how do i add more sections

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

hazelwooder
Commander
Commander

how do i add more sections

Post by hazelwooder »

i have downloaded loads of sections how do i add them to the ship maker and how do i add the ones that come with this version but are not in the stock sections list at the start? can i add them permanly so when i open the shipmaker it reads those sections and has them there?
Hege
Commander
Commander

Post by Hege »

Either edit the smsprites.ini manually and add the paths to it in a similiar nature in the ini (use your common logic with the "pos" and "secnum" here)

or just drag and drop sections files to the ship maker.

They can't really stay there permanently unless you edit the .ini itself.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/ddoxt0.gif[/img]
Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

I believe you can just open up the 'group arrange' in the tools tab, drag and drop any amount of sections into the four group panels. It's how I done it after messing about a bit. X3

If you wanted to completly make a new section-set, delete all the pieces in the group-arrange screen (click on the first piece of a group and hold shift down, click on the last piece of a group) and fill them with new sections, then save it as a new section ini file. ^.=.^ I hope that helped!

If it was coherant enough.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532]Reclamation - A twisted future role-play game.[/url]
hazelwooder
Commander
Commander

Post by hazelwooder »

thanks both of you i think im gona go for the second option i started editing the .ini file but its going to take ages the other way seems faster
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Hege wrote:They can't really stay there permanently unless you edit the .ini itself.
Wrong. You don't have to edit the ini. Just use the 'save sprites ini' function once youve arranged your groups.

Why does no one read the documentation? :cry:
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Kaelis wrote:Why does no one read the documentation? :cry:
1. We expect the documentation we're looking for to be built into SM, and it isn't. We want to read it, but it's not where we would expect it to be.

2. There's a ton of topped threads for documentation, almost all of which have nothing to do with what we're looking for, and the titles are somewhat deceiving in promise of scope, so when we think we've found the right thread, it doesn't cover what we want. So, we give up and ask. I mean, it's a forum, not a wiki.

3. Things aren't always listed the way we expect. For example, I could be looking for something under a specific term, and not find it, when it is listed as a different term. Also, the search function isn't always useful. It's all well and good to tell someone to search for "triggers", but the results are a generally not useful for someone who just wants to know how triggers work in detail, not how wonderful the triggers are for the orbital sword, or how many other noobs have no idea how triggers work, etc.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

What I wouldn't mind seeing is a few really good basic tutorials for newbies.
To make it easy for them to work out the basics.
And even some advanced tuts for the people who can't figure out triggers... like me.

The Documentation is the works of geeks who read code all day, not all of us can decipher what the doc's are telling us and fewer still can think of how to use what the doc's are telling us in ways that are effective and give us the output we want.

Just my 2c
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

thanto_ wrote:1. We expect the documentation we're looking for to be built into SM, and it isn't. We want to read it, but it's not where we would expect it to be.
It says right in the manual where you should go next, theres even a link to the thread. We can't include it in directly in the manual, since the manual is already too long.
thanto_ wrote:2. There's a ton of topped threads for documentation, almost all of which have nothing to do with what we're looking for, and the titles are somewhat deceiving in promise of scope, so when we think we've found the right thread, it doesn't cover what we want. So, we give up and ask. I mean, it's a forum, not a wiki.
There are only two documentation threads.
Silverware wrote:The Documentation is the works of geeks who read code all day, not all of us can decipher what the doc's are telling us and fewer still can think of how to use what the doc's are telling us in ways that are effective and give us the output we want.
During beta testing, there was no documentation whatsoever and little feedback from the developers, yet people managed to understand how everything works.

Furthermore, this is about group arrange and ini saving, which are rather simple and obvious features. You don't need a degree in computer tech to understand them.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

No but im a tech savvy geek and it took awhile before I found it out, nowhere in the forums mentions it cleanly and noone really uploads their sprites with any real instructions.

Maybe someone could make some and set them as a standard park of a download of custom sprites.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Silverware wrote:No but im a tech savvy geek
Not so tech savvy if other non-'tech savvy geek' people were able to figure it out even without the documentation.
Silverware wrote:nowhere in the forums mentions it cleanly
What are you talking about? Its explained clearly in the 'New Features Documentation' sticky (actually i just renamed it to 'Advanced Features Documentation'...), and the manual gives a direct link to the thread.

You know, before you claim something like that, its best to check whether its actually true first :|