Importing Sprites?

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

General Isaac
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Importing Sprites?

Post by General Isaac »

By now, this kind of question will be ticking all you pro's off. I've been on and off of playing BSF for a couple years now, since 2009/10 at least. I once attempted custom sprites -- Failed. Attempted downloading Custom Ships -- Failed. I googled, searched, assaulted these forums and everything. I have the sprites, I can not use them. The only possible way I can use them at this point (How far I have gotten) is to use the Import. One at a time. I violated these forums again... found that Anna had something about Group Arrange, though I don't choose any folders, just 'oh, hey, here are some sprouts' I guess, because it has 3 groups of icons that I can move around and that's it, can not get these in there without having to import one at a time.

Also, AegisDeflectors have stopped popping up to select what section to protect now, is there something in the edit or am I just blind to all of these things. No seriously, I don't know....
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Importing Sprites?

Post by jwa8402 »

sounds like, assuming you have the sprites in the right place, just download a .ini file. Once you load that, you would have a premade selection of sprites. There should be several under the custom sprites section but I can upload one if you tell me which packs you want.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

If you're really desperate, you can just open the folders with the sprites in a Windows Explorer window (or whatever equivalent program you have) and drag-and-drop the sprites into shipmaker.
And as for the aegis, you have to select the deflector module, then right-ckick on the section you want protected.
General Isaac
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by General Isaac »

jwa8402 wrote:sounds like, assuming you have the sprites in the right place, just download a .ini file. Once you load that, you would have a premade selection of sprites. There should be several under the custom sprites section but I can upload one if you tell me which packs you want.
All I want currently is this pack...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5823

Thanks for creating a .ini file for me, it won't let me create one for some reason. That custom sprites folder is in this directory
C:\Program Files (x86)\Battleships Forever\Custom sprites\Kae_shn 385-512
calvin1211 wrote:If you're really desperate, you can just open the folders with the sprites in a Windows Explorer window (or whatever equivalent program you have) and drag-and-drop the sprites into shipmaker.
And as for the aegis, you have to select the deflector module, then right-ckick on the section you want protected.
Thank you.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

General Isaac wrote: All I want currently is this pack...

Thanks for creating a .ini file for me, it won't let me create one for some reason. That custom sprites folder is in this directory
Actually, that set of sprites should go into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Battleships Forever\Custom sprites\Kae_shn
It's needed for compatibility with the custom ships using those sprites - IIRC that's the usual folder those sprites go into.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

^That was actually a very frequent mistake when they first came out. Some ships will go either way.
naysayers will be shot
General Isaac
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by General Isaac »

calvin1211 wrote:
General Isaac wrote: All I want currently is this pack...

Actually, that set of sprites should go into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Battleships Forever\Custom sprites\Kae_shn
It's needed for compatibility with the custom ships using those sprites - IIRC that's the usual folder those sprites go into.

Yes well here I need to quote a noob because I still can't do it...

"ok I did that but it still didn't work"

Changed the name of the folder now
C:\Program Files (x86)\Battleships Forever\Custom sprites\Kae_shn\
Well they don't show in Group Arrange, and clicking that doesn't request to open a folder or anything

EDIT: I have all default folders, aside from this. So that means I have no extra folders except what comes in the download. I was looking at the forum thread has a poster that posted a .ini file, but it wouldn't work. I went to edit it to see what it had, and it had several HM as well, it didn't even have about 350-400, and my folder only has 385-512, some were mismatched, and it looks extremely trouble some to edit and configure, it'd be like importing parts one at a time.
Rookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rookie »

Oh you have heard of them 'blush'
And I think you don't rename rhe folder you actually move.the sprites too a folder labeled kae_shn

But then again ima "rookie"
The courageus don't live forever,
Th cowardly don't live at all.
General Isaac
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by General Isaac »

So anyone that can lend me assistance?
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

If you''re using the .ini route, you need to use the 'import custom sprite .ini' It should be under the tools menu alongside group arrange.
For group arrange, you have to drag the sprites into the group arrange screen (from an explorer window).
General Isaac
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by General Isaac »

calvin1211 wrote:If you''re using the .ini route, you need to use the 'import custom sprite .ini' It should be under the tools menu alongside group arrange.
For group arrange, you have to drag the sprites into the group arrange screen (from an explorer window).

Welp. I reached a new stupidity level. This did it. Custom sprites, HERE I COME!