Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

WUT
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Shipmaking Q&A

Post by WUT »

Thx for the fast reply, now it works! ;D

So, I just made a small Ship...

But I've got some other questions now.
How do I turn off that annoying Glow when I test my Ship in Skirmish mode?
How do I set depth for Weapons and such Stuff?
How do you make those exhaust coming out of your custom Ships?
How do you colour Weapons like the Custom Sprites?
Jokarun
Commander
Commander

Post by Jokarun »

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5092

I think the faq ((link above)) has all the answers you need...
I don't know about you; But I generally don't store games in RAM.
~~Take a cookie~~
J.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

WUT wrote:How do I turn off that annoying Glow when I test my Ship in Skirmish mode?
I am not going to answer the question, and I'll delete any post made in response to you that does. Open your eyes and look for yourself. This question has been asked and answered dozens and dozens of times, no doubt on several occasions in this very thread. So don't be such a lazy twit.
How do I set depth for Weapons and such Stuff?
Press W, this will set them to the same depth as the section they're parented to.
How do you make those exhaust coming out of your custom Ships?
The Thruster EX Module
How do you colour Weapons like the Custom Sprites?
Press '
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
WUT
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by WUT »

ok, thanks for the answers, I'll check the FAQ from now on ;)
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Alright, so yesterday I was looking at Starstruck's new ship here, and wondered how in the world he created the missiles-that-would-launch-directly-and-not-reappear. I have seen this done once or twice, but after an hour or two of rooting through the forums, I still don't know how to do this as such. Any chance of enlightenment?
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

First off, mockup missiles.
Second off, triggers that lower the alpha of the mockup missiles each time the weapon fires, or only once.

Does that answer your question?
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

yeah just wondering how the reactive shields (the ones that only light up when they are shot at) work, couldnt find any info on that.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Way I do it is to take whatever you want to use for a shield and make it invisible, then aegis it, then set the aegis really close to black, like 2. This only flares when hit but has the disadvantage of either being impervious to a weapon or taken down in one shot by a weapon. One alternative is to make several layers of low hp aegised shielding, each one only slightly smaller than the last so ,assuming a weapon(or many) is powerful enough to destroy it, the ship can still take multiple hits before being hulled. Hope that helps.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Ok, AD, what I interpret you saying is that I create a missile launcher with the sprite of the missile, and have it's projectile as the same sprite. Then, I just set up a trigger that has the weapon disappear each time it fires?
OR, I have a section that looks like the missile, and that is what is turned invisible each time the weapon fires, the weapon itself being permanently invisible.

Or am I completely off track?
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

You are in fact completely correct.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Both of you are completely off track. Jesus.

The weapon is permanently invisible and the missile section moves under the ship in a single frame when fired. This allows the damned thing to be reloaded eventually. And even if it doesn't reload, this prevents enemy shots from hitting invisible sections where the missiles used to be.
Preacher wrote:yeah just wondering how the reactive shields (the ones that only light up when they are shot at) work, couldnt find any info on that.
Another method, and the one I use, is to make a Particle Gun turret that holds an invisible, dark-aegised, arc-shaped section some distance from the ship. Stat the Particle Gun for 180 arc range and 360 turning. This sort of PD shield will stop most shots but gets overwhelmed eventually. I think it also looks cooler.
WUT
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by WUT »

So, I've made a ship with rotating parts. Imagine 2 doors that oben and some rocket launch thing comes out. ok. now, the problem is, that only the first time it does it it works well. after eacht next time it rotates/moves, the parts get more and more out of sync. how to fix0r it?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Post up the .sb4 and I'll see if I can determine the problem.

And don't ever, ever include retarded "leetspeak" like "fix0r" in your posts ever again, or so help me.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
WUT
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by WUT »

Here you got it:
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/51428975/file.html

I hope you can determinate the problem :)
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Alright, SS, just to be perfectly clear: I have a weapon, invisible. Said weapon's bullet is the missile. On the ship, we have a section that looks like the mounted missile. I set up a trigger so that when the weapon fires, the missile mockup is instantly transported under the ship.
[extrapolation]
Then, I assume I set a trigger for the mockup to return to it's original place.
[/extrapolation]

And for God's sake, WUT, don't provoke Silver.