How to make colors look more realistic?

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How to make colors look more realistic?

Post by LostAmongStars »

Question for my fellow shipbuilders: How do the other shipwrights get their craft to look like this:

download/file.php?id=780&mode=view
download/file.php?id=819&mode=view
download/file.php?id=820&mode=view
download/file.php?id=815&mode=view

As opposed to looking like a glowing blueprint?
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: How to make colors look more realistic?

Post by Netharis »

They use custom sprites.
As of now, most people use Kae_shn supplemented with some DST_swnc, horsemonster stuff and SS_Prosectionax which can be found here in a nice little package here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5764 (Note: Redownloads the rest of the game as well) which conveniently also contains a bunch of ready-to-go backgrounds.

Besides that, the first and fourth ships aren't exactly what I would consider goals to strive towards, better sources of inspiration would be the works of Anna, STARSTRUCK and Doogie12, to name a few off the top of my head (Ships by anyone whose name is in a different colour appears to be a pretty good guesstimate.

And no. I am not posting this response just because I have an exam tomorrow and am procrastinating, honest.
LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: How to make colors look more realistic?

Post by LostAmongStars »

Oh okay--thanks for the explanation. I'll take a look at that--see what's up. And I wasn't posting those because I was looking for inspiration--plenty of ideas up in my head :P I just saw those as examples of "solid" sprites, and wondered how they did that. So, thanks for the clarification :)