Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

And then find a way to explain the false hestias' deflectors targeting the peitho, and then explaining why the death of the peitho causes the death of the hestias.
It is good in theory, bad in execution.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
warhammer651
Commander
Commander
Location: i'll giv you a hint. it's somewhere in the vicinity of the third planet from the sun

Post by warhammer651 »

*de-lurks*
long story short: i put the tesla weapon on a ship, but i don't see a thing when it fires. help

*re-lurks*
Last edited by warhammer651 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
if everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.......idiot.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

warhammer651 wrote:long story short: i put the tesla weapon on a ship, but i don't see a thing when it fires. help

*re-lurks*
IIRC Teslas don't work if you're not running with surfaces on.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
warhammer651
Commander
Commander
Location: i'll giv you a hint. it's somewhere in the vicinity of the third planet from the sun

Post by warhammer651 »

crap......
hopefully my new PC is fixed soon
if everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.......idiot.
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

BizzarreCoyote wrote:
Hypothetical Wisdom wrote:Is there a way to make your own formations, like the Peitho Deflector formation seen in level 8?
Well, you could build a ship that looks like a group of ships...
I tried the idea of cloning a mini fighter into many to mimic a formation, it doesn't look nice because of the way they move and turn as a whole and the exhaust effect on the core.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Ok, I have to get this out there. I'm really sorry about the slight off-topicness, Arcalane.

I think the main reason for the 'deluge' of questions and the mass of frustration about the manual, ____ing tooltips, and Kaelis's post, is this:

The 'manual' for the shipmaker said that it was not intended to be a full manual, and if you wanted in depth information, go to the forums

Well, I read that, and I came to the forums, like I'm sure that many other people also did. Now I'm here, and, contrary to what the manual had me beleive, there is very little in the way of in-depth information as of yet, and everyone here mostly points to two places for more information: Kaelis's post, and, the manual (the same maunual that directed them to the forums).

I'm not trying to point fingers, but I hope this offers an explanation as to why nobady seems satisfied with the response "read the manual."

And just so this post has a reason to be in here...

What is Blending Mode, and how are Normal and Additive Blending modes different?
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Hypothetical Wisdom wrote:Is there a way to make your own formations, like the Peitho Deflector formation seen in level 8?
Unfortunately not. The FormRank setting (if it still exists) defines the ship's position in the standard block formation (lower ships go towards the front) but it's not really the same.

##
What is Blending Mode, and how are Normal and Additive Blending modes different?
Blend Mode defines how the sprite is drawn. Normal mode is just that. Nothing special. Additive mode means that it adds it's colours on top of anything underneath it, giving a semi-transparent effect (similar to alpha/transparency) or a mix of colours.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
CmdrTimo
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Location: In the restaurant on the end of the universe. (or Seattle)

Post by CmdrTimo »

Venator wrote:
CmdrTimo wrote:Nah, I tried and the game gave me an error. I'm starting to think that it is a custom section, one whole section rotating.
Nope, they're separate. It is possible to have a circle with multiple sections, you just have to parent them properly.
How so?
And is there a way to make the section coordinate differ from where the sprite itself is? This way when the section is rotating, it appears that it is traveling in a circle instead of staying in one place.
"War: The mad game the world loves to play." ~Jonathan Swift

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."-Chesty Puller
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

No, there is no way to do that. Instead, make a rotating section (possibly make it invisible), then parent the section you want to 'travel in a circle' to it.

But rotsections are bugged anyway, so...
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

I'm having issues with the ship deployer. I've seen that your supposed to type in the name of the ship, and then add .shp to the end of the name. Are you sure that's it? Because when I go into sandbox and try to use the ship deployer, it gives me an "Invalid Ship File!" error. It also throws one of those white error windows.
for object ShipDeployer:

Error in code at line 13:
obj.speed = l_special2

at position 14: Cannot assign to the variable
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

What kind of ship is it? Can you post an sb4?
Kruxynus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kruxynus »

EDIT: Nevermind.
Last edited by Kruxynus on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Insert wise quote/saying here]
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

It's a simple, 3 section, 1 weapon, 1 hidden thrusterEx ship. All custom sprites, except for the thruster. Small drone type thing.

As for getting the .sb4, it's proving a bit difficult. My computer will not show .sb4 files, even though I can load them on shipmaker and sandbox them succesfully.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Whats the path youve used for your ship file? It needs to be relative to the directory BattleshipsForever.exe is in.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Ok, two things:

1: I tried putting a section with additive blending mode into a little ship of mine, and I got this error message:

for object ShipSection:

Error in code at line 12:
(tr_ontype != 0 || tr_offtype != 0) ) then

at position 5: Unknown variable tr_ontype

The tr_ontype thing makes me think that it might have something to do with triggers. I have a driver and turretsection in my ship, is that related to the problem? I wouldn't think so, because the ship worked fine until I added the additive section. Go figure.

2: I have a turretsection in my ship, and apparently the turretsection has a 360-degree range, even though the driver weapon doesn't. How can I fix this?
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]