Ship File Format

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Skybuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ship File Format

Post by Skybuck »

Hello,

I could use some help at trying to document/figure out how the *.shp files work/format is.

The following comment was in the *.shp file:
//sh3 ver2

The basic format seems to be a "tag" followed by fields seperated by comma's on a seperate line.

So far I understand the following by example:

nSec2a,103.60,64.70,"HorseMonster_Realistic\HM_EngineeringBelt.png",1,1,-84,-1,1,1,-1,8421504

[0] (nSec2a): Tag to indicate functionality: battleship piece
[1] (103.60): battleship piece x coordinate
[2] (64.70): battleship piece y coordinate
[3] ("HorseMonster_Realistic\HM_EngineeringBelt.png"): battleship sprite
[4] (1): battleship piece scale x
[5] (1): battleship piece scale y
[6] (-84): battleship piece angle
[7] (-1): battleship piece health (-1 is default?)
[8] (1): color mod (?)
[9] (1): unknown ? (optional)
[10] (-1): unknown ? (optional)
[11] (8421504): 32 bit color (or 24 bit ?) (optional)

Other tags which still need to be explained/documented:

nSec2b
nSec2c
nSec2M
nSecT
nSec2D
nTur2
nMod2
nThrEx2
nWep2a
nWep2b
nWepT
nMIRV
nPar2
nTrigW
nTrigS
nTrigS2
nShp2

Possibly others as well.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Ship File Format

Post by Anna »

I'm not sure why you think this is necessary. There is no need for people to know these things. :| There is almost no legitimate reason I can think of to ever manually edit the text contents of .shp or .sb4 files, since... well, the shipmaker does it just fine.

I mean, unless you want to make .shp and .sb4 files that are completely broken and do things they shouldn't be able to do. Then I suppose there's a reason.

It's a very bad reason, though.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Anna wrote:I mean, unless you want to make .shp and .sb4 files that are completely broken and do things they shouldn't be able to do. Then I suppose there's a reason.

It's a very bad reason, though.
Except BSF wouldn't parse them properly. Especially if they were supposed to do Bad Things.

Still, I don't see why these need documenting either. You're not going to learn much by doing this, trust me.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna

Post by Anna »

Arcalane wrote:Except BSF wouldn't parse them properly. Especially if they were supposed to do Bad Things.
Hence why it's a bad reason.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Skybuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skybuck »

The documentation would be usefull for developers so they can make tools, websites, databases, game extensions etc for battleship's forever...
Anna

Post by Anna »

... You mean documentation would be useful so people could violate th15's intellectual property by using .shp and .sb4 code in non-BSF programs? Because I fail to see how this shit would be useful for "websites, databases" AT ALL, and I fail how it could be used to make tools and extensions for BSF without violating th15's copyright.
Quality Control Enforcer
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Skybuck wrote:The documentation would be usefull for developers so they can make tools, websites, databases, game extensions etc for battleship's forever...
I'm sure the documentation would be useful to developers. Except the only developers that actually have anything to do with BSF probably already have this documented neatly.
It's not like just anyone's supposed to be fucking around with BSF stuff, it's not open source you know.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Skybuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skybuck »

Some competition for BSF would be nice.

Currently it's lacking multiplayer, and it runs slow, perhaps the physics and resolution could also be better. There is no central database for sprites or ships. There are also no versions available for linux, mobile phones, and so forth...

Competition for BSF doesn't have to be bad for anybody as long as the ships stay compatible file-wise...

So I hope to see some documentation released so experimental clones can be made which will remain compatible with the "lead designers".
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Skybuck wrote:Some competition for BSF would be nice.

Currently it's lacking multiplayer, and it runs slow, perhaps the physics and resolution could also be better. There is no central database for sprites or ships. There are also no versions available for linux, mobile phones, and so forth...

Competition for BSF doesn't have to be bad for anybody as long as the ships stay compatible file-wise...

So I hope to see some documentation released so experimental clones can be made which will remain compatible with the "lead designers".
Get out. Right this very instant.
Competition is a very different thing from copying the game and stealing the way files are built.
You honestly disgust me.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Skybuck wrote:The documentation would be usefull for developers so they can make tools, websites, databases, game extensions etc for battleship's forever...
If anybody actually wanted to make these, they'd've been made already.

Locked.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ