Total Noob Question

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Total Noob Question

Post by Majicnanas »

I'm pretty sure this has been asked millions of time, and answered a million times.

But I'm having trouble selecting sections above other sections without selecting the bottom section. :P

Don't get mad, or anything emotionally aggressive. Just a noob question being asked by an Intermediate.
Add me on steam @majicnanas
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Total Noob Question

Post by calvin1211 »

I just move problematic sections away temporarily by adding a hundred or so to the y-value in the edit tab.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Left click 'over' the section you want to select, then hold Ctrl and left-click in the same spot until you actually select the section you want. That'll let you parent stuff off it with no problems.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

Thanks. :D
Add me on steam @majicnanas
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I didn't figure that out til a year ago, you know, 3 years after I joined these forums.
naysayers will be shot
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Pretty sure it's mentioned in the help file (just goes to show how often people actually read that shit) but the caveat regarding proper selection/parenting probably isn't. I'm not sure what the deal with that is to be honest.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

No, I don't think it is. I just gave it a quick scan and couldn't find any mention of a "ctrl + click" feature.
naysayers will be shot
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Arcalane wrote:Left click 'over' the section you want to select, then hold Ctrl and left-click in the same spot until you actually select the section you want. That'll let you parent stuff off it with no problems.
On occasion (in my case anyway), new cloned sections and doodads are parented to the previous section selected or the core. This only occurs when the section is selected with ctrl + click. Sections that can be clicked normally do not have this problem. It usually causes me to move the section to an area to where I can select it normally and then clone things.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
delta-7
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by delta-7 »

Arcalane wrote:Left click 'over' the section you want to select, then hold Ctrl and left-click in the same spot until you actually select the section you want. That'll let you parent stuff off it with no problems.
it was over a year till i even heard of that trick. i still don't use it, i prefer to just move sections away. sure it's less convenient, but for a noob like me who's designs are as simple and crappy as they are, i don't need any fancy ctrl+alt+leftshift+tab+rightshift+little squiggly line+click stuff to memorize to save 10 seconds on building a ship so crappy i don't ever dare post it.
DerpCactusDerp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DerpCactusDerp »

About the help file:
The reason nobody reads the entire thing is that it's very long and rather extensive, it's exhausting just to read it. Perhaps it could be turned from a simple text file to something more... Categorized?
But then, that's probably some nighmare to figure out :|
Now working on those nice needle beamers. Beware!