Those darn doodads

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Those darn doodads

Post by Zalausai »

I have three problems with doodads that continue to plague me. It's irritating, so I will describe the encounters as best I can to get some help.

I have noticed with some of my ships that when I place alot (over 30 or so) of doodads, sometimes they become misplaced along the y axis. It looks fine in shipmaker, so I can't tell until I load the ship into the sandbox. It is especially apparent with turrets. The doodads on sections that move are almost always affected. This is what prevented me from putting doodads on the arms of the "Ogre" ship at first.

When I go delete a section, sometimes all of the doodads on my entire ship go down one step of depth. This is irritating as I have to dig them all out and parent them to the section they are on again.

Sometimes doodads just do not show up in the sandbox. This is apparent in the "HLB 05 Hellfire's" artillery turret. The yellow DooFullLine that I used do not show up on the turret's right side.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Those darn doodads

Post by Anna »

1) Doodads do not work properly on moving or driven sections. They're buggy. So you probably just shouldn't bother putting Doodads on things like that. At least, I believe that's what is causing the problem you describe.

2) This problem will instantly fix itself if you place another section or just mirror the ship, you do not need to manually fish out all the doodads and re-parent them.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

Anna wrote:2) This problem will instantly fix itself if you place another section or just mirror the ship, you do not need to manually fish out all the doodads and re-parent them.
You can also just find the section the doodads are parented to and change it's depth up/down 1 and back which fixes it. This is particularly useful for mirrored sections, as lowering the upper section raises the lower section and vise versa which fixes two at once.
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Anna wrote:2) This problem will instantly fix itself if you place another section or just mirror the ship, you do not need to manually fish out all the doodads and re-parent them.
Tested. Successful.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

You can also delete sections without causing that Doodad depthing problem by pressing Shift-Q to lower the section you're deleting to the lowest depth before you delete it. I generally don't bother with it, 'cause mirroring the ship is an easy enough fix, but this'll stop it from happening if you care.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.