Question/Idea about Fighters

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

56er
Ensign
Ensign

Question/Idea about Fighters

Post by 56er »

Hey, I was scanning trough the forum for a solution to the fighter problem i had. When i read through the different threads, i got an idea:
Would i be possible to make a "squadron" of fighters, by putting the different fighter "parts" (i don't know the right term for the sections, sry) next to each other, and with let them move around a little bit, so it looks like you got 5 small (i mean very small) spacecrafts, flying around as 1 ship, and because they are all different party, the squadron can take loses like in (as an example) HW2, so they still in formation? I ain't working with SM so long, and nether can I use all functions of it, but if you get what i mean, would there be a way to do this?
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

oh yea. the only problem would be that once the head fighter would be destroyed, the entire squadron magically goes boom
naysayers will be shot
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Use move sections or turret sections for the 'non-squad leader' fighters to simulate a fighter squadron.

Of course, as Doogie mentioned, if the core/leader gets taken out...
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

could clump them up in a sort of "beeswarm" style look, so you could techincally get over the "head-fighter go boom, everyone go boom" problem.
56er
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 56er »

I was thinking to replace the core (i don't know if that is possible) and then put like 6 ships up, 5 in a line in front of the coreship, and the core itself behind, so it's kinda protected and won't be shot down instantly. After some trying, I also manged to get my the stock sections i used as placeholders to move for and backward, but i would like to see the small crafts all kind a drift, so i doesn't seem as if they would fly on rails next to each other...
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

well it wouldn't be too hard, i could probably do that even with my extremely basic knowledge of triggers. also u might want to use one section fighters like the ones found here
56er
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 56er »

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:43 am Post subject:
well it wouldn't be too hard, i could probably do that even with my extremely basic knowledge of triggers. also u might want to use one section fighters like the ones found here
I've already got them, but thank you for your help. I'll use the ones from Cheesy instead.

@Topic: Okay, ifigured it out, the fighters are moving slightly in to all kind of directions, but i would like to know if there is a kind of a "random" order, so the drifting really is unique. Also i got the problem, that if the fighters are to small there are some weird graphic problems appear. So i guess i only have to work out a trigger that stops the "floating" when the stand still, because that would look strange(dancing ships, lol).

edit: http://img341.imageshack.us/i/smscreen00.png/[/img]
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

just make the core so small it can't be seen, in which case it becomes impervious to attacks, and stick it at the rotation point of the squadron, it does however leave an invisible floating Debris that turrets and enemies target...
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Silverware wrote:just make the core so small it can't be seen, in which case it becomes impervious to attacks
How is that fair?
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

thanto_ wrote:
Silverware wrote:just make the core so small it can't be seen, in which case it becomes impervious to attacks
How is that fair?
A ship that cannot fire back is effectively not a ship anymore but a mere annoyance, I doubt a microscopic lifepod floating around will really disrupt anything as long as ships don't target it too much.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

why not make the squadron leader a small corvette or whatever with shields, this ensures that the leader survives long enough after the squad has been killed, make its weapons stick out of the shield so their easily destroyable, or make the squadron leader have no weapons at all, somewhat like a controller, that would probably balance things out as long as their not used en masse.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Or put a black aegis on each fighter targeting a high hp section over the core. It's not the nicest looking solution, but it gets the job done.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

ADM's suggesting a drone master/slave arragement
would work okay, but i think Bad Boy has the best idea so far
56er
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 56er »

Guess it's the best thing if i combine them both, because they both were good. I'll build a light armed corvette and link some deflectors from the fighters to it, so its protected and can be destroyed easily if more of half of the squadron is done.