Tired...

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Admiral Patches
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Tired...

Post by Admiral Patches »

With all the new, upbeat custom sections and packs that are whizzing about at indescribable speeds (quite literally, in fact) it is quite hard to resettle into the new community.

Could someone please provide of some of their recommended sprite packs? I require new tastes for my new projects.
Thanks in advance.
Shipyard: Admiralty Shipyards
***Current Project***
BF-01 Paracelsus (Beam Fortress)
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Tired...

Post by Doogie12 »

...you do know that there is a massive download for most sprites in a stickied thread?
naysayers will be shot
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

And where would that be?
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

My goal is to build the most epic thing possible, PERIOD.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Doogie12 wrote:...you do know that there is a massive download for most sprites in a stickied thread?
Assuming you are referring to the metagame sprite archive: don't. It's old, outdated and messy.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

I agree that there are alot of sprite packs whizzing around your best bet is to download any sprite packs as soon as they come on the forum, I made a list of correct sprite pack names viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5196&start=0 that also has some download links and any others im sure with a bit of searching you can find them :)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Admiral Patches
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Thanks for the banter guys, but this thread is just me asking for your sprite/section packs that you like to use. I'm sorta aiming to blend curves and lines together for my latest project, and I need some good/classic packs to get me started. Latest shiny sections as well?
***Current Project***
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

My personal recommendations would be: The DST-swnc sprites, Kaelis's Shiny sections, and HorseMonster's Realistic/RocketBits/RobotBits/Detailed Weapons, and STARSTRUCK's Prosectionax sections.

Basically, the sprites in the Limited Realism category of the Beauty Pageant. I think they're the nicest looking and most versatile sections, and they all work together fairly well, as long as you practice. One thing to beware of with Kaelis' Shiny sections though is that not all of them work well together. It takes a fair bit of work and messing around to figure out which ones work well together and which ones don't.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Admiral Patches
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Thanks... anyone else?

And also, is there a quick way of adding bitmaps onto the section list without going through the same process over and over, or is there a way to combine them all into a .ini file?
***Current Project***
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

TSA_GF seem to work well enough with shn, also Fraxy Sprites to a certain degree. I like the DST_ori as well, 'cos I'm a lazy git and they're already coloured.
EDIT: Also Tyrian weapons
Last edited by Son Tzu on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

in shipmaker got to tools, and select "group arrange" this'll open up the group arragne window, and you can add as many sprites as you like at once to any of the groups there. then save the .ini file afterwards and hey presto, one easy made .ini sprites file. about sections, Anna pretty much summed up the best, so i'd go with those
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Admiral Patches
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I see... but can you explain it step by step? I kinda wanna combine all the Limited Realism sections that Anna outlined, and please explain how to use the group arrange, 'cause I can't seem to use it properly... all i get is my mouse acting up and no functions available
***Current Project***
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

well whwn you open up the group arrange area you get a gridded background which is (invidisibly) split into four groups of sections, each section three columns across. When you first open it up it'll show you the 4 groups of default sections which you might as well delete. Thne, open up the folder containing the sprites you want to import, select all the sprites and drag and drop them into any of the groups
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

Yeah, saves much time, that. Don't forget you can save custom colours too, which saves you having to memorise rgb values etc.
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Admiral Patches
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Thnaks for the info - i can now get started.

One last thing however - is there a Shipmaker trigger function that can "fold" ship arcs onto the main body when not in battle? I know it sounds strange, but basically what im looking for is that say the ship has 3 bodes - a main, massive-death laser body and two arcs (basically the other two bodies) like this:
/---
/
------> Main laser
\
\---

What i want is that when not in battle the ship will form into this:
/\-----
------->
\/-----

Is there a way to do that?
***Current Project***
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Yes. Something like that would require rotating sections which activate when triggered by something, like a certain button press, or a specific weapon acquiring a target, or a specific weapon firing. It would likely involve at the very least half a dozen articulated rotating sections, each one with triggers. Practice with moving sections and rotating sections and triggers and after getting the hang of things you should be able to make something like that without too much trouble. That's not really the sort of thing I can just give you a step-by-step guide to doing.

Well, it is, but it's the sort of thing I think is more interesting to learn by practicing and by experimenting, and frankly I am too tired and lazy and it would be far too much work to make a step-by-step guide. Suffice it to say, yes, it's quite possible to make transforming battleships.

EDIT: In fact, here's a video of one I made. It's not the same kind of transformation as the one you describe, but uses the exact same methods and techniques that such a transformation would require.
Spoiler!
Last edited by Anna on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added example
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.