WYRDYSM GAMES

Home of Battleships Forever
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:24 am 
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Ok, I want to make my ships consistent, but I'm not sure how the program figures out the actual speed of the ship. Is there some kind of formula that I can use to get the actual speed of each ship? Does the pixel size of a ship change this, or is it the sprite count? Is there a formula to figure the acceleration of the ship too? What are all the factors that go into figuring out both speed and acceleration? If anybody has an answer, I'd be grateful to them.
Thanks, Blue

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:11 am 
FOOLISH SAMURAI

Speed is exactly that. It is fixed, set in shipmaker. The size of the ship has no impact on it's handling behaviour beyond appearance.

What Speed and Accel actually are... well, I couldn't tell you that. Not sure exactly.

じしf_, )ノ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:13 am 
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Speed is the maximum velocity at which a ship can move around. This upper limit is calculated at pixels per second. A ship with 2.5 speed moves at 2.5 pixels a second when move forward.

Acceleration is the ship's ability to change velocity. It determines how quickly the ship can change its speed, including accelerating and braking. A ship with 2.5 speed and 0.75 acceleration will reach maximum speed at a little over 3 seconds, and can come to a complete stop from max speed in three seconds as well.

Note that maximum speeds and acceleration are at their max when the ship is moving forward. When moving sideways or backwards, it's not as agile.