ramming help..

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

abortedfetus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

ramming help..

Post by abortedfetus »

okay so i'm trying to build a ship that has a front end that can be used to ram others. I've set up a beamer on each side of the pointy end of the ship lol and set them up to fire constantly to a maximum range of 20. however, when i launch it in the sandbox the weapon sometimes actually reaches beyond the intended 20, does anyone know how to fix this?
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Beam weapons are finicky at close ranges (such as wonky hit detection).

Use an AoE projectile weapon like Plasma Charge instead.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
abortedfetus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by abortedfetus »

can you give me a list of weapons that could work for in this situation? just so i have options
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Squishy wrote:Beam weapons are finicky at close ranges (such as wonky hit detection).

Use an AoE projectile weapon like Plasma Charge instead.
Though AoE weapons are finicky as well, just in a different way.

Probably whatever you use won't fit perfectly, just gotta keep fiddling with the range and placements until you get the best estimation of how it should hit.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/IxraninEL/Screenies/AsiSig1.gif[/img]
abortedfetus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by abortedfetus »

so this is fun lol
range problems with beam weapons
random incomprehensible errors with plasma charges
i guess you really do need to tinker eh?
but thanks for the help so far guys :)
abortedfetus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by abortedfetus »

i must be special. i still can't get a good working set up for ramming
could somebody give me the numbers i should be putting in for some weapon?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well the way I did it was to make a driver weapon, doesn't matter what but I think I used a machine gun. You make it not fire by giving it zero burst and disabling firing on the edit 2 menu. I don't recall exact numbers but I think its relatively high reload, a clip of one, and a long duration. If your not careful with these settings it will lag the game by firing too many beams at once.

Then you take a beam, and give it a short range, like 50. Color it *near* black or give it an invisible bullet. Zero deviation and strafing, zero turning and a very small arc. Then set the machine gun as the link by right clicking.

That is just the way I did it but I'm sure there are better ways. If you have any more questions let me know and I'll put a demo ship together for you.
abortedfetus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by abortedfetus »

i'll give your technique a try thanks :)
EDIT TO AVOID DREADED DOUBLE POST:
this system works! set the range of the machine gun as the distance you want the ram to activate from the target, crank beam damage and voila! ship saw however this system still does suffer from that weird unsightly extended/stretched extra beam that does nothing

thanks for the help guys