Mine?

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Gunzershreck
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Mine?

Post by Gunzershreck »

I was looking arround the forums and i noticed people talking about mines How is this possible?
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

There are a couple of different ways.
Projectiles with incredibly slow speed (maybe even 0, I'm not sure if that gives a devide by zero error) and long lifetimes can be force-fired and will hang around in space untill something hits them or they simple fade out. I think Pulsars are good for this? Personally I'd like something that explodes, like a nuke, but I never tried that.
Another alternative is a ship without weapons, with kamikaze AI, that will home in on passing ships and try to explode all over them. Personally not a favorite of mine, I think they'd get shot at pretty quick.
Try it out, experiment untill you find something you like.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Chiiro wrote:There are a couple of different ways.
Projectiles with incredibly slow speed (maybe even 0, I'm not sure if that gives a devide by zero error) and long lifetimes can be force-fired and will hang around in space untill something hits them or they simple fade out. I think Pulsars are good for this? Personally I'd like something that explodes, like a nuke, but I never tried that.
Another alternative is a ship without weapons, with kamikaze AI, that will home in on passing ships and try to explode all over them. Personally not a favorite of mine, I think they'd get shot at pretty quick.
Try it out, experiment untill you find something you like.
I haven't done mines in a long time, but if I remember correctly, pulsars only start hitting things when they accelerate, so leaving it to sit after being launched may do nothing (I may be wrong).
Ship mines (ie ships with kamikaze ai) tend to be useless since the ai will shoot at them, and kamikaze ai is annoying as hell anyway (explodes at the wrong time or not at all).
One thing that worked for me (and it's what I ultimately ended up using) are tachyons. They act as a phase mine, doing constant damage to the ship that flew over them, looked pretty cool, and did their job flawlessly.
Gunzershreck
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Gunzershreck »

I tryed the nuke lol it was so funny i took out 6 ships