Trying to use some custom weap. sprites gives blank sprite?

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Trying to use some custom weap. sprites gives blank sprite?

Post by LostAmongStars »

See my thread title--I'm experimenting with custom weapon sprites and when I try to apply some of them to my guns, I get the "blank sprite", the little white square with the orange ring inside it--what gives? I thought that sprite only popped up when an .ini file called for a sprite that wasn't there--but I can see the sprites in my program files folders, so what am I missing? Thanks for the help, guys!
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Re: Trying to use some custom weap. sprites gives blank spri

Post by Zalausai »

In the weapon's ED2 tab, you must click the "custom sprite" dialog box. (It's the third from the top) You will have to manually select the sprite for each weapon. You can skip doing it again if you want alot of the same weapon since copy/paste carries over the sprite.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LostAmongStars »

That's what I'm doing. Go to ED2 tab, select "Custom Sprite", get a Windows Explorer window, go through the BSF folder to find the weapon sprite you want, right? I'm doing all that, but then when I select a sprite that I can -see- in my Windows Explorer, it takes me back to the editor and I get a little white an orange square that looks like the engine core.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Hmm. If these are the ones that came with the repack and are all in their intended locations, then I have no idea.

Go through this checklist, it's the best that I got.
1. Make sure that your version is up to date. (put the .exes into the BSF directory) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7034
2. Make sure the sprite files are located in the BSF directory in the "custom sprites" folder. Most of them have a folder that goes within that folder.
3. If it is a newer custom sprite that you made yourself, make sure that it is in .gif or .png format. Note: .bmp is a poor choice as a sprite. It is meant as a background.

That's all I got. Since it isn't triggers, there isn't much else that I can do.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LostAmongStars »

Hey, well thanks for the advice :D I eventually gave up on trying to use that particular weapon sprite and used a similar looking one in another folder, then whipped up another ship. Tomorrow I'll go back through my sprite folders, see what glitches, and check that against your checklist. I may have just found a weird bug :P However, I am running on a fairly old PC right now on loan because my laptop died a few weeks back--so we'll see what happens when I get running on some modern hardware again.