Making custom weapons?

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HighTomTitty
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Making custom weapons?

Post by HighTomTitty »

Yeah, yeah w/e... Anyway, I recently re-formatted my hard drive and lost all of the custom stuff I had on here. I know how to make section sprites, but weapons I do not. Is there guide to doing so?
Lord Aries Greymon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Making custom weapons?

Post by Lord Aries Greymon »

That depends largely on what you mean.

Changing a weapon sprite? ED3 tab in shipbiulder, assign whatever sprite you want.
Adjusting an existing weapon's values (EG range, damage, reload) under the ED1 tab. There's a surprisingly great amount that can be done.

Actual new weapons added to the game, that aren't shipmaker mods? Not possible without re-writing the games executable.

I hope this has been helpfull.
Mildly sane.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

As far as I know, creating a weapon sprite is the same as creating any other section sprite. The difficult part is including a .gif of the weapon's firing animation. I do not know the particulars of the frame rate to use on such a .gif, but I am fairly certain that there is indeed a guide if you poke around the forums.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Kiltric wrote:As far as I know, creating a weapon sprite is the same as creating any other section sprite. The difficult part is including a .gif of the weapon's firing animation. I do not know the particulars of the frame rate to use on such a .gif, but I am fairly certain that there is indeed a guide if you poke around the forums.
Making a .gif isn't difficult at all. And the framerate doesn't matter, since BSF just uses each frame of the .gif at 30fps, regardless of whatever the delay between frames is for the .gif itself.

Honestly, making a weapons sprite is no different from making a section, except you need to remember two things: It will rotate around the middle pixel of the image file, so you'll need to center the weapon appropriately if you want it to rotate at a certain point. And animated gifs are easy. :3
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Anna wrote:The framerate doesn't matter, since BSF just uses each frame of the .gif at 30fps, regardless of whatever the delay between frames is for the .gif itself.
Excellent. Here I was, thinking BSF would be finicky about the whole thing.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

nope, it just runs the animations at half the frame rate of the game (except for vulcans, which run at the same rate as the game)
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...