Detachable ship pieces

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Detachable ship pieces

Post by Silver Swordsman »

I recently watched the Star Wars prequel trilogy, and I saw that many ships had their personal "hyper drives" that were detachable.

On the other hand, after reading the documentation about thrusters, and how negative values would make the ship go faster if the thruster was destroyed, I set about thinking. The only way for that to apply would be for the thruster to be destroyed by enemy fire. However, such is a risky operation that may unintentionally damage other parts of the ship. The same goes for using the "Destroy" button.

Suggestion: Can we have a function in which sections are able to separate from the main "ship"? In other words, can we have only a part of the ship self destruct?

I'm not sure if anyone had brought this up before (I'm sure someone may have), but I saw no such thread.

I'm aware that this all depends on the creators, th15, Arc, and Kaelis, and I may get flamed for this, but I figured that this may be a good idea.
Last edited by Silver Swordsman on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InkFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InkFox »

I would second this, though it might be difficult to implement it would make creating super-ships more dynamic, and allow for a whole new category of alien races.
And so I curiously venture into the world of shipbuilding, unsure of what I might find...
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

I think the easiest method by which this could be implemented is to add a new option to triggers - self-destruct.

If you tie a set of sections to something and have that something self destruct, the other sections will fall away. Yes, they may end up hitting the ship and causing damage. However, I suggest doing it this way, because it would require the least amount of work.

While it would be nice to have whole sets of sections just separate without being treated as dead, to do so would require changing a lot of stuff, I would think. That is, right now, any parts that aren't attached to a real ship are considered dead, and all collisions will cause damage. The only way to keep them live is to add a core to it and set it to AI control. But where would you put the core? Maybe it could be the separated piece...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Detachable ship pieces

Post by Arcalane »

Silver Swordsman wrote:I'm aware that this all depends on the creators, th15 and Arc, and I may get flamed for this, but I figured that this may be a good idea.
All I did was weaponry, Kaelis deserves more credit.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Re: Detachable ship pieces

Arcalane wrote:
Silver Swordsman wrote:I'm aware that this all depends on the creators, th15 and Arc, and I may get flamed for this, but I figured that this may be a good idea.
All I did was weaponry, Kaelis deserves more credit.
Edited accordingly. Thanks.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Silver Swordsman wrote:I recently watched the Star Wars prequel trilogy
My condolances
Image Credit to crashtestdummy

Well what you can do is something like this. To have it be destroyed you have it right about triggers, but an easy way to accomplish that is to have an invisible section out in front of the ship that is the parent of the group you want destroyed. Long as it has moved away from your primary group first, your golden. Least that makes sense to me in my hungover state lol
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

jwa8402 wrote:
Well what you can do is something like this. To have it be destroyed you have it right about triggers, but an easy way to accomplish that is to have an invisible section out in front of the ship that is the parent of the group you want destroyed. Long as it has moved away from your primary group first, your golden. Least that makes sense to me in my hungover state lol
I think we're trying to find a way to get a ship to technically drop a piece, such as a ship that can drop off large, heavy engines or guns and go faster. (i.e. negative thruster values). I'm aware that floating debris could damage the ship, but it's better than waiting for enemy bullets to chew it off for us.

Your idea is to separate the ships far enough so that the main ship won't be compromised. However, to actually dispense the augments, you would need to use the D-stroy button, which in a combat situation is rather unhandy.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858