Shipmaking Q&A

Got questions about Shipmaker? Get answers here. Please read the stickied topics first!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

Kaelis wrote:Whats the path youve used for your ship file? It needs to be relative to the directory BattleshipsForever.exe is in.
Must I type the file path even if it's in the the custom ships folder of the BSF install?

EDIT: Apparently I do. Thank you for the info, it works fine now. Although the ships deployed won't move to the location I tell them to deploy to, so I have to move the carrier ship to get to them.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

First My setup.

Q1: When weapons are linked, they function similar to this:

But when unlinked, They Function like they should, Turning with the Driver/Turret section appropriately.

What am I doing wrong?

-------------------------------------------

Q2: Do Linked weapons share the "Special" ability's of the parent weapon? When I made a Repeater as a parent, the linked MG's gained the bonus of having there Fire Rate Divided by 2 each frame. And I thought "Thats pretty sweet!".
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Q1: Your parenting/linking setup seems fine, did you set the linked weapons to 0 arc range, though?

Im not sure what exactly do you mean by 'similar to this'. By what i can tell from that tiny image, it works fine? Maybe you should give me a demo sb4.

It also might simply be another bug.

Q2: Linked weapons share angle with their link parent, and they fire at the same time, disregarding their own clip/fire rate/reload stats.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Q2: Ah, I see. I guess no homing HVR's coming soon.

Q1: Ok, I will get you a sb4 shortly that you can use. (No Custom Sprites) Just hang there.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

I'm trying to use the ship deployer to create a tiny ship that can replicate itself, like binary fission. The problem is, each new ship can instantly replicate itself, since each new ship has a fully-charged ship deployer, and by the time the target is destroyed, I have like 50 of these little ships! (I'm using these ships as allies, btw, not player ships.)
Is there a way to set a module to start with 0 energy?
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

Kaelis wrote: Im not sure what exactly do you mean by 'similar to this'. By what i can tell from that tiny image, it works fine? Maybe you should give me a demo sb4.
If you look closely at the picture blue echo gave you, you'll see that the turret section is pointed in one direction. The long white thing on one side of the turret is actually 3 of Arcalane's Hevy AC sprites also pointing in the same direction. What Echo is saying is, the turret moves towards enemies, but the weapons parented to it don't move with their turret.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

ODST: Something like that. The Screenie was a bad example.

Zephyr

Here Kaelis. This should be a familiar ship :) .
Kruxynus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kruxynus »

"Advanced component parameters and features
All components...

...rotating and moving sections, section effects, triggers, and more. For more information on how to use them, refer to forums."

Do NOT tell me to look at the F1 manual, because i did, and it told me to look here.

*cough* how do i make the sections rotate? i looked in the Ed2 tab of a section, but i don't understand the properties at all. can someone offer a step-by-step guide of how to get a part to rotate by a specific degree in a specific direction and then back with a waiting period in-between?
[Insert wise quote/saying here]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

TheBlueEcho - Just checked, and yes, it is a bug.

Kruxynus - Proper documentation will come soon, patience. Most of the 'advanced features' are broken anyway.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

At Kae: Well, Good news I guess.

Kruxynus - Well, at least to get you started, go to Ed2 tab on a desired section. Set the Rotating option to Enabled. Then set CW Rot Speed to 1
and CCW Rot Speed to 0.04. There, You should have a basic rotation Section.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

One last question: When you all get the guides and such set up, Will you clean up this forum and start fresh? Or will it remain under Lockdown to prevent Rubbish? Or Both?
Kruxynus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kruxynus »

TheBlueEcho wrote:At Kae: Well, Good news I guess.

Kruxynus - Well, at least to get you started, go to Ed2 tab on a desired section. Set the Rotating option to Enabled. Then set CW Rot Speed to 1
i would like an explanation of what the propeties ACTUALLY DO instead of "set it EXCACTLY LIKE THIS so it will do EXCACTLY THIS every time." i want to be able to know what does what and make things with it.
[Insert wise quote/saying here]
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Kruxynus wrote:i would like an explanation of what the propeties ACTUALLY DO instead of "set it EXCACTLY LIKE THIS so it will do EXCACTLY THIS every time." i want to be able to know what does what and make things with it.
In my fiddlings I've only ever managed to get a section to rotate clockwise at the indicated speed (degrees per frame).
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

Krux:

I'm sure that they're working on such guides even as I'm posting this message, as they have been requested several times b4 already. As of now, I think most ppl are leaving triggers alone for the time being, and I've heard rumors of a bug involving rotating sections. For now, just ask questions here, and wait until the guides come out to start messing with triggers and moving sections. In fact, you may just want to wait until the next BSF/SM release to try moving sections, if whast I've heard about that bug is true.
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Kruxynus wrote:
TheBlueEcho wrote:Kruxynus - Well, at least to get you started, go to Ed2 tab on a desired section. Set the Rotating option to Enabled. Then set CW Rot Speed to 1
i would like an explanation of what the propeties ACTUALLY DO instead of "set it EXCACTLY LIKE THIS so it will do EXCACTLY THIS every time." i want to be able to know what does what and make things with it.
It makes a section, and all the sections attached to it, FUCKING ROTATE.

Jesus Christ, you'd think a nice and simple name like "Rotating" would be self ex-fucking-planitory, but no, there's always some barely literate little fuck who can't even figure out "Hmm, they're called Rotating Sections. I guess that means that they rotate". No, you have to scream "WAAAH WHAT DO THEY DO!?" People like you are the reason I'm so fucking impatient with people asking retarded questions. 'Cause if you can't grasp simple word comprehension, then you're sure as hell never going to contribute anything worthwhile ever.

And yes, Hypothetical Wisdom is correct, triggers, moving sections and rotating sections are all rather buggy in the current release. Better to wait until the bugfixed release, which I understand should be coming out soon.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.