing features. Faction owners have freedom as to what exactly this entails (you don't need to tell me, so don't). A ship should be easily recognisable as belonging to a particular faction.

Power Balancing:
Be a good sport about this. Too many OP warships isn't fun for everyone. You have great freedom, so don't abuse this.
As a rough guideline: The Miora Colonies are on the extreme high end when it comes to per-ship capabilities. SAR are mid-high. The ASDF are low-end, Kebb are mid-low ish (still iffy about that).

Your new faction thread here should be similar to what you had in the Custom ships forum. Faction description, ship list etc.
I'd like it if people add all their ships (including new ships) to their OP for ease of reference.

Doogie Edit; Also, you must post a download of both the ship and sb4 file, and also upload all the sprites you used. We, as game masters, have the ability to edit your ships as see fit.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Shipbuilding gudelines

Post by Doogie12 »

I'm tempted to make a a set of each type of weapon and limiting users to only those. Obviously, the weapon types would include kinetic, plasma, the lasers we already use, missiles, particle weapons, ions, etc.
Regardless, we should make a listing of the weapons already in use and give a description of what they do and use.
naysayers will be shot
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

Would this limitation be only one weapon type per faction, or possibly two / three? For example, If limiting would be set, I would like have both kinetic weaponry and missiles for Ratai.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

If a complete list of weapons was prepared, we could choose one weapon type to have and one that we can't have. Just repeat until all weapon types have a designation. The choices are unique to each faction though. Maybe
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I was actually thinking of more of a really long list of weapons and saying "here is what you can use"
But I'm leaning against it now.
naysayers will be shot
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I strongly recommend keeping lasers (well, blasters) as the baseline weapon. Factions should pick one colour (red, yellow, green, blue, or violet) as their primary laser type, stats per this spreadsheet. It also contains data for missiles, prototype beam stats, and ASDF/Kebb/GORE/SAR/Novian/Mior ship comparisons.

Horse had a spreadsheet of updated/rebalanced weapon stats but I forget where it went.
Last edited by Arcalane on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spreadsheet updated with Novian/Mior comparisons
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ