Smartbomb-like weapon?

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Triggerhappypilot
Ensign
Ensign

Smartbomb-like weapon?

Post by Triggerhappypilot »

I'm looking to create an omnidirectional energy pulse weapon like the smartbombs in EVE online.

I played around with using the beam-sawblade trick, but it doesn't look very good. any suggestions as to how to do this?

The Beamsaw trick might work if i can figure out how to make it more transparent, but it still looks somewhat bad.

The ideal would be something like the Deiterling effect shockwave, except causing damage instead of moving things.

Ideas?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The Driver is quite popular for such, and it looks good if you make the launcher quite thin (0.2~) and set a decent colour. Unfortunately the scattering is kind of problematic as you need very high burst amounts to get a decent shockwave (150 or more), which makes them loud and fairly laggy. Then there's the problem of colliding with bullets and such.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Why not a Flashbolter with a range of zero and absurd splash radius linked to a target designator?

It would make for a very non-laggy compromise.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

SHAD0Wdump wrote:Why not a Flashbolter with a range of zero and absurd splash radius linked to a target designator?

Zero range would make it unable to target anything it wan't on top of, other than that, might work.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

SHAD0Wdump wrote:linked to a target designator?
That is what makes it target things outside zero range.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

IBurn36360 wrote:
SHAD0Wdump wrote:Why not a Flashbolter with a range of zero and absurd splash radius linked to a target designator?

Zero range would make it unable to target anything it wan't on top of, other than that, might work.
IBurn, do learn what reading is. It'll significantly help your ability to reply to posts without making a complete idiot of yourself.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

In short, what you are trying to make is a two staged weapon.

The first part is the targeter, it tracks incoming targets and fires when in range. It won't actually do damage or shot anything visible (0.1 scale grey shot) .

The second is the actual bomb, it can be any weapon with AOE effect. Basically, it's linked/triggered to the targeter so when it fires, the bomb fires as well and detonates at very short range so it looks like the bomb is exploding under the ship. You can also set it to fire after a delay too. I recommend setting the range to 10 since 0 range can often cause headaches.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

I tried to do this once, too. The best tip I can give you is to remember the "Force Fire" trigger mode.
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]